Latest Film You've Seen

General chat about anything else goes here.
lovinthatsurf
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: mansell

Post by lovinthatsurf »

seen hobbit and more recently les mis...says it all abt me !!!! watched the one abt the tsunami with ewan mcgregor...great film,great story.loved it
think my film critic days are numbered!
in vino veritas
fallaces sunt rerum species
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

best i can offer if the film of oil on the puddle outside my window
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

on dvd-
the watch - bit of empty headed fun, good laugh,bit slow in places. typical ben stiller type of thing. 7/10

dark shadows- unusual, apparently a series in the 70's. johnny depp superb, some good dialogue. predictable though. 7/10

friends with kids- not as funny or as good as i thought it would be. one a bloke could stomach to watch with the missus/bird maybe. some poignant thought provoking moments. 6/10

looper- again, not as good as the hype.intelligent but a bit too clever for its self at times. not a bad watch if you like the thriller , edge of your seat type of thing.the idea was good with a few twists.. 7/10

cinema- on cheap tuesday (special price day),in 3d cost £6.05. normal price would have been over £9.00 for an adult :-o

wreck it ralph - yeah, yeah i know, disney film,blah ,blah,blah. i had to take my lad to see it, he's been on about it for months after he saw the trailer on youtube. its half term and at least its something to do.i would only take him on a tuesday though. :whistle:
it wasnt quite what either of us thought it was going to be, but i must say there were some brilliant,original,very clever, really well thought out ideas, as well as being graphically stunning.another computer animation film.to be honest it will probably be just as good not in 3d though. one of the best things disney has done in ages, nothing beats toy story 3. some of the little touches make films like this. the cameo roles from old arcade game characters was great,brought back memories, some little bits for us big kids.some great attention to detail about retro games. unlike anything else they have done before but still got that disney magic/formula.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

What does everyone think of Disney's purchase of LucasFilm and the impending release of more Star Wars films?

As I've always been a bit of a Star Wars 'nut' I am pleased there will be more films. To clarify, when I say 'nut' I don't mean I'm one of those collectors of stuff that craves anything to do with the Star Wars universe. I mean I just enjoyed the films and had the occassional lightsaber battle when I was younger!
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Most British and American films are rubbish and have been for years. American films are mostly juvenile comic book nonsense. British films have suffered from the influence of theatre, literature and television, and consist mainly of scenes in which people just talk to each other. It may be drama, but it ain't cinema, and it ignores the craft, the language, the grammar of film. Movies like Star Wars may be entertaining at a certain level, but mostly remain shallow and superficial. Even those such as the recent Ewen McGregor Tsunami story are formulaic and manipulative of our emotions. Where are the truly great films which show us in a cinematic way what life is really all about, and what it means to be human?
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

stevegull wrote:What does everyone think of Disney's purchase of LucasFilm and the impending release of more Star Wars films?

As I've always been a bit of a Star Wars 'nut' I am pleased there will be more films. To clarify, when I say 'nut' I don't mean I'm one of those collectors of stuff that craves anything to do with the Star Wars universe. I mean I just enjoyed the films and had the occassional lightsaber battle when I was younger!
im just glad someone has taken on the mantle and has decided to carry on making star wars films. lucas was not prepared to do it anymore so he did the right thing. i know there has been a lot of fun made of how disney would do star wars but there is no reason why it should be any different.

disney have owned the rights to everything to do with marvel comics for a while now so they are indeed responsible for the likes of spiderman, iron man,incredible hulk, thor, avengers , x men etc. they also own many other film companies and studios which you would not realise is them.

as long as star wars keeps the same premise and feel about it the new films will be fine. i would love to see the original cast in it as the elders etc.

the prequels werent too bad, episode 3 especially but they lacked just that bit of soul and feeling of the originals. the biggest disapointment was it took nearly 3 whole films to see darth vader. when the prequels were announced it was vader the fans wanted to see. the story should have been sped up a bit so there was more of him. episode 1 wasnt as bad as some said but a lot of it was unnecessary and the story could have been done without it.

it will be interesting to see what they come up with .
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Sorry Chunky, I missed your response!

To be honest I don't even need to respond, I agree with you 99%! I only disagree about the prequels. I thought they were really good films. Everyone slated Phantom Menace in particular but I thought it was a good, fun family adventure. And Star Wars has always been about enjoyment for the whole family.

It's just hard to see where they go in terms of a Prequel trilogy. Everything was done at the end of Return of the Jedi. The sith had been destroyed and the prophecy fulfilled. What can they do? I'll be interested to find out.

Personally I think there's more potential in these other spin-off movies they are discussing. There are so many other stories that can be told in the universe it's unreal. There is a wealth of stories, such is the popularity of the series.

Nerd session over... I just watched a god-awful film on Channel 4. Skyline I think it was called. It was basically about an alien invasion and the film was rather indifferent up until the ending where they killed off every main character. Terrible, terrible ending. The human brains the aliens were harvesting wer put in to new aliens and the way the ending was meant to be 'good' was that the brain from the main man went in to an alien and he helped protect his former girlfriend whilst being an alien as he somehow remained more sane when he became an alien.

Waste of my time, that was.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

funny enough there has been more news on the lucasfilm sale to disney this week. apparently lucas already had draughts he had written for the 3 new films, this was what part of the deal hinged on.
apparently the main members of the original cast are signed up. :bow:

i did like all 3 prequels but did feel eps 2 and 3 were a bit more enjoyable than ep 1 apart from having a great bad guy in darth maul. the story should have been sped up a bit more to have a whole film with vader.

there were a lot of really good books written about the stories that happened after return of the jedi including a few trilogies. there are plenty of feasible ideas for the new films (but apparently they have already been written and decided upon).

there has been a lot of talk on the net of who the spin off films should feature. ideas include boba fett, yoda, young han solo and chewie. the most popular idea is to to feature darth vader and tell us what happened between episodes 3 and 4, showing how the empire grew and took control of the galaxy. :)

a few fanboys moan about having "another" vader film saying we've already had 6 films about him.
no we havent we had 3 films about luke skywalker and 3 about anakin skywalker. everybody wanted to see more of vader and many thought that was why the prequels were being made to see more of him. he is the character we want to see.

latest films i have seen -

battleship: alien invasion yarn, cant make up my mind if it was good or a load of sh!te.

the losers: caught this on channel 5, reminded me a bit of the a team. but was better than the a team film. good action fun. good dialogue . quite a good twisty story. 7/10
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

Jason Stathams latest film 'Parker' has the tag line "I always follow through".

I'm not scared of anyone who has to wear incontinence pants or bicycle clips! :rofl:
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

The Cranes Are Flying, Ballad of a Soldier, War and Peace..

Loads of great Russian films from Mosfilm, to watch free and legit..

http://www.youtube.com/user/mosfilm
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Watched 'The Raven' for the second time last night and wish I hadn't. Thought it was really good first time round, but once you know whodunnit, it rather loses its sparkle.

See it once, but never again.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Tinkerbell and the Secret Wings.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

ferrarilover wrote:Watched 'The Raven' for the second time last night and wish I hadn't. Thought it was really good first time round, but once you know whodunnit, it rather loses its sparkle.

See it once, but never again.

Matt.
It was the props guy, with the live bullet in the studio.

Wait, that was the special edition "The Crow" Cluedo...
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Gullscorer wrote:The Cranes Are Flying, Ballad of a Soldier, War and Peace..

Loads of great Russian films from Mosfilm, to watch free and legit..

Mosfilm, good stuff
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Resident Evil : Retribution

Avoid like the plague. One of the worst films in living memory. Wooden, pointless and embarrassing.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.