Latest Film You've Seen

General chat about anything else goes here.
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

Stayed awake through 2 whole films yesterday - watched Life of Pi, which was sort of okay but not what I was expecting, although I don't know what I was expecting, then saw Red on telly last night. I do like a bit of Bruce Willis action stylee stuff. Especially when I'm eating Maltesers at the same time.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Red is a seriously entertaining and funny film. Helen Mirren, mmmmm............
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

managed to view a few lately-

the damned united. i know its a few years old now but i hadnt seen it. managed to get it at a car boot for a quid (bargain). I thought it was an early boot leg copy of torquays 2012/13 season review at first with that title.

i didnt really know about this stage of brian cloughs career, or much about him at derby county. i remember him being a revered figure though, people telling me his forest side were great a few years before in europe, then winning a couple of league cups, people also commending forests football, clough having funny - outspoken - but quite profound opinions, looking very old suddenly, red and blotchy, kissing interviewers, thumping fans that invaded the pitch then when they apologised he gave them a kiss too, forest relegated, clough retired, crying at his last game, then being pissed in an interview on soccer saturday.

I do like cloughie and remember some of his interviews well, always entertaining, mourinhos got nothing on him. hell, even my idol muhammad ali had heard of him and gave cloughie a warning about his talking. i have listened to many interviews on the radio from his former players and he is such an interesting, endearing character.

anyway the film, michael sheen was bloody good, there were a few uncanny parts of which copied famous clips of clough to the letter. everybody in the main parts was spot on. a few of the footballers were a bit dodgy though.

cant understand in some ways why he went to leeds, but then it made sense in a way that he wanted to beat them and change them into his vision. therefore getting up revies nose. the bit at the end with the interview with him and revie was compelling and even prompted me to look it up and watch the whole original interview on youtube. there was loads of other good clough stuff on there also.

a good film all round for football fans about a much different era, great performance from the lead and fine support from the other actors. 8.5/10.

john carter. this took a right caning from some critics and indeed is known as one of the biggest loss making box office flops of all time. it cost $250 million+ to make and lost most of it. disney hyped it up too far in advance and not enough around its release, indeed the advertising campaign and trailers were deemed too confusing for the yanks.

the film itself ripped off a few ideas from others, but on the whole was quite jaw dropping in places, really good fun, good sci fi, good adventure, funny in places, some clever ideas, good story (not too deep and confusing), a bit twisty, a bit of everything really.

apparently it was based on a book by edgar rice burroughs (not much resemblence by the time hollywood gets hold of it).the film was supposed to spawn a trilogy franchise but because of the money lost plans were shelved. shame they ballsed up the promoting of it really because it is actually quite good and i would probably watch 2 more. 8/10

rock of ages. hate musicals, kin' hate em (except grease and rocky horror). i wanted to kill someone when i was forced to watch mama mia. i looked at rock of ages cast and thought it will be a film with different bands music in the background and it will be a proper film.

the first minute i thought if the cast start singing im turning over. guess what, yeah 33 seconds in. i bloody loved it though. the music was soft rock from the 80's when i grew up. foreigner, whitesnake, g'n'r, journey, reo speedwagon. the story was ok but the music made the film, there was just something enchanting and watchable about it all. it actually worked. plus the lead actress is an absolute babe.

tom cruise like him or not was brilliant in this, you totally forget its him, he is a tw@t but never really makes a bad film.

go on, you will enjoy it, it could be your guilty pleasure.

i was half way through the film and was enjoying it so much i reached for my laptop and bought cheap second hand copies of the greatest hits of foreigner and whitesnake off play.com, less then 4 quid for both (bargain). the film gets a big fat thumbs up and a 9/10.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

The Croods with the nipper.

Had its moments, and he seemed to be entertained all the way through it which is really what counts.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

I'll end up getting it anyway but thought I would ask what you all thought of The Hobbit now it's out on DVD?

I never got around to seeing it in the cinema despite being a big LOTR fan. My brother recently watched it and said he liked it but could tell it was half a film.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Has anyone seen Antichrist (Willem Dafoe et al)? I'm writing a thing on the BBFC (the people who classify films) and the research has thrown up some really interesting sounding things to watch. Antichrist is among them and I've downloaded it, but I'd rather not waste two hours of my life if it's terrible.

Anyone?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

ferrarilover wrote:Has anyone seen Antichrist (Willem Dafoe et al)? I'm writing a thing on the BBFC (the people who classify films) and the research has thrown up some really interesting sounding things to watch. Antichrist is among them and I've downloaded it, but I'd rather not waste two hours of my life if it's terrible.

Anyone?

Matt.
What's the film about MAtt
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

I saw Jurassic Park in 3d, which was great . 3d effect was patchy, but on occasions it worked really well. Dinosaurs!
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I dunno, I haven't watched it yet...

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

stevegull wrote:I'll end up getting it anyway but thought I would ask what you all thought of The Hobbit now it's out on DVD?

I never got around to seeing it in the cinema despite being a big LOTR fan. My brother recently watched it and said he liked it but could tell it was half a film.
Steve, I only managed to see about half of it as I tend to nod off during films that are too long, but my lil Marty said it's a brilliant film. He loves all LOTR stuff but reckons this is the best film yet. Hope this helps. I can also recommend peanut M&Ms as a marvellous film munchie.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Cheers Westbaygull. I've got the DVD here now and will watch it soon and post my findings...

And you went terrifically down in my estimations with your recommendation of peanut M&Ms. Minstrels all the way!
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

Spit the peanuts out, you'll never know the difference :nod:
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

just watched - we bought a zoo.

i knew it was based on a book which was a true story but sometimes these things turn out
sh!te after hollywood has got their hands on them.

i didnt realise the real story happened near here at dartmoor zoological park, devon, until i watched it. then i went online and read up about the real story. fascinating stuff.

of course hollywood did have their wicked way with the story, but it was a good, watchable family film. good story, bit of humour, heartwarming moments, sad moments, moments of joy, moments of disappointment, moments of triumph.

a good cast makes this film, with some quite good performances. :)

it did help my viewing enjoyment that one of the most do-able women on the planet was in it, scarlett johanssen. even with a nice green zookeepers uniform on, covered in animal sh!t, wearing wellie boots, being sweaty with greasy tied back hair that had a few wayward straggly bits, she still managed to look a damned fine, attractive woman.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

there' :lol: s an odd film floating in my bath!
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843