Money-saving tips

General chat about anything else goes here.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Money-saving tips

Post by Gullscorer »

I saw this on Yahoo and thought it worth a mention. You can save money with these cards: https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/great ... 23525.html
I'm definitely going to get the food discount cards..!!

Which prompts me to ask: does anybody have any other money-saving tips?

Some I can think of immediately are:

Don't overspend, don't exceed what your budget allows, never get into debt. Obviously some debts, such as a mortgage, are unavoidable, but these should be few and far between.

If you do get into debt, live frugally whilst paying the debts off as quickly as possible. Get advice from the CAB or Step Change debt charity or similar; don't ever pay companies for debt advice.

Remember, if you borrow in order to buy something, you have to repay the loan plus interest. But if you save the money you need before buying, you also get paid interest.

Everyone, I trust, shops around for the cheapest retail items. But don't forget you can do the same for banking, insurance, gas, electricity, telephone and broadband, even solicitors, accountants, and financial advisers. And, of course, loans and credit cards..

A useful website is: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

If you have any money-saving tips, or know of any special offers or places offering good value, let us know..
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

I swear by TopCashBack. Sign up.
Whenever you buy something online, login to your account and click through to the site you are buying from and get a % cash back paid to you from your purchase. I've made nearly £500 on this site. Biggest pay outs for insurance buying and switching energy suppliers.

Happy saving!
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Just don't spend money. :~D
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

Have a separate bank account to your wife/partner. We had a joint account for years and it was permanently empty, we split for a short time and went our separate ways financially, then got back together but kept separate accounts. She earns more than me but within very little time I have a 5 figure current account balance and Mrs Beard has nothing despite us splitting the bills down the middle. :-/
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

EmetEdadsBeard wrote:Have a separate bank account to your wife/partner. We had a joint account for years and it was permanently empty, we split for a short time and went our separate ways financially, then got back together but kept separate accounts. She earns more than me but within very little time I have a 5 figure current account balance and Mrs Beard has nothing despite us splitting the bills down the middle. :-/
Hate to say this, I may be very much mistaken, but perhaps she's gradually stashing her money away in a secret account while you go on thinking she has nothing, with a view to eventually obtaining a court order to have you kicked out of your own home, along with false accusations, a court order to freeze and seize your own assets, a 'Non-Molestation Order' and an 'Occupation Order', to name but a few. Any supposed 50-50 financial split on divorce or separation would be in reality very much in her favour. You've already split up in the past. The signs are not auspicious.. :-/
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

top money-saving tip for Gullscorer; if you're going to start a company, hire only women. It's totally ok to pay them 70-75% of what you would to a man!

*retreats into bunker, locks door*
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

happytorq wrote:top money-saving tip for Gullscorer; if you're going to start a company, hire only women. It's totally ok to pay them 70-75% of what you would to a man!
*retreats into bunker, locks door*
Have you nothing better to contribute to this thread?

I know you're being mischievous, Happytorq, because we both know it ain't ok and it doesn't happen: http://forum.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6158

Please stay in your bunker and keep the door locked until you feel better.. :na:
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

Gullscorer wrote:Have you nothing better to contribute to this thread?
Oh, gullscorer, you are a tease. "Have you nothing better to contribute?"

Why, hello, pot. This is kettle. He is also black.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

It looks like you have no proper money-saving tips to offer. Come on Happytorq, admit it. You're a troll, aren't you..?? ;-) :nod:
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Don't spend what you haven't got.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

Gullscorer wrote:It looks like you have no proper money-saving tips to offer. Come on Happytorq, admit it. You're a troll, aren't you..?? ;-) :nod:
Well, duh, of course I'm a troll. The only time i ever look on the Popside forum now is if I think there's a small chance to troll you. Otherwise I'd get lost in the morass of A Voice for Men links and posts about how the media are biased against men who are alleged of sexual assault, and that generally just depresses me so much I'd rather not get involved.

But this - this is childish and puerile and therefore suits me down to the ground.

nyer nyer gullscorer! :na:

That said, maybe i should say something at least close to the point of the thread. So.
Similar to what Emet said, if you're married or in a long term relationship, multiple bank accounts really help. 1 each for individuals and a joint one for bills. Have salary/wages paid into the separate ones and then transfer X amount (the same amount, ideally, but you can negotiate!) into the joint one. Use that one solely for paying rent/mortgage, utilities, food etc. If you do it right you can use that as a sort of savings (e.g. your bills are £1500 a month, put £1000 each in per month) that you can then take advantage of later on, like for a joint holiday or something.

Think this also gives the benefit of allowing the pair of you to maintain a certain amount of independence.

Oh, and another thing -people tend to keep all their change in a jar or something and increasingly use those coinstar machines to count it all. Not sure if this applies in the UK, honestly, but they charge a pretty hefty commission (It's about 8% over here) but you can avoid that by having them dispense money as a gift card for something like Amazon.

cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Borrow shed loads of money and don't pay it back, go bankrupt and then start the whole cycle again.

Wait, that's how football works...
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"