Part time football ?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Part time football ?

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Having read through the posts this evening and in particular when our London gulls fans talk of some players earning a very basic wage playing at national south and below in part time football , are we able to go part time and attract the right kind of players ? Would we have to go part time ? Also what consequences does national south pose ? For some reason one that jumps out at me would be even more unlikely would be reaching fa cup first round , as I assume we fall back a step in the qualify rounds. Does the amount of away fans count ? Does the travel cost come down ? Does payments from the national league drop ?
It's been mentioned before of players in the home counties who play part time that are of a high quality as their day job pays well enough for them not to go full time as they would be worse off. So they end up playing in part time clubs where they are of full time quality.
Does a town in South Devon have this option of player ?
Does the southern league and below have part time players good enough.
It's only whats been running through my mind tonight and I wondered what other people think ?
I'm assuming part time football is a possibility ?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I think if Osborne is still here for next season we'll definitely go part-time. He will see the advantage in reducing his expenditure and jump at the opportunity, afterall, he's only here to make a few quid, not spend it.

Can we sustain it, yes I think so but it won't propel us back into the National League.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by Mattpuma »

Cant see part time working like it does in London due to the paucity of decent jobs down here. Also players are not going to move for part time

An idea which makes sense to me which has been mentioned before is for the clubs training to be based near London or the midlands and the players just come to Plainmoor for games. We could attract a much larger number of players then.
Tust member 191
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Let's face it; the majority of our full-time players are only here because they can't get full-time anywhere else and would struggle to get in many a part-time set-up.

We have been paying over the odds full-time money to very poor professional footballers padded out by a load of on loan kids who can hardly cobble a point between them!
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Southampton Gull wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 21:37 I think if Osborne is still here for next season we'll definitely go part-time. He will see the advantage in reducing his expenditure and jump at the opportunity, afterall, he's only here to make a few quid, not spend it.

Can we sustain it, yes I think so but it won't propel us back into the National League.
Oh no SG it's only a " rung on the ladder" !!!!!!

Osborne the non football fan obviously thinks it's easier as you go down the pyramid. NO OSBORNE ACTUALLY IF YOUR GOING DOWN IT MEANS YOU BEEN CRAP SO THAT'S WHERE YOUR LEVEL IS...ITS BASED IN MERIT NOT STADIUM SIZE !!!!!
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 21:37 I think if Osborne is still here for next season we'll definitely go part-time. He will see the advantage in reducing his expenditure and jump at the opportunity, afterall, he's only here to make a few quid, not spend it.

This I think is the realistic answer. The fact is that as long as Osborne is here it is never going to be about sport and football, it is going to be about money, more to the point how much money Osborne can make from his ownership of the club.
We can argue all we like about the qualities of various managers past and present, or whether Jamie Reid or Luke Young are any good, but at the end of the day it is about what Merse once described as the elephant room, ie Clarke Osborne. Until that issue is decided once and for all this club is just idling along with no future.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 10:50We can argue all we like about the qualities of various managers past and present, or whether Jamie Reid or Luke Young are any good, but at the end of the day it is about what Merse once described as the elephant (in the) room, ie Clarke Osborne. Until that issue is decided once and for all this club is just idling along with no future.
Well it could be described as that but in essence for the first time since the era of Mike Bateson the club is being regarded as a business that must at least 'wash it's face' and stand up as a sustainable entity.

Personally, I don't have a problem with that and that is because of my long term abhorrance of relying on benevolence and it being held up as some sort of paragon of virtue when in reality it is short-sighted and foolish.

Of course I detest the manner in which Osborne acquired the club and the seemingly naive manner in which he was allowed to will live in my mind forever.

The club simply HAS to be self sustainable; there are no if nor buts about it!
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

Has he made any money thus far?? Surely if we go down, (when we go down) he is only going to make less money as gates will reduce, ticket prices HAVE to reduce and sponsor money reduces. The only way he makes money is by selling the ground, which at present isn't his to sell
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

merse btpir wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 11:11
The club simply HAS to be self sustainable; there are no if nor buts about it!
Agreed!!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Well he will make less money if we are in the bottom half as if we cannot compete with the likes of Truro and Weston Super Mare I can see us playing in front of 500 at home as the supporters patience finally runs out.

That said - if we are top of the league then I guess that gates would increase.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

He won't make any money from the playing side of the football club, it's all about whatever property deal he can conjure up. The football side is the least of his concerns although I'm told he is hating the negative publicity.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Dave is right......Clarke Osborne has no interest in football other than a football club being leverage to a business prospect.

The football club custodians had a responsibility not to end up in the hands of such a person and failed that responsibility and now those who support it as a football club face a gargantuan battle to prise it away from him...I'm sure he is hating the negative publicity; well shit happens Mr Osborne!
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

It's only going too get worse and worse once relegation is sealed. The shift of focus will then be on him even more. Can't hide and not talk forever osborne.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Now I'm hardly a PhD student but if Clarke hates the negative publicity then here's a thought, do something about it. Actually start taking media interviews out there, put your story across, explain why it took the club a month to appoint a manager when some do so in days, give us our five year plan, explain the stadium situation. All this would end the negative publicity if you legitimately wish well for the club.

Of course if you're only here to make money off a property deal and there aren't answers/information regarding the above then refusing to comment on anything might be your best bet ;-)
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

SenorDingDong wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 18:15 Now I'm hardly a PhD student but if Clarke hates the negative publicity then here's a thought, do something about it. Actually start taking media interviews out there, put your story across, explain why it took the club a month to appoint a manager when some do so in days, give us our five year plan, explain the stadium situation. All this would end the negative publicity if you legitimately wish well for the club.

Of course if you're only here to make money off a property deal and there aren't answers/information regarding the above then refusing to comment on anything might be your best bet ;-)
That's why he isn't.
Lucy