Politics

General chat about anything else goes here.
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

Gullscorer wrote: 01 May 2017, 09:32 Ha ha.. So who do you suggest? Jeremy Corbyn? Tim Farron? Apart from Rees-Mogg, the only real alternative would be Nigel Farage, but he's in the wrong party to be PM.

Anyway, in addition to Rees-Mogg, here's someone else who's always worth listening to: http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/
Yeah I'm sure Rees-Mogg would be a popular leader of the Conservatives, he'd really destroy the image of the Tories as the party of the rich, and would really appeal to working class voters in post-industrial towns for instance. Or not.

As for Farage, how many times has he failed to win a parliamentary seat? 7 times?

Indeed Hitchens is/was worth listening to, probably one of the greatest orators of the last 30 years. Christopher I mean, not Peter.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Gullscorer wrote: 03 May 2017, 12:20 On Sophie Walker (W.E.P. parliamentary candidate for Shipley): http://mra-uk.co.uk/?p=1691
Have you heard of the oxygen of publicity. Until I clicked on your link I had never heard of the women's equality party. But thanks to you they are now ever so slightly more well known than they were before.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Publicity can be good or bad. On that basis, I suspect that anybody who follows that link (and this one: http://www.conservativewoman.co.uk/beli ... t-harpies/), if they have any brain cells at all, will be voting for Philip Davies, who is extremely popular in Shipley, and Sophie Walker will lose her deposit..
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

UKIP should have focussed on Brexit:
'As usual ignorance about Islam lies at the heart of UKIP's disaster. Banks may be right that it is wrong to focus on the wearing of the hijab or halal meat but is WRONG if he is saying UKIP don't need to focus on Muslim immigration (read "2030: Your Children's Future in Islamic Britain" by David Vincent, Amazon and Kindle). Britain is still taking in huge numbers of Muslim migrants from Libya (in 2015 more than 17,000 compared to France's 2,000 according to the IOM). Italy is also bracing for the worst. Up to a million people, mainly from Bangladesh, Egypt, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Sudan and Syria are now in Libya waiting to cross the Mediterranean Sea, (according to the IOM). The director of the United Nations office in Geneva, Michael Møller, has warned that Europe must prepare for the arrival of millions more migrants from Africa, Asia and the Middle East. In an interview with The Times, Møller, a Dane, said: "What we have been seeing is one of the biggest human migrations in history. And it's just going to accelerate. Young people all have cellphones and they can see what's happening in other parts of the world, and that acts as a magnet." At such at time the insane EU have announced that ALL temporary border restrictions must end within the next 6 months. The people of Europe are being lied to on a monumental scale by the globalist fanatics who were elected to represent their views. Junkers/Merkel/Soros are acting on mass Muslim immigration the way Stalin/Trotsky/Beria acted during the great purges, for them ideology and "the project" is all.'
David Kane. http://www.breitbart.com/london/2017/05 ... ashed-car/
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

UKIP's wipeout in the local elections, and they will struggle to achieve the 4 million votes in this general election they gained in the last, are more simple than that. Their problem three fold now.

One; The loss of Nigel Farage, a marmite politian no doubt, but someone who connected with people of all ages and social backgrounds, and for every person who hates him, there are many more who like and respect the man, he was UKIP.

Two; A single issue party in the main, once the referendum on leaving the EU was won, UKIP should have changed it's name and rebranded itself, just as Aaron Banks wanted, Labour are so disconnected from their own core supporters, there was a massive gap in the political market for a renamed UKIP to move into, they've failed to recognize this, to late.

Three; The Tory party, very clever these, the only mainstream political party to realize what 17.4 million people voted for in the EU referendum and why, not only have they united very quickly behind May, but they've rebranded themselves into some sort of " UKIP lite " The Tories will certainly soak up many of the UKIP 4 million voters.

As said, UKIP much change their name, and find a new cause to fight, all they'll die.
Formerly known as forevertufc
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

forevertufc wrote: 05 May 2017, 19:34 UKIP's wipeout in the local elections, and they will struggle to achieve the 4 million votes in this general election they gained in the last, are more simple than that. Their problem three fold now.

One; The loss of Nigel Farage, a marmite politian no doubt, but someone who connected with people of all ages and social backgrounds, and for every person who hates him, there are many more who like and respect the man, he was UKIP.

Two; A single issue party in the main, once the referendum on leaving the EU was won, UKIP should have changed it's name and rebranded itself, just as Aaron Banks wanted, Labour are so disconnected from their own core supporters, there was a massive gap in the political market for a renamed UKIP to move into, they've failed to recognize this, to late.

Three; The Tory party, very clever these, the only mainstream political party to realize what 17.4 million people voted for in the EU referendum and why, not only have they united very quickly behind May, but they've rebranded themselves into some sort of " UKIP lite " The Tories will certainly soak up many of the UKIP 4 million voters.

As said, UKIP much change their name, and find a new cause to fight, all they'll die.

I agree with you for but we need good opposition or things will get tough for the working class.
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

forevertufc wrote: 05 May 2017, 19:34 As said, UKIP much change their name, and find a new cause to fight, all they'll die.
UKIP have always been a single issue party, without the EU to campaign against they have nothing. Changing their name will solve nothing, it's over for them.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

More shameless BBC bias. To the BBC lefties, Marine Le Pen is 'far right' because she is Front National, despite having taken the party in a more moderate direction over the past ten years. They dare not describe Farage or Trump as such, since they are more well-known here, but they have broadcast biased and critical programmes, citing 'editorial independence'. This one about Breitbart is in a similar vein: http://www.breitbart.com/london/2017/05 ... tells-bbc/
At least one good reason to continue supporting UKIP is that they alone among the political parties recognise that the BBC, with so many left-wing feminist pro-EU PC 'social justice warriors' embedded in its ranks, is no longer fit for purpose.
Related links:
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2017/04 ... tion-plan/
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2017/05 ... mo-sweden/
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Orange Gull wrote: 05 May 2017, 23:07 UKIP have always been a single issue party, without the EU to campaign against they have nothing. Changing their name will solve nothing, it's over for them.
No where and at no point have I said, all UKIP need to do is change their name, they are in trouble as a political party. The name United Kingdom Independence party is no longer relevant, that is their starting point if they're to survive, however, with Labour in such a mess right now, and UKIP did attract working class voters, there is room for a new working class party fighting on a broad range of issues, that was the point, if Aaron Banks had got his way, UKIP would already being doing this.
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

UKIP have been trying to position themselves as party for the traditional Labour working class vote since Nutall became leader. When they lost in Stoke, they proved this strategy was not going to work. The complete collapse in the local elections only furthered this point.

I don't think any party headed by Aaron Banks, a multi-millionaire diamond mine owner, is really going to connect with the concerns that people have in towns like Stoke, Hartlepool or Clacton where he'll lose badly.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Orange Gull wrote: 06 May 2017, 11:42
I don't think any party headed by Aaron Banks, a multi-millionaire diamond mine owner, is really going to connect with the concerns that people have in towns like Stoke, Hartlepool or Clacton where he'll lose badly.
To be honest I'm not sure what Aaron Banks being a multi-millionaire has got do with anything. Nigel Farage a former commodities broker on the London stock exchange, managed to take a protest party to over 4 million votes ( including the working men of Stoke/Clacton/Hartlepool ) he managed to influence Tory party policy on, an in-out EU referendum, of which many of those same working class men and women voted in agreement of the ex-city bankers opinion that we should leave the EU lock stock and two smoking barrels.

Show me a politian from the top table of the (left/centre/right) who either didn't come from a privileged background (Tony Benn springs to mind here, 2nd Viscount Stansgate ) or not a current millionaire, or a family that now lives a privileged lifestyle, from the Tory's to LibDems and Labour they all are and do.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I find it strange that so many of those who support such things as GLTB rights, feminism, and so on, also support minority rights such as those of Islam, Sharia law, etc.. Here are yet more examples of Islam in action:
http://www.breitbart.com/national-secur ... t-for-you/
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/800 ... reme-court
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Orange Gull wrote: 06 May 2017, 11:42 UKIP have been trying to position themselves as party for the traditional Labour working class vote since Nutall became leader. When they lost in Stoke, they proved this strategy was not going to work. The complete collapse in the local elections only furthered this point.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/663701 ... membership
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Gullscorer wrote: 06 May 2017, 16:27 I find it strange that so many of those who support such things as GLTB rights, feminism, and so on, also support minority rights such as those of Islam, Sharia law, etc.. Here are yet more examples of Islam in action:
http://www.breitbart.com/national-secur ... t-for-you/
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/800 ... reme-court
I actually agree with you on this point. You cannot fight intolerance with tolerance. The secular liberal left must learn to be consistent and not make allowances based on ethnicity or religious belief.