News you might not have heard

General chat about anything else goes here.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

New York Lawsuit seeks 'legal personhood' for chimpanzee: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12 ... anzee?lite
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Driver gets stuck on steps: http://www.thisisguernsey.com/news/2013 ... own-steps/
That's a mistake anybody could make. The road signs over there are very confusing. They changed them around seventy years ago to confuse the German army, and forgot to keep a record of which signs originally went where... :~D
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Following the Autumn Statement by the Chancellor of the Exchequer, I heard somebody say that the government has borrowed more money over the past three years than the labour government did over the previous thirteen years, which perhaps explains the tightening of public belts all round. That was news to me. But how true is it? I've not had time to check, but the truth is out there.. http://www.statista.com/statistics/2827 ... y-on-y-uk/
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

The previous Government spent money they didn't have in fighting wars we didn't want. They then handed over to some grown ups who had to borrow like crazy to fend off not only spiralling national debt, but also the deepest financial crisis of all time.

Imagine a bloke buys a car from new. He keeps it for 5 years, but never do much as changes the oil.
The next owner then has to spend £1000s putting right all the problems. Is that the fault of owner one or two?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Absolutely agree with you here Matt. Or do I..? If the previous government didn't have the money to spend, they had to borrow it to spend it. So the present government would not have borrowed, for a second time, money the previous government already borrowed and spent. It would simply be trying to repay that money already borrowed. Yet it appears this government has borrowed more in three years than Labour borrowed in thirteen. Even allowing for the fact that all governments borrow money, given that in addition to all their borrowing they have been drastically cutting spending, one has to ask, why? Where is all the money going? Very confusing..!!

So where's the truth? The public hardly ever gets the full picture, or the true one, if it listens only to politicians. And, that apart, to my mind they're all as bad as each other; certainly to look at them they all appear to be out of the same mould.

There's usually much more to lots of things in life than immediately meets the eye; hardly anything is that simple. Which is what helps to keep life interesting and hopefully enjoyable.

Anyway, we'll both be voting UKIP in the next election..?? :) ;-)
Last edited by Gullscorer on 05 Dec 2013, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Hahaha, nope, 'fraid not.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Not a bad idea!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

U.S. woman raised over $60,000 by claiming she was poor: http://www.slate.com/articles/business/ ... _poor.html
Obviously not poor any more (if she ever was), but all contributions gratefully received...