The Apple And Parrot Pub In Town

General chat about anything else goes here.
sadlad
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Tommy Tynan

The Apple And Parrot Pub In Town

Post by sadlad »

Do any of you people go to this place in Torquay and see live bands? Reason Im asking this... as a holiday maker last week I thought I'd go and see Friday nights band. Arrived there about 9.15pm assuming they would be on about 9.30pm ish. The band had clearly done their sound checks and instruments set up etc. Quite a few in there, mainly locals. By about 10.15pm a few getting restless due to the obvious delay. At 10.30pm the band broke into their first number then the pub's manager trots over, disturbing thier excellent opening number and the band then continue and announce that the pub manager said that this can only be their 'sound check' and refused to let them start till 11pm.

As you can imagine this really riled many of the music-loving regulars who had already spent a lot of cash behind the bar. My plans were to have 4 or 5 beers over the course of the evening. In a show of disgust maybe 30 or so locals supped up and left in disgust. By the time 11pm came there was hardly anyone in there. I saw the first couple of numbers and headed for my hotel... not wishing to booze away till 1pm or later with a journey back home the next day. Realise as a holidaymaker my planned £15 or so would be a drop in the ocean but those regular music loving locals would have put a lot more behind the bar than me. When challenged by one of them this manager mumbled something about about the 'regulars' would be in around 11pm. I found this attitude shocking, tbh. He was obviously not bothered that a lot of people were drinking away from probably 8.30pm thinking that the band 'would be on in a bit'. Never once was there any announcements to the effect of a later start.

Realise that as manager he can do what he wants and start bands when he wants but for me it was a massive PR own goal. Does anyone know if 11 pm is the usual Friday night band start or has experienced anything like this before? Thanks for your time.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Funny, I think I heard that about a small football team in Walsal. They were going to start playing at 3pm when the Chairman said they were not supposed to play untill 7pm so delayed Ko as the fans were meant to arrive later. The few there Left, I think it was Bescot. lol Only Joking. on second thought though. :lol:
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Walsall... Walsall... I recognise that name. Aren't they one of our feeder clubs?
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

walsall. Warsall warsaw or walsar, depends how you read or listen to it on Sky. yeah. Wonder where the two teams will be come the end of the season. No doubt their players will have a new ambition. To play for us when we are Championship
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
sadlad
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Tommy Tynan

Post by sadlad »

Glostergull wrote:walsall. Warsall warsaw or walsar, depends how you read or listen to it on Sky. yeah. Wonder where the two teams will be come the end of the season. No doubt their players will have a new ambition. To play for us when we are Championship

Love to see BOTH teams in the Championship.. or L1 at least!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Move to rant thread?

Matt.

Sorry Saddo, not been to this (presumably) fine establishment, so can't help.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

ferrarilover wrote:
not been to this (presumably) fine establishment, so can't help.

It's on the Strand (Harbourside to you youngsters).

You need to get out more Matt. Join me on the Saturday bus down from Plainmoor on matchdays and we'll spend a Strand evening on the mean street to 4.00am Sunday morning.

(D) (D) (D) (D) (D) (D) (D) (D) (D) (D) (D) (D) (D) (D) (D) :nod:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"