Tufc v Scunthorpe playoff 1988

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Tufc v Scunthorpe playoff 1988

Post by westyorkshiregull »

1988 playoff semi final 1st.leg full match

What memories do we have of this match. Well I can remember it very well as it was the day after the Liverpool v Wimbledon fa cup final which my dad attended. So I can remember him being rather tired for this early kick off. Full house , the disappointment of not getting automatic promotion was diluted when we took a 2 nil lead in the first half through Caldwell and Dobson. Trademark goals from them both. Dobson as always could get on the end of a ball and toe it in and caldwell using his presence.
Some really hard people in this team , Phil Lloyd , michnichol , Caldwell and impey. Not players you would mess about with but new how to play the game.
Crowd were fantastic , the weather was wonderful and indeed we took a 2-1 lead back to the Scunthorpe United old showground which was to be the last game ever played there.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Oh for some of those hard nuts today, we wouldn't be in this predicament that's for surem
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Agree ...phil Lloyd was exceptional for me
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

Yeah even Cyril got involved on the pitch & wasn't frightened to put his point across , I think given half a chance he would've taken that centre half round the back & punched him so hard in the gob he'd have had to push a toothbrush up his arse to clean his teeth.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Cyril was loved by many and will never ever forget the tannoy announcing his death. Such a long time ago but never forgotten
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

Went to the first leg of the final v Swansea in '88 , after the game was finished the teams were going down thus tunnel (we were sat right next to it ) when my old man heard Robbie James call Cyril a lucky cnut (after Jim Mc Nichols last minute goal) , the old man called James a pig shagger (he's friggin useless , but we knew what he meant ) we were all Pi$$1ng our selves laughing at my dad when Robbie James lunged at him , Cyril saw this & got in between them both, thanked dad for his support & told James to go & service some bacon !
I'll never ever forget it, good days & nice one Cyril. RIP
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Wow amazing tale from that first leg. I remember radio reports on the 1st leg game sat in my parents caravan in north Devon. Lee Sharpe was not involved I believe Cyril wanted to protect him from the game.

Glad Cyril stuck up for your dad he wasn't to be messed with. Great memories

More video to come next week
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

It's times like that , that keep you turning up every week hoping that more good memories can be made, I have plenty of excellent ones but I'm greedy I want more & more , is it greed ? I don't think so, Christ I don't think there's another club who have had the white we've had to put up with over the last 10 years.
Happy days
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Teigngull wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 20:14.....when Robbie James lunged at him , Cyril saw this & got in between them both, thanked dad for his support & told James to go and service some bacon
Made my day that has.