Clutching at straws...

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I believe he's done a bit with the youth teams this season. Not saying much, but he does have some experience...
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

From what I heard the current duo shouting since they have been there I don't think lack of experience matters a jot. As for Owers building a squad for next year I wouldn't put him in charge of my goldfish...
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Rjc70 wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 22:14Does he have any coaching experience? We’re a shambles as it is. Why enter laughing stock territory, Daz?
Because it's Torquay United and it's what we do......Hargreaves, Nicholson why not Gowling and go for the hat trick of totally unqualified managers?

I'm not defending Gowers ~ his record is indefinsible ~ but I ask you!
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

The header is 'clutching at straws ' not condoning suicide Merse.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

It will be suicide if the club clutch at a straw that can't hold it up.

As it is, there is still an argument for keeping heads, focussing on one game at a time ~ or at most a small group of games together ~ and beating the clutch of clubs immediately catchable who now feature in the fixture list ahead.

I'm no fan of Owers and especially of his points haul; but do not believe a state of panic is better than trying to keep the collective head.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Southampton Gull wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 17:11 We're going to win all 11 remaining games and comfortably stay up.............
Now why did you have to go an say that! I have to have a word with the bookie tomorrow and find out the odds!

According to Newton's Law we cannot cheat gravity - but maybe, just maybe ...

For example Leicester are renowned for their stunning Premier League title success but many have forgotten their “greatest escape ever” in the 2014/15 season. Foxes won just 4 of the first 29 league games, they were down and out. Yet at the end of the season with eight games left they pulled out of the bag - six wins, a solitary defeat and then a safety clinching draw. They did use a different.tactical formula – wait for it - three centre-backs and wing-backs – and a new ruthlessness in attack.

So can we defy physic's and stay up - its in the lap of the Gods.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Probably the most ridiculous thread EVER.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

brucie wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 09:51 Probably the most ridiculous thread EVER.
Dunno. Someone actually started one about joining forces with Truro!
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

brucie wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 09:51 Probably the most ridiculous thread EVER.
Yes it is laughable as we are in a ridiculous situation, with a ridiculous team, a ridiculous manager, a ridiculous GM and a ridiculous owner. So this absurd thread is rather apt.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Dazza wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 22:14 My idea is growing on me at least.

Last year we survived because Nicholson managed to persuade players and equally crowd that he was hard done by and that developed a siege mentality.

Gowling is a bright lad. He has got a good degree in one of the ology's . When he is on the pitch he seems to convince his team mates and we got noticeably better results. Give him a crack at management. He will either fail and we have lost nothing- do well but just fail, when he deserves a crack next year, or ( massive odds agin I know) succeed when he is of course very marketable. 0wers hasn't won over the crowd and I don't see him being the leader of anybody's 'yellow army' . The team and him failed against Dagenham and failed to turn up then when there was all to play for with a decent crowd in. The poor bloke can't seem to inspire.

This wouldn't cost money but might just give us a better chance.

We clearly have to gamble and at least this one is not unaffordable.
growing on you??? what like poison ivy?? :rofl:
a degree in an ology....bloody hell he's a scientist!!! :rofl:
sorry mate but its a crazy idea.....although I've got one...

Manager - Merse
Goalkeeping Coach - Southampton Gull
Head Coaches- Forevertufc & SNW.... (we both have a pro licence of some description as far as I'm aware)

There you are Dazza. Sorted. League 2 (at least) here we come! :)
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

WESTWARDGULL
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WESTWARDGULL »

Nothing will change management wise because it would mean Harrop having the balls to admit he got it wrong and that just isn-t going to happen.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

What about my GILBERT threads? They're even sillier.