Politics

General chat about anything else goes here.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Was very nice to meet you too! :-D

Completely agree with your post as well! :clap:
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

I'm all for us getting some powers back from the EU Danny, don't get me wrong. I'm just not sure being completely 'out of the party' is the best thing for us.

Surely the likelihood of us agreeing another 'free market' agreement with them after we have left is very remote at best and small businesses surely thrive with our current agreement with Europe. Global companies would be fine, continuing to trade more with other countries or some might even relocate from England in order to be part of the EU market. To expand on this...our country would appear a weaker place to do business as we would no longer have the benefits of our EU market agreements. What is the incentive to come here to do business? Move across the channel and you can get better trade in Europe and still have the same relationships with other countries as you would in Britain. We need companies working here in order to get taxes off them. I'm sure we all agree that the richest should pay the most to escape our debt crisis so we inevitably need businesses here to get that money off!

So basically, I just think that if we leave the EU it must become incredibly difficult to then re-apply for free market status to get those benefits. But as I said before, I am not entrenched in this view and will inevitably be swayed by the campaigning closer to the referendum. (If conservatives win!)
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

is it just me or does anyone else believe all these goverment cuts are going to cost us a $h!tload of money and trouble further down the line.

on question time they have been talking about the horse meat scandal and a statistic being bandied about is that 700 food inspector posts have been cut that is partly why standards have slipped. so horse meat could probably be the tip of the iceberg and there may be a lot more to come out yet.

when cuts are made in any department whether in government, nhs, police, fire service, council or others, surely that is going to lead to poorer services and less safe standards therefore the cost of fixing or clearing up the problems caused by cuts are going to be horrendous later on.

there is a lot of money wasted by government and councils on rubbish schemes, jollies,indulgence, short sightedness and expenses. surely we can cut costs by being more efficient and less wasteful. a prominent business figure did some investigating a couple of years ago and stated there would be no need for job losses or cuts in public services and the nhs if the correct efficiency measures are taken. yet all we hear about is jobs being cut.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stevegull »

Chunky, are you seriously suggesting that this whole horse meat thing has happened because of goverment cuts? I'd wager a good amount that this has been going on at some level for years and even during the 'boom' years and we had a team of food inspectors they were getting away with it. This would have all come out at some point, regardless of whether we cut our food inspectors. The notion that there would be no horse meat scandal if we didn't make cuts is frankly, in my opinion, proposterous.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Politicians can be summed up thus : liars and cheats.

The following words I ask to read for these are the words of instruction :

Be moved be need and never by greed for greed is the seed of destruction.
Liars and cheats will deceive and accuse, for these are their tools of obstruction.
Be selective and observant of friends you chose,
For friends are the foundation of construction.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Stevegull : this horse meat thing has probably been going on for donkeys years !
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stevegull »

Trojan 67 wrote:Stevegull : this horse meat thing has probably been going on for donkeys years !
Trojan is in form tonight!! Must have got lucky on valentines day!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

stevegull wrote: Trojan is in form tonight!!

Aye, Trojan : A Man Called Arse. :Oops:
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

stevegull wrote:Chunky, are you seriously suggesting that this whole horse meat thing has happened because of goverment cuts? I'd wager a good amount that this has been going on at some level for years and even during the 'boom' years and we had a team of food inspectors they were getting away with it. This would have all come out at some point, regardless of whether we cut our food inspectors. The notion that there would be no horse meat scandal if we didn't make cuts is frankly, in my opinion, proposterous.
neigh, neigh, neigh i was not suggesting that horse meat in the food supply was caused by the cuts to food inspectors. i was merely quoting a statistic that was stated on the programme. the greedy manufacturers are soley to blame.

indeed, it was also suggested the government had information about horse meat in burgers etc 10 years ago. the current scandal was definitely known about in november and has just come out.

it was then mentioned the cuts to 700 food inspector posts has not helped. then the conversation was about how damaging cuts are in general.

surely as i said all these cuts to our services are not helping and will cause more harm and cost later on. i have seen it myself in my job. standards will slip, there will be cutting corners, peoples welfare will suffer, damage will be done, there will be more crime and overall costs will later be worse therefore causing even more debt.

i appreciate money has to be saved somewhere and some made up job posts should definitely go. but efficiency and better thought out investment is the key.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

This thread has been quiet recently, but I'm going to start up another topic in British politics, which is very important. What's everyone's opinion on our NHS and do you think any of the policies should be changed?
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

our nhs was one of the most fantastic revolutionary ideas ever. it was designed to help everyone no matter what background class or social status.

however it has become a money haemorraging juggernaut that has been abused and is totally out of control.

too many managers,pen pushers, suits etc. not enough frontline staff.

greater efficiency and planning is the key where the nhs is concerned, but oh no like everything else it is easier and simpler to make cuts to services and jobs.

i get really annoyed when i visit people in hospital and there isnt a nurse anywhere to be seen on a ward.simply because there isnt enough of them. there are loads of health care assistants however doing much of the donkey work and getting sod all recognition for it.

somebody i know who worked at torbay hospital told me once about how things are costed up and also purchasing policies and methods, i didnt quite understand it all but that was mainly because it sounded like sheer madness and the way things were only an utter lunatic could make sense of.

dont even get me started on cleanliness and standards in hospitals. my father in law died after an operation to remove cancer, through contracting mrsa . the operation was supposed to be the dangerous part and he got through that just fine. he was ok for a few days then went downhill. then he was induced into a coma.nobody really told us anything about wahat was going on with him. we were eventually told he had an infection. it was only after he died 3 weeks later we were informed it was mrsa that started his decline. apparently he didnt have it by the time he died, they had cured it. therefore it didnt go on his death certificate and he didnt become a statistic.

the ward he had been on was filthy. he was supposed to be nil by mouth before and after the op and staff were leaving the food cabinet by his bed. one time all the dirty used plates were left right by him also.

he was supposed to be under intensive care after the op, all they did was put his bed nearest the nurses station. not that there was hardly ever anyone there. but also the nurses station was near the ward doors, so people were traipsing through and coming and going.

dont even get me started on the amount of doctors/consultants etc that i saw not wash there hands or wear gloves when travelling between wards or visiting and touching various patients. when i raised this observation to a nurse she said well you wouldnt tell god to wash his hands would you.

derriford hospital by the way.

so many people,including experts have said we need to go back to the days of old fashioned matrons running wards not managers or penpushers then things will improve. too many jobs for the boys though isnt it.

dont even get me started on the food standards. if the patients have better, warm, more nutritious food then they are likely to get better quicker therefore cutting costs and freeing up beds. trouble is penny pinching in the first place the food is either crap non-nutritious or cold.

there are people i have seen in hospital that have food put in front of them and dont eat it because they are unable to feed themselves for one reason or another but there is nobody on hand to help them. food gets cold and thrown away. patient doesnt eat properly,therefore doesnt get better. food wastage costs an absolute fortune.

i have to say though i have had people close to me have stays in paignton and brixham hospital and they come out with loads of praise. food standards apparently are superb. smaller hospitals are better run by the sound of it, which is probably understandable.

also yet again we go back to the fact of all the immigrants coming here to use the nhs before they have paid into our system because they dont have health care at home. is it right?

ladies who for no medical reason, only vanity, self-esteem issues and apparently mental health reasons have boob jobs on the nhs. is that right?

i could go on, but that will do. For now!

:scarf:
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stevegull »

The coalition may have it's detractors but I wholeheartedly applaud them for their increase of funding in the NHS. I think it's a fantastic thing to have and to be able to say we have free healthcare as a country it just terrific in my view. And with Labour voting against all the budget cuts so far you can only assume that they would have made cuts to the NHS as it is the only thing left that you could possibly save money on. In fact, I believe I am right in saying that in Wales - where Labour hold a majority and can make budget decisions - they have slashed the NHS budget. Terrible display.

In tough economic times I think the NHS is the ONE thing we need to try and protect.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Agreed, if people feel vulnerable about their income and security, the last thing they need is worry about health concerns and the NHS, despite obvious failings in random areas is still something we can be proud of and should be protected and invested in to provide peace of mind to people. Can i just add that i know bugger all about politics so my posts are just opinions really rather than views backed up with facts. Sorry but i'm a bit simple. :Oops:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stevegull »

Andy, I expect nothing more from your nationality!

Naa, I think more people are using this just to post their opinions. I just sometimes have the odd fact to throw out there as I try and catch the Prime Minister's Questions on Wednesday.

And you're right about the NHS. There are obviously some big failings at certain branches and that needs to be worked on for such an important institution but on the whole I think most of the doctors and nurses are good, honest people just trying to help people (and earn some money!)
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

[quote="stevegull"]Andy, I expect nothing more from your nationality!
Naa, I think more people are using this just to post their opinions. I just sometimes have the odd fact to throw out there as I try and catch the Prime Minister's Questions on Wednesday.

And you're right about the NHS. There are obviously some big failings at certain branches and that needs to be worked on for such an important institution but on the whole I think most of the doctors and nurses are good, honest people just trying to help people (and earn some money!)[/quote]

Just 'coz an Austrian started the World War, locked family mambers in cellars, made cringeworthy 90's action films and said 'i'll be back' and made sausages doesn't mean to say that WE'RE ALL SIMPLE young man! :no:

Just most of us are............................ :)
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.