Thought For the Day

General chat about anything else goes here.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

You don't know about real loss, 'cause that only occurs when you've loved something more than you love yourself. And I doubt you've ever dared to love anybody that much.

Robin Williams in Good Will Hunting

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

'I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It’s not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone.'

Robin Williams as Lance Clayton in 'World’s Greatest Dad' (2009)
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Anyone who thinks that one individual can't make a difference has never spent the night in a tent with a mosquito.. :-/
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

'Israel must invent dangers, and to do this it must adopt the methods of provocation and revenge. And above all, let us hope for a new war with the Arab countries, so that we may finally get rid of our troubles and acquire our space.'

From the diary of Moshe Sharett, Israeli's first Foreign Minister 1948 - 1954 and Prime Minister 1954 - 1956
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

'I can assure you that 'flying saucers', given that they exist, are not constructed by any power on Earth.'
President Harry S. Truman, at a press conference in Washington DC, 4 April 1950.

'I occasionally think how quickly our differences worldwide would vanish if we were facing an alien threat from outside this world. And yet I ask, is not an alien force already among us?'
President Ronald Reagan, in a speech to the United Nations General Assembly, 21 September 1987.

'I don’t laugh at people anymore when they say they’ve seen UFOs. I’ve seen one myself. I was with a group of about twenty people getting ready to go into a Lion’s club meeting; I was the district governor of the Lion’s Club. And we saw this strange light coming from the West, a very small light, and it was getting bright. So we watched it approach and it came in between the trees. It got close enough so it appeared to be about as big as a moon. And it changed colors from green to red to white and it stayed there for a while. We were aghast. And then it just moved back to the West and it disappeared.'
President Jimmy Carter, in a radio interview, 12 December 1992.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

The Six Mistakes of Man
1.The delusion that personal gain is made by crushing others.
2.The tendency to worry about things that cannot be changed or corrected.
3.Insisting that a thing is impossible because we cannot accomplish it.
4.Refusing to set aside trivial preferences.
5.Neglecting development and refinement of the mind,and not acquiring the habit of reading and studying.
6.Attempting to compel others to believe and live as we do.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Jesus preached for three years and the rabbis did nothing. He threw the bankers/moneylenders out of the temple and they had him crucified within days.

The rich and powerful elite will burn the planet to the ground before they give up what they have.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.
Desmond Tutu
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

You have been lied to by your government and the food industry about health and nutrition your entire life. And I don’t just mean little white lies. I mean great big, nasty, evil disease-causing lies designed to addict you to toxic foods, produced by toxic means, so that you stuff yourself with them until you croak.

One of these lies is actually a Big White Lie. Sugar. Refined sugar is a toxic, disease-causing, and highly addictive substance that is added to thousands of food products not to make them sweet but to addict you to it and to keep you coming back for more, literally until it kills you.

Keep in mind that some degree of sugars does occur naturally in some foods. I am not suggesting the elimination of any particular food group, and I am not even saying that I will only be suggesting recipes that don’t contain any sugar or sugar substitutes.

Carbohydrates, fats, and protein are going to be parts of any way of eating that anyone will stick with. And while complete and total sugar elimination is impossible, it is important to know that sugar is not a food group. It contains no nutrients, healthy fats, enzymes, or protein. Unless you are fond of some avoidable diseases, you will want to cut sugar and sugar substitute consumption drastically.

Before your brain goes into panic mode, that does not mean you need to be deprived of delicious, satisfying food, even sweet foods. You just don’t have to get there with a hundred times more sugars than it requires.

Paul Elam
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them.

In this formulation, I do not imply, for instance, that we should always suppress the utterance of intolerant philosophies; as long as we can counter them by rational argument and keep them in check by public opinion, suppression would certainly be unwise. But we should claim the right to suppress them if necessary even by force; for it may easily turn out that they are not prepared to meet us on the level of rational argument, but begin by denouncing all argument; they may forbid their followers to listen to rational argument, because it is deceptive, and teach them to answer arguments by the use of their fists or pistols.

We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant. We should claim that any movement preaching intolerance places itself outside the law, and we should consider incitement to intolerance and persecution as criminal, in the same way as we should consider incitement to murder, or to kidnapping, or to the revival of the slave trade, as criminal.

Karl Popper