Whinge, Moan, Rant And Anything Else Put It Here ...

General chat about anything else goes here.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

It is not and should not be illegal to be unfriendly or derogatory. There are many words which could not be used in anything but an unfriendly manner. That does not mean they should be banned. Words are just words. Context is everything. And it's the severity and duration of any abuse which really matters. It is ridiculous, for example, when discussing a word (in this case 'n*****') in a purely intellectual context, not to be able to quote the whole word.

It's not a word most people would normally use, simply out of respect for others and because most of us most of the time don't intend to be unfriendly or derogatory or to have any intention of hurting others' feelings. Most people should be able to either shrug off or respond to rare occurrences. But when the words are used as part of a greater abusive situation, then most of us would certainly step in and take action.

But it should be the situation and the abuse, not the words, which should be dealt with, and not necessarily by means of legislation and the full weight of the law. Indeed there should be no criminal laws against hurting people's feelings, and certainly no laws against the expression of words and ideas. It is, in my view, quite wrong for society to send a man to prison for denying the reality of the Holocaust. Much better to argue with him and to convince him with the weight of evidence or to expose him for the nutcase he is.

We should take care to avoid any step along that dangerous downhill road towards censorship and banning and autocracy and oppression.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

"It's not a word most people would normally use, simply out of respect for others" Out of respect? If you have that word in your vocabulary and would even consider using it then you are racist. And by racist I mean dumb **** who would discriminate against someone because their ancestors happened to live on the continent we now know as Africa.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Black guy goes for two job interviews. He's the only candidate. He's ideally qualified and has good experience and references.

First interviewed writes back to him a week later saying:

"Dear Sir,

We shan't be hiring you, despite your suitability for the post, because you are afro-Caribbean.

Best,

Peter"

The second bloke writes back:

"Word up my ****,

You start on Monday, you're just the guy we've been looking for.

Best,

Mbeze"

Who has been discriminated against?

Context is everything. Mere use of a word or phrase is not, in itself, discriminatory, racist, sexist or anything else. It's amazing just how many of the very loud people making an awful lot of noise about the Scudamore thing are offended on behalf of someone else. Not a single person is actually offended personally. No one has said, "I was personally offended by Mr Scudamore, because he said to me 'I dislike you and would hurt you physically and wish you a life time of bad luck merely and exclusively because of your gender'". They're all saying that his comments are hurtful to women in general and that, surely, is precisely the type of generalisation which the Pankhurst brigade have been fighting against for 100 years? I'm a person, not a gender, that sort of thing?

It always strikes me that a lot of these groups want to have their cake and eat it. There's an excellent spot in the Simpsons where Homer and Marge somehow find themselves among a large group of angry feminists (I know, Gullscorer mode engaged). Marge is required, for some reason, to attempt something dangerous. Homer says he will stay and let Marge be a strong, independent woman and the feminists turn on him, because he's failing to do his duty as a man and look after his wife. Homer then decides he'll go with her, to look after her and the feminists become angrier still, as they accuse him of suggesting that Marge is a weak and feeble woman, incapable of doing it by herself.
You can't win with some, because they're never satisfied.

Either black people are reclaiming racially charged language, such as ****, and making it harmless by accepting it as their own (see their endless use of it and other terms while in their own company) or they're seeking to make it totally off limits to anyone and everyone. Can't have it both ways. I read a thing a little while back about a group of black American men (I think they were all men, it's irrelevant anyway) who were upset about the content of the film 12 Years a Slave (which is a fabulous movie, utterly masterful). They wanted more and more acts of remembrance, they wanted the film to be a catalyst for change in America, they wanted a national anti-slavery holiday (like Thanksgiving or President's Day). Yet, they also wanted the film banned, because they said it "celebrated" the slave trade and that a bunch of white guys in Hollywood were making a ton of money off the back of the suffering of their ancestors.
Sorry fellas, but all we can do is apologise. It doesn't happen today (at least, not legally), we acknowledge that what happened was wrong, but until we've invented time-travel, we won't be able to go back and put right the errors of the past. All the statues and public holidays in the world won't make right what happened, but it was in a different time, a different era, when that was thought of as right. I've no doubt that, by the time I'm an old man, the world will be wholly different again. The idea that this very day, there are people voting in European and local elections for a party because the leader says he doesn't much trust foreigners will be as shocking as today we find those pictures of Rosa Parks being hauled off a bus and into a police cell.

Times move on, and actual discrimination, in the UK at least, is all but dead (aside from in the minds of some exceptionally stupid individuals, but they'll exist no matter what we do). Let's not ruin that by becoming all precious over words which, if we're honest, are so commonly used now that heir offensive meaning is all but completely diminished.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Well said Matt. And I'm absolutely fed up with self-righteous zealots who use mob rule to close down and ban the expression of free speech which they find offensive because it contradicts their own particular group-think and world view. http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/201 ... s-refuses/
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

How many times do I have to hear people talk about free speech before they all effing realise that here, in the United Kingdom Of Great Britain and Northern Ireland there is no such thing as freedom of speech.
Shut up about it. We, subjects of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the II have no formal rights to 'free speech'.

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

PhilGull wrote:How many times do I have to hear people talk about free speech before they all effing realise that here, in the United Kingdom Of Great Britain and Northern Ireland there is no such thing as freedom of speech.
Shut up about it. We, subjects of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the II have no formal rights to 'free speech'.
That doesn't seem to stop some people.. ;-) And there are such things as Human Rights.. :)
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Gullscorer wrote: That doesn't seem to stop some people.. ;-) And there are such things as Human Rights.. :)
If your mate Farage gets in, we can kiss goodbye to those.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I do chuckle at the notion that our rights are under threat from UKIP. If anyone thinks there's less threat to them from the Tories or the Labour loonies then think again.

The political arena of the last few hundred years has done everything possible to strip the common people of their "human rights", UKIP are absolutely not entrenched in that modus operandi.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
DerbyshireGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Billy Bodin

Post by DerbyshireGull »

Funfairs

£2.50 for hook a feckin duck!! :@

I asked if my little one could have a go for 50p but not get a shitty plastic toy dangerous to human health after and the bloke refused!!

All she wanted was to hook one, not get a prize. Bloody hell!

It was like the family fun day off Phoenix Nights this funfair. Shocking stuff.

They also had a massive inflatable bouncy slide and they charged £2.50 for 5 slides! My little one had a go but the bloke was actually physically counting and he approached me after the 5th slide to say time was up and there was nobody else on it. I wonder why?!!!

I put 20p in one of those grabber machines and won a **** minion from Despicable Me! Just what my little one wanted and I waltzed out of there singing so needless to say, I had the last laugh.

They don't know what to charge nowadays.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

◾“I feel that ‘man-hating’ is an honourable and viable political act, that the oppressed have a right to class-hatred against the class that is oppressing them.” – Robin Morgan, Ms. Magazine Editor

◾“To call a man an animal is to flatter him; he’s a machine, a walking dildo.” -– Valerie Solanas

◾“I want to see a man beaten to a bloody pulp with a high-heel shoved in his mouth, like an apple in the mouth of a pig.” — Andrea Dworkin

◾“Rape is nothing more or less than a conscious process of intimidation by which all men keep all women in a state of fear” — Susan Brownmiller

◾“The more famous and powerful I get the more power I have to hurt men.” — Sharon Stone

◾“In a patriarchal society, all heterosexual intercourse is rape because women, as a group, are not strong enough to give meaningful consent.” — Catherine MacKinnon

◾“The proportion of men must be reduced to and maintained at approximately 10% of the human race.” — Sally Miller Gearhart

◾“Men who are unjustly accused of rape can sometimes gain from the experience.” – Catherine Comins

◾“All men are rapists and that’s all they are” — Marilyn French

◾“Probably the only place where a man can feel really secure is in a maximum security prison, except for the imminent threat of release.” — Germaine Greer.

:@
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Gullscorer wrote:◾“I feel that ‘man-hating’ is an honourable and viable political act, that the oppressed have a right to class-hatred against the class that is oppressing them.” – Robin Morgan, Ms. Magazine Editor

◾“To call a man an animal is to flatter him; he’s a machine, a walking dildo.” -– Valerie Solanas

◾“I want to see a man beaten to a bloody pulp with a high-heel shoved in his mouth, like an apple in the mouth of a pig.” — Andrea Dworkin

◾“Rape is nothing more or less than a conscious process of intimidation by which all men keep all women in a state of fear” — Susan Brownmiller

◾“The more famous and powerful I get the more power I have to hurt men.” — Sharon Stone

◾“In a patriarchal society, all heterosexual intercourse is rape because women, as a group, are not strong enough to give meaningful consent.” — Catherine MacKinnon

◾“The proportion of men must be reduced to and maintained at approximately 10% of the human race.” — Sally Miller Gearhart

◾“Men who are unjustly accused of rape can sometimes gain from the experience.” – Catherine Comins

◾“All men are rapists and that’s all they are” — Marilyn French

◾“Probably the only place where a man can feel really secure is in a maximum security prison, except for the imminent threat of release.” — Germaine Greer.

:@
And you could find just as many similar quotes from men about women.
Seriously dude, you need to get over this **** obsession already.

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

PhilGull wrote: And you could find just as many similar quotes from men about women.
Seriously dude, you need to get over this f**king obsession already.
So please quote them.. The difference is that these women are in positions of influence and power in organisations which have a significant detrimental effect on the law, education, politics and society and, because men are generally protective of women, nobody seems to give a damn..
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Eon customer?

E.on is scrapping a 25% saving for some of its poorest customers at the end of June. Tens of thousands of elderly people face a bill shock after the supplier them gave just six weeks' notice.

At the same time they're putting up prices, so those pensioners are about to see a 40% increase in their bills.

The announcement came just one day before the energy regulator fined E.on a record £12m for mis-selling. Still, when you're raking in £2m in profits a day, who gives a stuff about Ofgem or customers.

Nice people to do business with..
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

EON must be run by women, eh? ;-)

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

PhilGull wrote:EON must be run by women, eh? ;-)
Presumably you mean feminists not women. Take care not to confuse the two, they're not the same thing at all. I think I already explained this to you on the 'What are You Listening to?' thread.. :-D

Want to know what's wrong with feminism? This lady elucidates it very well: http://thoughtcatalog.com/janet-bloomfi ... heres-why/