Modern Telly

General chat about anything else goes here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Modern Telly

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Decided today to cancel my entire SKY subscription. Sure the footy is great and probably the only thing worth watching but i never have the time nowadays to watch enough games to justify the expense. Apart from that there is absolutely piss all on tv nowadays worth watching. On the BBC and ITV there is piss all apart from the usual 'gritty council estate dramas' or 'period costume dramas which involve couture attire, shagging 24/7 and big houses', X Factor and Strictly,how many years?! Let it go now, it's more boring than it was when it first started. Cop dramas that are all the same, celebrity quiz shows like The Cube where they always get to £10,000 with 3 lives remaining and take the cash. Million Pound Drop where people play alongside online. Send the men round with white coats for those guys, AND other banal celebrity cess. It's just inanity overload and if it weren't for Professor Brian Cox or The Vikings on BBC or BBC4 then we may as well not have a telly at all. Oh and just to prove a point even though my credability as a Yorkshire hard nut is going to be severely compromised with what i'm about to impart. Heartbeat, what a show. Made in Goathland, North Yorkshire Moors and also filmed in Whitby occasionally. Places i have spent many a happy time in and indeed near to where i used to live and work. That was a true TV show of endearing quality, no swearing, no shagging anything that moved 5 times in a programme, no worries. A place and a time where people hark back to, hey i'm only mid 30's so i'm a late 80's early 90's child in terms of nostalgia but i can identify with the utopia of the 60's portrayed in that show. What did the TV company do? Axe it after 20 or so years yet still show Wild at Heart with Stephen Tompkinson. I don't know ANYBODY i have ever met that has watched this cack! Bring back Heartbeat i say!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Telly is bollocks, everything (including live sports which aren't actually broadcast on Sky) are available over the interweb. I **** hate TV, if I'm honest, it's just so un-worthwhile. Odd things are ok, House, 24, Lost all epic American classics instantly. Top Gear, Hustle and Spooks all stand out as recent British successes, but only one of these 6 shows is still on and even then it's only rarely.
Aside from sports, I didn't watch a single minute of TV last week, and I didn't miss it for one second. Same when I was in China, I watched one old episode of Sherlock and the Sleepless in Seattle (possibly the worst movie ever made) and that was it (again, aside from sports, they showed some volleyball and I also watched the England Euro 2012 games).

TV sucks donkey dick, there are a million better things to be doing, things which are active rather than passive.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Heartbeat was crap when it started and only got worse.

There is some good TV being made: Sherlock is excellent (just caught up with on Netflix), and a lot of the HBO/Showtime shows are very good as well - Game of Thrones, Homeland, Dexter.

Stuff on the US networks can be hit and miss (The chap who thought up Glee should be punched, shot, kicked and then shot again) but a lot of the TV that I do see on the networks is harmless filler stuff. Perfect for when I get home from work feeling tired and just want to zone out.

Incidentally, I saw the first episode of Elementary last night (another Holmes thing, with Jonny Lee Miller) was pleasantly surprised. It was quite good!

The problem with TV anywhere is that they want to make TV that gets them revenue without costing very much. Hence all the endless 'reality' shows - people go on for free, mostly, and then their mates will call in to vote for them. Easy! It's all crap, though.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Sherlock was good i agree.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Turned on the telly the other day, five different channels showing re-runs of traffic cops all at the same time..argh the last straw, expensive £95 a month Virgin media package dropped, signed up to talk talk, any time calls, broadband and youview TV £29 a month, thats better feeling calm again..but for how long?
Formerly known as forevertufc
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Gonna move this to the Popside as it's better off in there.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

I'm Surprised you wanted to move this to the Pop side. A padded cell would have been more appropriate. TV is cack. Most of the programmes are cack. what can I look at that is worthwhile.
Homeland.
The Knock. I missed them 1st time round
The news but it gets depressing
The league show
Transatlantic sessions
You've been duped. sorry i mean framed. but they are all repeats so what is left. oh
Forgot Live Scottish footy and i follow Welsh footy,. Not as good as Plainmoor but hey it's still real footy.Not Prem rubbish
Never signed up for Sky. Got loads of it outside and its wet all the time.
Never signed up for Virgin. But if I go down the St pauls i am informed there are loads of em waiting to serve my needs. (as if i would believe that)
Just plain ole Freeview, and there's more than enough trash on that.
Last edited by Glostergull on 30 Sep 2012, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

And i get called a miserable git GG! :lol:
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

austrianandygull wrote:And i get called a miserable git GG! :lol:
Hey my man Austrian. No way have you got the monopoly of being the Grumpy old Git on here. :lol:
I am only rose tinted when watching the Gulls.

TV is such a turn off nowadays. More fun on youtube

ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

forevertufc wrote:Turned on the telly the other day, five different channels showing re-runs of traffic cops all at the same time..argh the last straw, expensive £95 a month Virgin media package dropped, signed up to talk talk, any time calls, broadband and youview TV £29 a month, thats better feeling calm again..but for how long?
Tell me about this YouView, F'rev. I believe (if my Twitter recall is accurate) that it's an Alan Sugar invention, but don't know how it works.

Matt.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

Yeah I never erd of youview either. I also erd that BT got their own version. I recken thats called Birdview

EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

Modern telly is.........SHITE!

That is all.
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

telly down the net if I understand it right, the set top box connects via ethernet cable to your router and Bob could well be your uncle.
Formerly known as forevertufc
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

As a man working in Electrical items, I shall field this one. YouView is an invention mainly used by Humax which allows you to access iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD and Demand 5 through a Freeview HD box. You obviously need an internet connection and the boxes have WiFi built in. You can buy them for around £250 upwards.

It is a good system but many companies are doing similar things. Samsung, for example, have their new range of Smart TVs where you can access iPlayer and ITV Player, this doesn't sound as good but you can also get an App for Netflix and LoveFilm, subscription based services for films and TV series. The Samsung TVs are quite expensive, around £400 for a basic 32 inch, but are vastly superior in use. Their system is somewhat like a Smartphone, with access to games, an internet browser and a place to store pictures and videos. They do also have a cheaper option of a Blu-Ray player which gives you this system and allows for Blu-Rays and DVDs to be played. Something that YouView could only dream of. On the upside for YouView, you can record onto HDD, which the Samsungs can't.

There are pros and cons to both, but personally I'd go with the Samsung option.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

EmetEdadsBeard wrote:Modern telly is.........sh*t!

That is all.
It will be where you are, Beardy, TVs run on electricity, which you t'up north don't have yet.

Matt.