Torquay v AFC Fylde 11/04 (was pp on 3/3/18)

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Torquay v AFC Fylde 11/04 (was pp on 3/3/18)

Post by lucy6lucy »

11 games left. Maximum points return from winning all 11 is 60 points. We have so far managed to win 6 in 35 games. Are the optimistic still optimistic. Flyde will see this game as another 3 points into securing a playoff place. Let's face it they won't have an easier team to get a win. We are inept in defence, midfield and attack. Dorel is omitted as he has performed well.
It's bad times at the moment and it's not going to improve. Flyde will win 3-1 .

And for those that are looking at the guiesley, Solihull, chester games as wins, we have no fighters in our team .

It's best we accept relegation and plan for next season, our only hope is that the owner and co have already accepted this. First step is get rid of management duo and harrop ( Osborne is a business man, his brother in law is losing his kids of inheritance money . And plan accordingly.
Lucy
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

As things stand it's going to be another comprehensive home loss. How many will Rowe score?
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

As much as I keep conceding it's all over , I keep thinking of the maybe
We have come back from 6 points from 6 games so 11 games and rescue a 11 point odd difference ?

Can't see it but keep justifying a reason for feeling a little hope now and again.

Who knows lose 3 nil or win 1 nil

Only have a tiny bit of hope
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

lucy6lucy wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 19:33 11 games left. Maximum points return from winning all 11 is 60 points. We have so far managed to win 6 in 35 games. Are the optimistic still optimistic. Flyde will see this game as another 3 points into securing a playoff place. Let's face it they won't have an easier team to get a win. We are inept in defence, midfield and attack. Dorel is omitted as he has performed well.
It's bad times at the moment and it's not going to improve. Flyde will win 3-1 .

And for those that are looking at the guiesley, Solihull, chester games as wins, we have no fighters in our team .

It's best we accept relegation and plan for next season, our only hope is that the owner and co have already accepted this. First step is get rid of management duo and harrop ( Osborne is a business man, his brother in law is losing his kids of inheritance money . And plan accordingly.
It's Fylde not Flyde.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I suffer the same problem as Fylde ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Jerry wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 22:19 It's Fylde not Flyde.
Well Jerry, if you're the spelling patrol, then you're pretty sh1t at it....
Seeing as Lucy spelt "Guiseley" wrong too and you never noticed that.....
Talk about picking a bloke up before he's fallen down.....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

To beat Fylde you have to stop Danny Rowe!
RJ_Turner
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Danny Stevens

Post by RJ_Turner »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 00:25 To beat Fylde you have to stop Danny Rowe!
Easier said than done
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

lucy6lucy wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 19:33 Maximum points return from winning all 11 is 60 points. We have so far managed to win 6 in 35 games. Are the optimistic still optimistic?
No. I generally do not get too concerned when TUFC is sitting in the relegation places during the course of the season, as it has been a quite regular occurence since my first trek to Plainmoor in 1963, and somehow we have got out of it (sometimes miraculously) far more times than we have been relegated. Even in the last 2 seasons when things looked desparate I fully believed we would turn it around. Not this year though! Something is broken and it is now too late to repair. Reality dawned during discussions as I watched the 6 Nations. If we won 6 games in our final 11 that would not be enough to keep us up. In fact we would be well short of the standard target to avoid relegation of 50 - and even that is not always enough. With 6 wins in 35, we are certainly with this team of consistent losers not going to win 6 in 11. Will the last one out please turn the lights off......
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

Maybe it all depends on what we do on the training pitch this week - shall we practice hoofball to make the ever-willing centre forward chase hopelessly and get nowhere near the goal or his strike partner, shall we tell the midfield never to pass to one another or move forwards together, shall we work on having just one attacker in the penalty area and expect someone to make another lung-busting run between penalty areas to try and support, shall we agree to give the opposition the freedom of the park to impose themselves, shall we practice corners and crosses going over everyone's head????
Or just maybe we could practice playing as a team and thinking about how to make goal-scoring chances from open play and from passes and crosses on the deck... And even be professional in our approach...
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

Oh, I forgot the other gripe, shall we practice throwing the ball to ourselves - which does entail some support and movement - instead of lobbing it to the opposition outnumbering our two hopefuls standing up the line?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

No; they'll practice kicking for touch at the first whistle..... :whistle:
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

merse btpir wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 09:40 No; they'll practice kicking for touch at the first whistle..... :whistle:
That's one aspect of the game they don't need to practice ...they are expert at that !! ;-)
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

I know I bang the bass drum on this one but team formation would be a good starting point.

If Owers goes with the 3-5-2 formation again, Fylde will be ready an waiting to counter that formation. The are tactically aware side and their manager Challinor tends to make alterations to his starting shape on a game-to-game basis, so anticipating his plans is not easy!. For example at Orient they played a 4-1-4-1, and emerged with an impressive 2-1 win. Their formation allowed them to smother Orient when they came forwards, and they snatched goals from a free kick and a superb long range goal. Then against Sutton which they won the formation was an unusually lop-sided 4-2-3-1. With this formation the two holding midfielders were very disciplined in maintaining their position in front of the back four which meant they gave good protection to their defenders.
If you give space and time Fylde are clinical at finishing as Macclesfield Town’s found to their peril in their 6-0 thrashing.

If Fylde have any weaknesses this season it's problems with high balls into the box and from long balls over the top which have turned their central defenders when their line is too high.

Mr Owers, you consistently lay out a 3-5-2 formation map but the player are not following the same map, so they invariably get lost and your 6 wins for the season should tell you as much. The question for me Mr Owers is can you change from being a 'one trick pony' and lay out team formations for our remaining 11 games that can beat the opposition starting at Fylde. So please Mr Owers do your homework and set up formations that expose the oppositions weaknesses whether that be 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 4-2-4 or even your favoured 3-5-2, as long as it scores goals and wins games.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Hope the team surprise me and beat Fylde but I really cant see it, the thing is you know Fylde are going to
score - at least one if not two, surely not 3 again, so we have to score two or three to win. If Gowling is not
fit a draw perhaps 2-2 is best we can hope for which will be another nail in our coffin.