Just a thought & it's only a thought

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Teigngull wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 13:09 I would bet my mortgage that the current Hereford side would annihilate this current crop of crocks of ours by halftime if they faced each other right now.
Having seen them twice this season ~ at Potters Bar and Wealdstone in the Trophy ~ I would say that lack the pace to do that. However.....Martin Horsell in goal (remember him at TUFC?) is a dominant and forceful personality taking charge at the back behind Ryan Green (remember him too) who is too short and pace challenged for NL standard football now; relying on Jack Deaman ~ who featured as a Paul Cox pre-season trialist with us ~ to dominate in the air and terrorise on the ground.

They are a well drilled, fit for Southern League purpose side ~ horses for courses which is a concept that Torquay Unite dhave never come to terms with in non-league football since he days of Paul Buckle.

It is this aspect of recruitment and team building that is so vital and so consistently neglected at Torquay United. No good having a fancy dan Luke Young looking good but winning very little in my opinion. Give me a Danny Racchi any day to get us out of the mess we're constantly in with these mentally weak characters.

Give me a man at the back who reads the game like Hereford's Green and you're half way to solving so many of the problems. Give me graft and application up front like Elliott Romain who has learned his trade in the league where we are about to decamp the way things are going and we might have a chance of making an impact next season.

If by some miracle we do survive; then it is a whole different ball game and another set of horses for courses will be needed; but it's got to be a low basic/high bonus pay structure that rewards success and not mediocrity such as the dross currently employed and over supported with two year contracts have wiped our faces with; and the sort of characters who will respond positively to that sort of regime.

Myrie-Williams by the way; made 15 appearances for Hereford United in 2009 so is no stranger to Edgar Street.

Keyon Refell smashes the second goal in yesterday

The former Cardiff City and Kidderminster man, 26, had spent the past 18 months with Merthyr after being before joining Hereford in the summer. He's extremely versatile and adds quality, pace, and drive to the side.........definitely one for National League South or North next season and he would have been a better acquisition than, James Gray, JP Pittman or the Ice Cream Man for us!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

The standards are pretty even through the Vanarama and the top 8 of lower leagues could compete as well.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Ryan green remember him well , was the Colin lee wolves connection that brought him here on loan. Good defender that I assume we were not fortunate to sign permanent
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

merse btpir wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 15:42 Having seen them twice this season ~ at Potters Bar and Wealdstone in the Trophy ~ I would say that lack the pace to do that.

It is this aspect of recruitment and team building that is so vital and so consistently neglected at Torquay United. No good having a fancy dan Luke Young looking good but winning very little in my opinion. Give me a Danny Racchi any day to get us out of the mess we're constantly in with these mentally weak characters.

Give me a man at the back who reads the game like Hereford's Green and you're half way to solving so many of the problems. Give me graft and application up front like Elliott Romain who has learned his trade in the league where we are about to decamp the way things are going and we might have a chance of making an impact next season.

If by some miracle we do survive; then it is a whole different ball game and another set of horses for courses will be needed; but it's got to be a low basic/high bonus pay structure that rewards success and not mediocrity such as the dross currently employed and over supported with two year contracts have wiped our faces with; and the sort of characters who will respond positively to that sort of regime.

The former Cardiff City and Kidderminster man, 26, had spent the past 18 months with Merthyr after being before joining Hereford in the summer. He's extremely versatile and adds quality, pace, and drive to the side.........definitely one for National League South or North next season and he would have been a better acquisition than, James Gray, JP Pittman or the Ice Cream Man for us!
That's why I'd bet a few quid on a Hereford win Merse , because of exactly what you say about us being mentally weak, we seem to have an ability to constantly beat our selves without the need for the opposition trying too hard e.g Dagenham, with all their issues surrounding them , on a bad run, I can see it now , John Still tells his players not to worry " we're playing Torquay tomorrow , they're shite , guaranteed to give you a couple chances, take them & it's game over ". What happens ? Exactly that.
We give away schoolboy goals regularly , hoof the ball forward from the back bypassing midfield & the ball come back with intrerest, someone like Danny Racchi would do just nicely & of course fit for purpose players & management who know the National league inside out , just as Buckle did, look where that got us.
Simple game football ruined by meddling fools.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Absolutely ludicrous and laughable of Merse to describe Luke Young as a fancy dan ! Just shows how few
games he has seen him play this season. Someone such as Barrie Vassallo could have been described as such
but not Young ! Mentally weak team though I agree with
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

desperado wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 18:26Absolutely ludicrous and laughable of Merse to describe Luke Young as a fancy dan ! Just shows how few games he has seen him play this season.
I've seen him play some thirty or forty times now since he's been with the club and he doesn't change ~ starts off OK and then gradually disappears until the last quarter of the game and you begin to wonder where he is....and anyway; he's not a winner is he and by that very definition he needs to be got shot of especially as the highest wage earner in the club. We cannot keep shelling good money after bad out for failure.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I like Luke Young as a player, he's one of the very few players we had over the last couple of seasons, with some genuine technical ability. But at the game Tuesday night it struck me once again, and source of constant frustration to me, just how street wise Sutton were compared to us.

We're almost certainly, barring a miracle off to the NSL, we're going to need street wise players at that level, don't think the Luke Young's of this world fit.
Formerly known as forevertufc
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

forevertufc wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 18:42 I like Luke Young as a player, he's one of the very few players we had over the last couple of seasons, with some genuine technical ability. But at the game Tuesday night it struck me once again, and source of constant frustration to me, just how street wise Sutton were compared to us.

We're almost certainly, barring a miracle off to the NSL, we're going to need street wise players at that level, don't think the Luke Young's of this world fit.
Bring back David Caldwell and guy Branson. But then again don't as our current flops will follow Higgins
Lucy
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Talking about Luke Young, why oh why is he the only player to take corners? His are so predictable, they never change from match to match. Opposition managers know exactly how Torquay corners are going to be. Nine times out of ten they're awful. Young's corners are always floated in other sides drive their corners into the mix.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Young covers every blade of grass on the pitch, 10 more with his work rate and commitment and we would
be half way up this league . He will win the Player of the Year award (again) by a street , says it all really
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Agree about the corners, he should be 25 yards out for any half cleared ones as he is the only one who can
shoot
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

desperado wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 19:08 Young covers every blade of grass on the pitch, 10 more with his work rate and commitment and we would
be half way up this league . He will win the Player of the Year award (again) by a street , says it all really
Merse is only ever a loss away from laying into Young or McGinty. Those are the rules, but I’m with you, desperado.

If we were able to have Dorel, McGinty, Davis, Young, Romain and Williams for next season, I suspect most would consider that a reasonable start to squad building.

Won’t happen, though. More likely we’d have Sam Chaney, Neal Osborne, Jamie Reid and the TUCST ‘academy’ lads turning out next season with this owner.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

nickbrod wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 18:58Talking about Luke Young, why oh why is he the only player to take corners?
....and why does he always kick for touch at every kick-off? That's moronic!
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

desperado wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 19:08Young covers every blade of grass on the pitch..........
and?
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Don't you lot get it ? We need fit for purpose footballers for this division Luke Young is not a muck & nettles footballer he's a feckin luxury who scores the odd long range spectacular effort, he may cover every blade of grass but so does the feckin lawn mower ( mind you that would probably be more mobile than our defence ).
Get rid of unaffordable luxuries & employ FIT FOR PURPOSE FOOTBALLERS who actually want to win not just pick up a pay cheque.
Sorry fellas its the ways of the world, take your rose coloured spectacles off & feckin wake up.
Elliot Romain at this present time with his work rate & effort is streets ahead in player of the year stakes, mark my words this is the type of player we want .