Politics

General chat about anything else goes here.
S4fedr1ve
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Andy Donnelly

Post by S4fedr1ve »

Do you believe in polls?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Depends where the poll was taken, I would say London or Stoke. ;-) Whether or not the poll is accurate is not the bigger picture, there is a growing ground swell of support for Trump's politics in this country, and the French and Dutch are heading the same way, the Obama's, Merkel's and Hollande's (who's now doing a runner) of this world are the creators of this, and are now reaping what they've sown.

I think the main problem with this ban imposed by the U.S is not the ban itself, but the way it's been done, to fast, ill-thought out. But the thing to remember here, this was one of Trumps election pledges, and he was elected by the people under their electoral system ( and before we say it, none are perfect ) after all who complained in this country when UKIP managed 1 MP from 4 million votes.

Getting back top the point, here we have a head of state, government doing exactly what he said he would, what bizarrely weird notion that is, instead of the usual lie's we see peddled just to get elected.

And going of topic again, this isn't meant as criticism of Peter Tatchell, but he's say right wing populism is just a fad, then I watch some of the great brexit debate in parliament, and you have Farron manufacturing figures to suit his argument ( and they say, leavers told lies) there has been plenty of evidence these last two days, that many elites still just do not get it, just brand them thick and racist, that should do it.

Right wing populism isn't fad, it's here to stay and growing.
Formerly known as forevertufc
S4fedr1ve
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Andy Donnelly

Post by S4fedr1ve »

The reason i ask is that another you gov poll has come out where 51% say that the government must have agreement with the EU on the terms of Brexit. And not just walk away if there is no agreement. Basically you can usually find a poll which goes along with your views somewhere.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Given the record of opinion polls in relation to the EU referendum, and the 2015 general election, one would have to be a bit crazy to blindly believe in polls, though they are definitely more accurate than certain petitions with their dubious, almost certainly fraudulent, numbers of signatories.

But I believe in miracles.. :)
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

A lot of those who voted leave or trump were disenfranchised voters who had either fallen off the electoral register or were never registered in the first place. I suspect that when the polling companies drew up their samples they didn't bother to include people from this group because they didn't expect them to go out and vote.
Polls cant be compared to petitions. Those who sign petitions are self selecting, hence all petitions are biased and never fair, were as an opinion poll is, if done properly, a random sample of the population.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 02 Feb 2017, 09:29 A lot of those who voted leave or trump were disenfranchised voters who had either fallen off the electoral register or were never registered in the first place.
You have to be registered in order to be able to vote. That said, there have been cases of electoral fraud from all parts of the political spectrum, such as the Tower Hamlets fraud, and the Bradford postal votes fraud. I don't see how you can accuse Brexit or Trump voters of electoral fraud with no evidence; the possibility of electoral fraud exists equally as much among left-wing and Remain voters, but, again, evidence is required.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Gullscorer wrote: 02 Feb 2017, 21:19 You have to be registered in order to be able to vote. That said, there have been cases of electoral fraud from all parts of the political spectrum, such as the Tower Hamlets fraud, and the Bradford postal votes fraud. I don't see how you can accuse Brexit or Trump voters of electoral fraud with no evidence; the possibility of electoral fraud exists equally as much among left-wing and Remain voters, but, again, evidence is required.
You have misunderstood my post completely. The post is in reply about why opinion polls are now so inaccurate. By disenfranchised voters I meant voters who have become alienated from the political process. My argument is that the polling companies ignore this type of voter when drawing up their samples. So these alienated voters do not get asked their opinion and then the opinion polls do not reflect the strength of support for brexit or trump. The post has nothing to do with electoral fraud, when I said they weren't on the electoral register what I meant was they had only recently joined the register because of the referendum, but had not felt inclined to engage in the political process before.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

The reasons stated above are partly down to inaccuracy in opinions polls, but I think the main reasons are down to, not a big enough error margin factored in, for regional differences, Stoke v Richmond, Boston V Cambridge, you'd get vastly different result if you took the same poll in those two areas against the two I've listed, also with out wishing to sound stereotypical, take a poll on one side of any town or city, and you'll get a different result to the other, as you would in Factory against the office block next door in the same town, and there would be difference between young people and those middle aged or over in the same area, all of this needs factoring in properly, and it hasn't been in the past.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

Before replying to this, I thought I should first check what the official definition of a hate crime is :)

And the Crown Prosecution Service tell me:

A Hate Incident is any incident which the victim, or anyone else, thinks is based on someones prejudice towards them because of their race, religion, sexual orientation, disability or because they are transgender.

If you, or anyone you know, has been called names, been bullied or had anything happen to them that you think may be because of one of these factors, then you should report this as a hate incident

http://www.cps.gov.uk/northeast/victims ... ate_crime/

Mr.Bashir, isn't gay, transgendered, isn't disabled, has no religion, and is the same race as those people he's complaining about. I can't see how the police can slot this into a hate crime category.

Brietbart tell us that Mr.Bashir said that local Muslims began to terrorise his family. Are the Bashir's now lying low in the Outer Hebrides hoping these terrorizers don't discover where they are ? Evidently not. Bashir and family live just over a mile up the road from their old house.He takes his kids to and from the same school, and no one bothers him in the slightest. Yet now, in 2017, he's going to the local newspaper trying to stir things up again, and presumably has no problem with the newspaper twice splashing his address for everyone to see within their report. Unusual if you've been terrorised or the victim of hate, wouldn't you say ?

Fasial Bashir, of Mayville Road, Ilford decided to stop practicing Islam in the summer of 2014 .
The mobile mechanic moved from Connaught Mews to Mayville Road with his wife, 11-year-old daughter, and eight-year-old son in June 2015.

Bashir stopped attending the local mosque, but not only that, he became an atheist. 'These people knew I had become an atheist' Brietbart report Mr.Bashir as saying. I wonder how they could have known you were an Atheist, Mr. Bashir ?....could it have possibly been because you told them ? But just what is Bashir's complaint ? “I was called an apostate, a non-believer', haha, in other words an Atheist, the very thing that YOU said you are !!

Your old pals try to save you from eternal damnation by giving you some useful reminders, 'I was told I had betrayed my God and my faith' and being the ungrateful sod you are, you somehow try to twist their concern for your mortal soul into a hate crime....how low can you get Bashir ???

Bashir was the local nutter, the Police could recognise it and probably wish Pickfords had moved him more than a mile up the road.

Mr. Bashir was told by police that the hate campaign was a “nuisance” report Brietbart. The police never said there was a 'hate campaign'. That's solely your description Brietbart, as you attempt to spice up this rather weak article ;-)
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

The Conservatives' current majority in Parliament rests on the votes of under two hundred thousand people out of the 24 million or so votes cast, less than one per cent. That is the sum total of the votes in Conservative seats with a majority under 5,000. It's about fifty seats. While this may seem an argument for proportional representation, it has to be remembered that the percentage of the combined votes for the Conservatives, UKIP and the Unionist parties in Ulster was 50.5 per cent. A different voting system would have produced a more right-wing government. Labour hold more seats than the Conservatives with 5,000 or less majorities.

And yet the left already govern Britain. The Marxist-feminist-PC-liberal ideologues have spread out like a cancer from an indoctrinated academia and insidiously embedded themselves in all areas of our society. If you're not for them you're against them. Say the wrong thing and you could be denied a job, a career, a voice. Wake up Britain !

Which brings us to 'hate speech': no actual hate is required, no victims needed, no pro-activity, no corroboration, and no mitigating circumstances allowed. Only somebody's/anybody's perception and accusation, for you to have committed a crime. So don't quote the Bible! But all the hateful passages in the Koran/Quran? No problem.
http://www.conservativewoman.co.uk/rev- ... -in-court/
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Street parties are to be held in June to commemorate the murder of Jo Cox MP:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39042436
And, of course, the totalitarian left are trying to make political capital out of it by once again blaming the political right, Brexiters, and anyone who opposes their own warped world view. Brendan Cox said: 'The killing of Jo was a political thing designed to divide our country and split communities apart'. This is outrageous nonsense. Thomas Mair was a mentally ill loner, yet his mental condition was never raised at his trial. Jo Cox's death was a tragic event, but the way Mair's trial was handled stinks to high heaven:
http://www.ukipdaily.com/thomas-mair-affair-part-i/
http://www.ukipdaily.com/thomas-mair-affair-part-ii/