The Bookies Odds Thread

General chat about anything else goes here.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

yellowmonkey wrote:Just got 25/1 on Torquay in the top 3 end of season.
Where did you get that from? That's pretty decent; usually it's 1/4 odds 1-2-3 for divisions outside the Premiership, so that would suggest Torquay are 100-1 to win the division.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

Sorry just clarify it 25/1 to win and as you said 1/4 odds for 2 and 3
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

yeah, that's not as good. :) and because you would have had to do an each way bet, you'll actually be getting far lower price for your money for 2nd or 3rd)

so let's say you had £10 e/w, winning the league would get you £332.50 (£260 for win and £72.50 for place) for overall odds of about 15.5/1. Just finishing 2nd or 3rd, you'd get the £72.50, which represents odds of a shade over 5/2 for your £20 bet.

And that's why bookies love each way bets (and also why they're reluctant to allow 'place only' bets.)

If I was going to do a bet on Torquay given that price, I'd have all my £20 at 25s to win. Then, if things go ok during the first part of the season, I'd look to lay it off later on, preferably at a really short price (I'd lay on betfair at 3s at christmas, for example). There's a hole in that strategy; if we start slowly and then roar back to finish 3rd late on, you lose for sure, but I always liked to find value in my bets.

NOTE: all of this is a moot point really given that I live in the US and the puritan asshats don't allow sports gambling :/
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

happytorq wrote: NOTE: all of this is a moot point really given that I live in the US and the puritan asshats don't allow sports gambling :/
Yet you can walk into a shop and buy a gun easily enough.

Crazy bloody country!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Scott Brehaut wrote: Yet you can walk into a shop and buy a gun easily enough.

Crazy bloody country!!

Not for much longer if Obama has his way ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Odds are shortening (close to evens) on Paul Nuttall to win the Stoke Central by-election for UKIP, but still good odds (around 11-1) on UKIP to win Copeland, where Labour had a small majority over the Conservatives. Probably worth an early bet on UKIP to win both. Should be fun..
KeithMalone
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by KeithMalone »

Gullscorer wrote: 26 Jan 2017, 03:10 Odds are shortening (close to evens) on Paul Nuttall to win the Stoke Central by-election for UKIP, but still good odds (around 11-1) on UKIP to win Copeland, where Labour had a small majority over the Conservatives. Probably worth an early bet on UKIP to win both. Should be fun..
:lol: