Latest Film You've Seen

General chat about anything else goes here.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Yesterday I watched ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ again. A great film, adapted from the classic book by Harper Lee. But the important thing is that it’s not just about racism in the US depression era. Like all classics, it stands the test of time, and the story has relevance for us all today.

Today, with a remarkable co-incidence (or is it synchronicity?) I saw this article about the story, which clearly explains its relevance:
http://www.avoiceformen.com/mens-rights ... inson-now/

There’s a scene from the film here:

[youtube]44TG_H_oY2E[/youtube]
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

I will have to give that a proper watch all the way through, I have never seen it properly but have heard and read so much, I know Gregory Peck won best actor at the oscars and the book is considered classic literature winning many prizes and critical acclaim,

I watched a very good film the other day with racism as a major part of the story - 42 - Based on the true story of Jackie Robinson the first black player to compete in major league baseball. Brilliant story about over-coming prejudice and adversity. Crikey the yanks were a racist bunch, very hypocritical as well. Harrison Ford puts in a very good turn as the chairman of the Brooklyn Dodgers, the man who decided enough was enough and gave a black man a chance to play in the national big leagues. 8/10

synopsis/review - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0453562/
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

More on 'To Kill a Mockingbird':

Despite his brilliant and impassioned defence, attorney Atticus Finch, a white man, has just lost a criminal trial of a black man falsely accused of rape. Such losses were routine in the Old South, where white women could, and too often did, have black men and boys put to death by just uttering the word "rape."

Atticus' defence of the innocent man was very unpopular in the local white community, but that didn't dissuade him from taking the case, nor from doing his best to win. But now it was over, and he had lost. With the death penalty almost certainly awaiting his client, an innocent man, Atticus tries to console him before he is led away. Then Atticus packs up his papers and starts to exit the courtroom.

What happens next is so simple, so pitch-perfect right, yet so unexpected, that it knocks the wind out of us.

A crowd of black spectators had attended the trial to lend moral support to the innocent man. They were forced to sit in the courtroom's balcony, and that's also where Atticus' young daughter, Jean Louise ("Scout"), sits, next to the leader of the black community, Rev. Sykes. The black community had just witnessed one of their own being taken away for a crime he did not commit, yet they linger on the balcony, waiting for Atticus to leave.

This is the scene, from Harper Lee's classic novel:

Atticus took his coat off the back of his chair and pulled it over his shoulder. Then he left the courtroom, not by his usual exit. He must have wanted to go home the short way, because he walked quickly down the middle aisle toward the south exit. I followed the top of his head as he made his way to the door. He did not look up.

Someone was punching me, but I was reluctant to take my eyes from the people below us, and from the image of Atticus's lonely walk down the aisle.

"Miss Jean Louise?"

I looked around. They were all standing. All around us and on the balcony on the opposite wall, the Negroes were getting to their feet. Reverend Syke's voice was as distant at Judge Taylor's:

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin'."

Gregory Peck, who played Atticus in the motion picture, said that when actor Bill Walker, playing Rev. Sykes, delivered that line, "he wrapped up the Academy Award for me."
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

Actually watched To Kill A Mockingbird right the way through for the first time the other day. A very good poignant film, subtly highlighting the evils of bigotry and prejuduice. maybe a bit over-rated but still a classic. Gregory Peck was sublime in an unassuming way.

You are right Gullscorer that scene as Atticus leaves the court was very moving.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

'Girl with a Suitcase': an excellent and quite touching Italian film from the 1960's. Difficult, unfortunately, to obtain a full-length DVD or BluRay at the present time, but thankfully available on YouTube. The final scene on the beach (at 1:49:00), with a young Jacques Perrin and the older Claudia Cardinale, is in my opinion one of the best you'll see anywhere in cinema, and ranks alongside Perrin's scene with Brigitte Fossey (the adult Elena) in the director's cut of Cinema Paradiso:
Cinema Paradiso trailer:
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

There's a new 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' film due out this year, apparently a prequel, directed by Woo-ping Yuen (who worked on Kill Bill), though it appears to be a Hollywood English language film rather than genuine Chinese. Which is a shame; I'd much prefer it to be in the original Chinese language, otherwise so much of the atmosphere and feeling of reality is lost. Here's the CT,HD original trailer:
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

Not a Cruise fan, I think his insistence of not having anyone taller than himself on set (hence his entire crew consisting of dwarves, people in wheelchairs, people with chronic ankylosing spondylitis or people stood in deep holes) doesn't endear himself to many.
But 'Edge Of Tomorrow' is a massively entertaining film.
IMHO
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

Just got home from an airport run, and Mrs Beard is watching 'Pretty Woman'.

What a pile of purile pap, I can't think of a film I've ever witnessed (I'm not watching it, it's on in front of me) that is worse.

Utter shaat!!!!! :@
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

Agree with Emmet about Tom Cruise he is a bit of a **** but he does make some bloody good films most of the time, Edge Of Tomorrow was a really good entertaining film once you worked out what was going on, he still does films like this well evan at nearly 53, yes 53 years old. 7.5/10. Yet he does make the odd Turkey like Oblivion.

Anyway -

Avengers: Age Of Ultron. - Absolutely awesome!!!!!! 9.10

Here is an email of complaint I have made to Vue Cinema and I also wrote it on a customer survey. Am I wrong or out of order?

What you charge for tickets is absolutely outrageous and utterly disgraceful. I haven't been to our local Vue in Paignton since the summer for those reasons. I have chosen to go to a cinema in the next town (Torquay) as their ticket prices are much cheaper and greater value for money. Last night my wife, son and I went to watch Avengers: Age Of Ultron in Torquay at a Merlin cinema costing £17 for the three of us. If I had gone to your Vue it would have cost me £31.37. I saved £14.37. How can you justify this? These prices are utterly disgraceful.
Even taking into account driving to the next town and back, I still saved a lot of money. I could have even paid for parking and still saved, or even the three of us could have caught the bus, it still would have been cheaper.

I am amazed that your cinema stays open, apart from when watching the Doctor Who 50th anniversary there a couple of years ago it has been many years since I have been to see a film where there has been many people in and your screens have been busy. Due to this there is also a distinct lack of atmosphere. I really noticed this a few years ago during a viewing of The Amazing Spiderman, it was a Friday, it was opening day for the film, the weather was poor, we thought an ideal time to go and watch as it will be packed and the atmosphere will be good. There were only 8 people in there including us. That is appalling. In truth, virtually every film viewing I have been to in recent years the screen has been nearly empty bar a few people. Its hardly surprising though.

It saddens me to write this as I have no problem with people making money, I'm not against corporations or business, as these things mean badly needed jobs, especially in areas like ours, I would love to see our local cinema doing well and not have to travel to Torquay but for the life of me I really cannot understand how you can charge such prices as you do and as it stands I will never watch a film at your cinema again. The cinema in Torquay may be older and not as glamorous but it definitely is much busier and has a better atmosphere by far. It would be great to see your cinema busy and doing well, but when you charge so much money to watch a film it does not surprise me that people do not go there any more . Surely if it was cheaper many more people would use this cinema. People don't like to feel like they are being ripped off, I know there are offers and saver Tuesday etc, but this leaves ticket prices still very expensive compared to the alternatives.

Dont even get me started on the price of food, drinks/refreshments etc.

I fear at the prices you charge and the lack of patronage from the people in our area the cinema in Paignton will end up being closed down, people will lose their jobs and we will end up with a huge empty building on our seafront unless things change.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

THE STAR WARS TRAILER.

I'm so keen for this film now!

That is all.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

stevegull wrote:THE STAR WARS TRAILER.

I'm so keen for this film now!

That is all.
Absolutely agree! Been well made up since I found out they were making it and who is in it. Now after the trailer Im just bouncing off the walls for it, and its at Christmas, best Christmas present I could have it will be. Saw the trailer online, then at the cinema, the same cinema screen I watched Return Of The Jedi in all those years ago, and all the original trilogy re-releases in 97, seeing the trailer made me feel 8 years old again for a minute. Episode 1 when it came out was quite good but a bit disappointing at the time after all the build up, 2 was really good, 3 was brilliant, but they just werent the same as the original 3.

I just hope the new films arent going to be a let down as it looks great and the original cast is what people want to see. Its possibly going to be the biggest film of all time (until the next one). But, there are a lot of rumours of storylines and things that might happen, I really am hoping they arent true as personally I think the whole new trilogy will be ruined and I dont see the point, it would piss the fans off conpletely. When 1-3 were announced fans thought they were going to see more of Darth Vader and his rise to power, that is what everyone wanted but nothing like what they got, 3 films, over 7 hours and about a minute and a half of actual Vader. Damn you George Lucas, we wanted the Galaxies greatest bad ass in Darth Vader and we got sodding Anakin Skywalker as a little kid, then Hayden bloody Christenson.

[youtube]ngElkyQ6Rhs[/youtube]