Hello from Carlisle

General chat about anything else goes here.
wgcd
Trialist
Trialist

Hello from Carlisle

Post by wgcd »

I like these local derby matches. We are accustomed to a bit of travelling because we play in the Third Division South. :)

You are welcome to make yourselves known here :-
http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tn ... d=18&sty=2

I need to give you one bit of knowledge about our message board.
The traditional greeting to a newcomer is
something not to be said on a family forum ;-)
Indeed if nobody gives you that greeting it is considered to be bad mannered. :)
NewtonGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by NewtonGull »

'As good as a bye to Round 4.'

i thought we were playing Carlisle in the next round not Arsenal. have i missed something?
arrogant p***s
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

LOL The morons seem to think this is a BIG game for us. Also sounds like they are bringing 300 to 400 with them. Surely we would have taken more up there with us. P!ss poor support if you ask me. Never mind, be interesting to see who we get in the 4th round, hopefully we'll get a proper team this time.
wgcd
Trialist
Trialist

Post by wgcd »

NewtonGull wrote:'As good as a bye to Round 4.'

i thought we were playing Carlisle in the next round not Arsenal. have i missed something?
arrogant pricks
You will find someone on any board that will post that kind of stuff. Similar sentiments are expressed here on this board.

Both sets of supporters will feel that it is an awkward match that will not generate a fortune in gate receipts but that it is winnable, worth 67.5 grand and gives the possibility of a glamorous, money-making next round draw. To me it is just as much of an FA Cup tie as Manchester United v Liverpool.

The two clubs have Ian Atkins in common, top bloke. :bow:
AndyC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by AndyC »

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Carlisle, since my overnighter there with a few lads about 6/7 years ago was one of the best Torquay trips I can remember. I also used to work with a guy called Mick Mitchell, who was an absolute encyclopaedia of all things CUFC and wrote a few books on the subject as well.

Sadly heard he died earlier this year - he'd have enjoyed some banter over this draw. I'll have a glass of red to remember a good friend on the day of the game.
Chow Mein
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Bruno Meirelles

Post by Chow Mein »

Listed below are Carlisle's league results AWAY to SOUTHERN teams:

Bristol Rovers 1 v 1 Carlisle
Exeter 2 v 1 Carlisle
Bournemouth 2 v 0 Carlisle
Plymouth 1 v 1 Carlisle

As you can see they aren't the best travellers when they're out of their northern comfort zone.

Infact, if you count the 2-1 loss to Walsall, they haven't won an away game from Birmingham downwards this season!

Apart from a league difference, we're on an great unbeaten run whilst they have dropped from top place to 9th recently & STRUGGLED to see off BSP TAMWORTH with 2 late goals.........don't know about everyone else, but I'm confident!

;-)
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Our home form is hardly spectacular. I reckon it'll be a horrible, dour 0-0. But then i'm known for my optimism.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
sadlad
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Tommy Tynan

Post by sadlad »

Hi wgcd. We have 'met' before :-D
wgcd
Trialist
Trialist

Post by wgcd »

In the first half Tamworth were all over us. Only some fantastic goalkeeping and inept finishing kept the half time score down to 0 -1 when it should have been 0 - 3. In the second half we improved but Tamworth were leading with four minutes to go.

I am glad that you beat Walsall. :)
wgcd
Trialist
Trialist

Post by wgcd »

Hello Sadlad, if that bloke can hit a few more like he did against us you should prosper.

Get Ziggy in charge .....
"He played it left foot,
But made it too far,
Became the special man,
Then we were Ziggy's fans"

For Torquay United supporters here I refer above to Zigor Aranalde, who played left back for Walsall and Carlisle United.
sadlad
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Tommy Tynan

Post by sadlad »

Hi wgcd.

Yeah Zigor would do a brill job I'm sure. ANYONE bar Coco Hutchings though would do.

Bowie is my all time music idol btw- great words adopted by you there to a bosting tune...
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

wgcd wrote:I like these local derby matches. We are accustomed to a bit of travelling because we play in the Third Division South. :)

You are welcome to make yourselves known here :-
http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tn ... d=18&sty=2

I need to give you one bit of knowledge about our message board.
The traditional greeting to a newcomer is
something not to be said on a family forum ;-)
Indeed if nobody gives you that greeting it is considered to be bad mannered. :)
Hello wtcd. Can you post the following on the "Good draw for me but" thread on your forum :

Buses,times,pubs and trivia.

From the bottom of the town (Fleet Walk,Strand/Harbourside), there s a Wetherspoons pub called the Green Ginger (draught Ruddles £1.65), a Lloyds bar as well so doubles up as good for the nightlife at weekends. Don t wear your football shirts in the evening ,the doorstaff will refuse entry.

Leaving the main front door of the Ginger and turning left, walk 40/50yds to the 34 bus stop on the same side. Journey time 15 -20 minutes. Ask for Plainmoor Shops(Waitrose) and get off in St. Marychurch Road on the same side as Waitrose. Directly opposite is a pub called Alibi. Haven t been in there recently so have no comment, other than to say chavvy, not football savvy. In Plainmoor(the District) there are plenty of takeaways to suit every taste. Opposite Waitrose on the corner near the zebra crossing/crossroads is the Union Inn pub. Landlord Jeff is a Gashead (Bristol Rovers fan) and welcomes away supporters. Whether you are in a minority of one or one hundred, you will find the pub people friendly and the Torquay fans open to friendly conversation/banter.

On leaving the Union, which is on the corner of St. Marychurch Road/St.Pauls Road, you are now only 5 minutes from the ground. As you walk up St. Pauls Road for 100yds, go around the bend and the ground is in front of you. What you see is the Family Stand behind one of the goals, beneath which is the football club pub called Boots & Laces. The doorstaff can be choosy sometimes but usually let in small groups of away fans and again you ll find the home supporters friendly.

To get to the away end, exit Boots & Laces, turn left, walk the length of the Family Stand, turn left again and walk the length of the Granstand to the Away section which is a standing area behind the other goal and covered by a cantilever roof. About 150 seating tickets will be available for away fans with the standing section holding 1250 approx.

On the final whistle follow the directions in reverse to find yourselves back in Boots & Laces/Union Inn pub. Directly outside the Union Pub is the bus stop back in to town. By the time you p*ss artists queue for that one they ll be running every half hour at 4 minutes and 34 minutes past the hour. Each one way journey is £1.60, but you can get a cheaper return. If you happen to be standing on the balcony of the Green Ginger having a smoke, lean over the bridge and see the start point of the 34 bus. To catch the bus at this point, exit the Ginger via the balcony, turn right go down the steps and on the level will be the bus stop adjacent to the amusement arcade. Not sure about the times on the way up in the day, but are definitely every half hour in the evening at 15 minutes and 45 minutes past the hour.

PLEASE NOTE : THE BUS UP FROM TOWN IS THE 34.
THE BUS BACK IN TO TOWN IS THE 31.
BOTH BUSES WORK THE SAME CIRCULAR ROUTE BUT IN OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS.

On the journey back in to town you ll get off at the Strand which is exactly half way between the Green Ginger and the other Wetherspoons pub called the London Inn and is opposite the Clock tower on the roundabout. These two pubs are separated by a staggering distance of a little over 100yds.

Directly outside the London Inn on the same side is the bus stop to Babbacombe. Not sure of the bus number, but think it s the 32. Get on this one and ask for Babbacombe Shops. Journey time 10 – 15 minutes. Cross over the road and see two pubs called the Dog & Duck and the George Inn. On the same side between the two pubs is Hanburys on the corner of Princess Street. Award winning chipshop but a tad pricey. Get your fish and chips and continue along Princess Street until you see the green Babbacombe Downs in front of you (100yds). Now enjoy the view from the clifftop of Babbacombe Bay and Lyme Bay. Now do an aboutface and see the Royal pub to the right of you and the Buccaneer pub to the left. From this point on the Downs you are no more than 10 – 15 minutes from the ground.

Go back down Princess Street and turn right at Hanburys on the corner. Walk 50 yds turn first left into Reddinhill Road. Walk 50 yds turn first right in to St. Anne s Road. Cut across the park on your left and come out at the crossroads. With Choice Care Home in front of you go down St. Georges Crescent then in to St. Georges Road. Go up to the crossroads and turn right into Warbro Road. Walk 100 – 150 yds along Warbro Road and take the second turn on the left in to Westlands Lane. The away turnstiles are on your right. After the game follow the p*ss artists who came up the other way back down into town. For those who arrive by train get off at Torquay Station then get the 12 bus outside the Grand Hotel and ask for Cary Parade. It will stop outside the amusement arcades and the 34 bus is 20 yds in front of you on the same side, as is the Green Ginger. A private hire taxi fare one way for one from the bottom of town to Plainmoor (ask for the away end : Babbacombe End/Warbro Road End) is between £3/4 approx. The telephone number is 01803 211611.

For those coming by car Google maps and street view.

Have a safe journey down and back, enjoy your weekend on the ENGLISH RIVIERA and please don t win or draw.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
NewtonGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by NewtonGull »

Trojan 67 wrote: Hello wtcd. Can you post the following on the "Good draw for me but" thread on your forum :

Buses,times,pubs and trivia.

From the bottom of the town (Fleet Walk,Strand/Harbourside), there s a Wetherspoons pub called the Green Ginger (draught Ruddles £1.65), a Lloyds bar as well so doubles up as good for the nightlife at weekends. Don t wear your football shirts in the evening ,the doorstaff will refuse entry.

Leaving the main front door of the Ginger and turning left, walk 40/50yds to the 34 bus stop on the same side. Journey time 15 -20 minutes. Ask for Plainmoor Shops(Waitrose) and get off in St. Marychurch Road on the same side as Waitrose. Directly opposite is a pub called Alibi. Haven t been in there recently so have no comment, other than to say chavvy, not football savvy. In Plainmoor(the District) there are plenty of takeaways to suit every taste. Opposite Waitrose on the corner near the zebra crossing/crossroads is the Union Inn pub. Landlord Jeff is a Gashead (Bristol Rovers fan) and welcomes away supporters. Whether you are in a minority of one or one hundred, you will find the pub people friendly and the Torquay fans open to friendly conversation/banter.

On leaving the Union, which is on the corner of St. Marychurch Road/St.Pauls Road, you are now only 5 minutes from the ground. As you walk up St. Pauls Road for 100yds, go around the bend and the ground is in front of you. What you see is the Family Stand behind one of the goals, beneath which is the football club pub called Boots & Laces. The doorstaff can be choosy sometimes but usually let in small groups of away fans and again you ll find the home supporters friendly.

To get to the away end, exit Boots & Laces, turn left, walk the length of the Family Stand, turn left again and walk the length of the Granstand to the Away section which is a standing area behind the other goal and covered by a cantilever roof. About 150 seating tickets will be available for away fans with the standing section holding 1250 approx.

On the final whistle follow the directions in reverse to find yourselves back in Boots & Laces/Union Inn pub. Directly outside the Union Pub is the bus stop back in to town. By the time you p*ss artists queue for that one they ll be running every half hour at 4 minutes and 34 minutes past the hour. Each one way journey is £1.60, but you can get a cheaper return. If you happen to be standing on the balcony of the Green Ginger having a smoke, lean over the bridge and see the start point of the 34 bus. To catch the bus at this point, exit the Ginger via the balcony, turn right go down the steps and on the level will be the bus stop adjacent to the amusement arcade. Not sure about the times on the way up in the day, but are definitely every half hour in the evening at 15 minutes and 45 minutes past the hour.

PLEASE NOTE : THE BUS UP FROM TOWN IS THE 34.
THE BUS BACK IN TO TOWN IS THE 31.
BOTH BUSES WORK THE SAME CIRCULAR ROUTE BUT IN OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS.

On the journey back in to town you ll get off at the Strand which is exactly half way between the Green Ginger and the other Wetherspoons pub called the London Inn and is opposite the Clock tower on the roundabout. These two pubs are separated by a staggering distance of a little over 100yds.

Directly outside the London Inn on the same side is the bus stop to Babbacombe. Not sure of the bus number, but think it s the 32. Get on this one and ask for Babbacombe Shops. Journey time 10 – 15 minutes. Cross over the road and see two pubs called the Dog & Duck and the George Inn. On the same side between the two pubs is Hanburys on the corner of Princess Street. Award winning chipshop but a tad pricey. Get your fish and chips and continue along Princess Street until you see the green Babbacombe Downs in front of you (100yds). Now enjoy the view from the clifftop of Babbacombe Bay and Lyme Bay. Now do an aboutface and see the Royal pub to the right of you and the Buccaneer pub to the left. From this point on the Downs you are no more than 10 – 15 minutes from the ground.

Go back down Princess Street and turn right at Hanburys on the corner. Walk 50 yds turn first left into Reddinhill Road. Walk 50 yds turn first right in to St. Anne s Road. Cut across the park on your left and come out at the crossroads. With Choice Care Home in front of you go down St. Georges Crescent then in to St. Georges Road. Go up to the crossroads and turn right into Warbro Road. Walk 100 – 150 yds along Warbro Road and take the second turn on the left in to Westlands Lane. The away turnstiles are on your right. After the game follow the p*ss artists who came up the other way back down into town. For those who arrive by train get off at Torquay Station then get the 12 bus outside the Grand Hotel and ask for Cary Parade. It will stop outside the amusement arcades and the 34 bus is 20 yds in front of you on the same side, as is the Green Ginger. A private hire taxi fare one way for one from the bottom of town to Plainmoor (ask for the away end : Babbacombe End/Warbro Road End) is between £3/4 approx. The telephone number is 01803 211611.

For those coming by car Google maps and street view.

Have a safe journey down and back, enjoy your weekend on the ENGLISH RIVIERA and please don t win or draw.
christ how long did that take you? Personally i couldnt give a tiny rats ass about them. have a horrible time down here. A horrible, miserable weekend followed by your team being dumped out of the cup. For good measure i then hope it rains. Or snows. Cheers then
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Only thing Carlisle is famous for is Eddie stobart, Wayne and belinda and its the the last stop before men wearing skirts country. Torquay 2-1 winners.
luknorth
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: wayne rooney

Post by luknorth »

cheers for that newtonchull!!......... for that response i hope its a fooking nil nil score bore and you have a lovely return fixture up here..... and its a lot colder oop nerth!! :-D