South Devon Highway: please vote (deadline 30 Nov 2016)

General chat about anything else goes here.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

South Devon Highway: please vote (deadline 30 Nov 2016)

Post by Gullscorer »

Devon County Council want your opinions regarding the future of the main road through Kingskerswell. Construction work on the South Devon Link Road is now well underway and, when it opens, it will provide an opportunity to permanently improve local accessibility along and across a road that has for many years been a major barrier:

https://www.devonnewscentre.info/locals ... skerswell/

South Devon Link Road (Kingskerswell By-pass) website: http://southdevonlinkroad.co.uk/
Last edited by Gullscorer on 15 Nov 2016, 09:36, edited 5 times in total.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

On schedule, and now known as the South Devon Highway. Was going to post a link to a video via the Herald Express but the Herald Express website is almost impossible to navigate and their advertisements are ridiculously intrusive. http://www.southdevonlinkroad.co.uk/
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

ordinarily I skim past Gullscorer's posts on the Popside but this is actually quite interesting. When I was on Torquay I had a look at the plans in the library, and by then (it was last december) they were well on the way to building it. Hoping to drive on the completed things when/if I come back this winter.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

V-maxed the Jag about 24 hours after it was opened. Hoping, for a short while at least, to have held the speed record along there.

If anyone has every done more than 156.5mph over the Clifton Suspension Bridge, I'd like to know. Convinced that record is still mine.

Oddly, that stretch is also an inappropriately low 50 limit.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

ferrarilover wrote:
If anyone has every done more than 156.5mph over the Clifton Suspension Bridge, I'd like to know. Convinced that record is still mine.

Matt.
I would imagine plenty have, after all it IS a long way to fall! Fair play to you for surviving it ..... I guess you must have been pretty desperate .... but then they all are. Good to hear that you are still with us and hope that things are better for you now...
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Ha hahaha, I'm fine now, ta.

Interestingly, the greatest distance between the top of the highest point of the bridge and the water below is 101m. Acceleration due to gravity is 9.81m/second^2. This gives a pleasing terminal velocity of, as near as makes no difference, exactly 100mph. The answer from.a more realistic jumping point of the roadway gives a figure closer to 70mph.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Wouldn't it be more fun to use a parachute? :)

As for doing more than 156.5mph over the Clifton Suspension Bridge, I believe a number of aircraft have managed the feat.. :-D