Thought For the Day

General chat about anything else goes here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Crab sticks don't actually contain any crab and since 1993 manufacturers have been legally obliged to label them 'crab flavoured sticks'.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Charming company turn lowly sandwich into rich banquet.

charlie chan.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Jesus, these get worse! :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

My favourite is one i found recently from German, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe and it made me change. For years i had been trying to get somewhere in life with hurdles blocking my path causing me great anguish and frustration and then i read this:

WHAT IS IMPORTANT IN LIFE IS LIFE AND NOT THE RESULT OF LIFE.

I took it to mean that you can strive for something all of your life, beat yourself up if you don't get there and if you DO get there and have spent your life trying to get there and letting life pass you by then what do you do then?

You could exist for years and years striving for an ideal and before you know it you are old.

Just enjoy the here and now and don't worry about the future.

Another quote from a band mate was basically, "don't worry about it until it becomes a problem". This makes sense and as someone who worries all the time about sh*t then i found that by saying this it helped to calm. When something becomes a problem then deal with it but until then don't worry about it.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

The man who has no imagination has no wings.

-Muhammad Ali

He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.

-Muhammad Ali
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

The thing is though chunky, why is it deemed necessary to 'accomplish' things in life? That is what I don't like about a lot of these 'inspirational quotes'. It assumes that we must all be striving for greatness or fulfilment. What is wrong with settling for a normal job, having an unspectacular life and just being happy with what you have? I feel that is why lots of people are so unhappy because they have unrealistic expectations of themselves. I have come to accept that what is - is and so long as I do my bit and bring up my family learning to be a decent citizen and respectful then it really doesn't matter.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:The thing is though chunky, why is it deemed necessary to 'accomplish' things in life? That is what I don't like about a lot of these 'inspirational quotes'. It assumes that we must all be striving for greatness or fulfilment. What is wrong with settling for a normal job, having an unspectacular life and just being happy with what you have? I feel that is why lots of people are so unhappy because they have unrealistic expectations of themselves. I have come to accept that what is - is and so long as I do my bit and bring up my family learning to be a decent citizen and respectful then it really doesn't matter.
well as far as im concerned if you or anybody do those things you have accomplished much in life.

its all about the simple things really.

i always look at what i have and realise it could be much worse. by having a family and keeping a roof over our head i am accomplishing something all the time.

accomplishing something doesnt have to be massive things or sport or number 1 records or earning millions.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

True chunky, often just making ends meet and trying not to reveal any weaknesses to your kids is an accomplishment in itself.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:True chunky, often just making ends meet and trying not to reveal any weaknesses to your kids is an accomplishment in itself.
exactly that, :bow:

love your earlier post -
WHAT IS IMPORTANT IN LIFE IS LIFE AND NOT THE RESULT OF LIFE.

I took it to mean that you can strive for something all of your life, beat yourself up if you don't get there and if you DO get there and have spent your life trying to get there and letting life pass you by then what do you do then?

You could exist for years and years striving for an ideal and before you know it you are old.

Just enjoy the here and now and don't worry about the future.
and exactly that we are accomplishing something in every day life, in the here and now, dont worry too much about the past and certainly not about the future. many of us probably learn that $h1t the hard way.

our time though is now, every day that we strive and survive, keep going, look after ourselves and our families and be a decent person we are definitely accomplishing much.

i do wonder how different things could be, but i dont let it worry me anymore. i'm just grateful for what i have and the way things are. it could always be worse.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

:goodpost:

It could definitely be worse, we could be either of the G's! A Greek or a Garg!! :'(
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Life is real! Life is earnest!
And the grave is not its goal.
Dust thou art, to dust returnest,
was not spoken of the soul.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, "A Psalm of Life"
Last edited by Gullscorer on 05 Aug 2013, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

I actually understood that Mick and it is very true indeed. :-D
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Today we define success by publicity and bank accounts. But that's not really success at all. Don't believe the hype. Success is ephemeral. You have to define it yourself.

Chris Noth