Just a thought & it's only a thought

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

MellowYellow wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 21:01
It appears Reid is here next season according to TU website
https://www.torquayunited.com/signing-r ... ract-tufc/

According to Clarke's agent Volenti (Luke Young also on the books) both their contracts run until June 2018.
dont know about Klukowski
With a bit of luck, there are some relegation clauses that the club might benefit from !!
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Well you would think if there contracts depended on survival it would show. I know for a fact that when Paul Dobson came down for the Netflix programme that his interview with the guys from America he stated that in his mind during the latter part of the 1986 / 1987 season he would was playing to keep his contract as it would have meant losing his job. Especially with a young family he had.
It doesn't exactly show they are playing for there jobs does it. Looks like they couldn't give a flying s***
Guildford Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Guildford Gull »

Successive managers have picked Reid but that doesn't make him a decent player
Last edited by Guildford Gull on 25 Feb 2018, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 21:01 No, Merse has his own vendetta against Young so he has his opinion but that's all it is.

Young is a decent player for the level we're at and just needs the right players around him. As someone else mentioned, he'll walk player of the year again and whether our recent managers were/are good or not, they all still pick him every time and that tells me more about him than a couple of "keyboard w*****s" ;-)
That's rich coming from a k**b j****y who won't accept others are allowed their own opinion & because he's an administrator fears the skill of debating OUR football clubs rights & wrongs or good players or bad players everybody has their favourites & players are a subjective topic TO ALL whether you agree or don't.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Ohhhhh get you. One day spouting you aren't allowed an opinion then hurling insults you couldn't possibly back up. I stated my reasoning behind my opinion, you're just acting like a big girl. How does being an Admin affect yours or my viewpoint? Grow a pair, the "keyboard" comment is just a reference to all of us courtesy of our previous chairman, don't take it to heart sweetie. I thought the wink at the end would have made that clear ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

And talking of skillful players, Glenn Hoddle springs to mind, a player who gained 53 caps & 8 goals for England over a 9 year international career, he was much better than that but successive managers failed to get the best out of him, if he was a South American or Spaniard etc or had better players around him he would've thrived at international football, just like our Luke Young would with better players around him, he hasn't had them in the 3 years he's been with us so that's why he's not fit for purpose & a bloody drain on precious finances.
That's MY opinion , debate if you will !
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I agree. Should I ban you now? ;-)
Dave

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Guildford Gull wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 21:13 Successive managers have picked Reid but that doesn't make him a decent player
I take your point but he won't have started anywhere near the number of games that Young has. He works hard and that's what I think managers like, the only problem is my dead Gran would score more than him.
Dave

Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 21:33 I agree. Should I ban you now? ;-)
Nah you don't want to do that, I've adjusted my bra strap now & I'm sitting comfortably, so let's continue......... :lol:
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Teigngull wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 20:56 Exactly , Merse is correct, how many teams better or bigger than Torquay United have shown an interest in acquiring the services of Luke Young ?
Probably the grand sum of Zero
No he most certainly is not !
Young has been our most consistent performer this season in my opinion. With better players around him he can influence games as we have seen over the years .
Maybe no one has come in for him but there may be sound business reason for that.
In fact , Luke Young aside is there any of our players on the radar for other clubs ? I’m not sure there is .
Young will get player of the season and Rightly so for just giving 100 per cent in every game he plays.
He may not be here next season and in fact nor might we be if things carry on the way they are at present.
But I don’t remember anyone thinking he was shite when he got player of the season .
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Some might count this against Young, I know Merse does, but people forget, one of the major reasons we got him in the first place was that he wanted to stay local. Merse sees that as a Mummy's Boy mentality but I don't see how it makes him any less of a man. Not everyone was attracted to the bright lights of London like some others I could mention but it doesn't detract from the fact he is a decent footballer and has a good brain. In a midfield four with a strong holding player he wouldn't need to show off his defensive game so much and would have more freedom to set things up going forward. Therein lies another problem, when was the last time we had decent wide players capable of getting the ball off him and servicing two decent forwards? We've been lacking in other ares for sure, just not in the attacking midfielder department, apart from when he was injured. That adds another quality, he recovered from serious injury and has kept on producing the goods while others have used injuries to hide.

He's definitely one to keep if at all possible.

(Just my opinion of course)
Dave

merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

tufcyellowarmy wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 21:44Young will get player of the season and Rightly so for just giving 100 per cent in every game he plays.
Player of the year is a bit of wood with some shiny tin tacked onto it. Relegation is a disgrace; and at the end of the day I am more focussed on that relegation than who gets player of the year.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Of course you are, it hardly fits in with your views on Young when 100's of people disagree and vote him as the best player we have........ again ;-)
Dave

Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

tufcyellowarmy wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 21:44 No he most certainly is not !
Young has been our most consistent performer this season in my opinion. With better players around him he can influence games as we have seen over the years .
Maybe no one has come in for him but there may be sound business reason for that.
In fact , Luke Young aside is there any of our players on the radar for other clubs ? I’m not sure there is .
Young will get player of the season and Rightly so for just giving 100 per cent in every game he plays.
He may not be here next season and in fact nor might we be if things carry on the way they are at present.
But I don’t remember anyone thinking he was shite when he got player of the season .
I cannot recall calling Luke Young shite at any time in this thread.
What I am saying is he hasn't got the right players around him to be effective so for that reason he is a luxury we cannot afford & yes you are probably right in saying he won't be with us next season where he'll pitch up is anybody's guess but I hope for his sake he gets the right playing style that suits his game.
As for the ' sound business reason's ' no other club would carry a luxury like that, especially with the finances of most clubs in this league.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Agree with that , should bleeding cancel it