Torquay United v Sutton United - 20/02/18

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Who would actually want Young though?
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

Scott Brehaut wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 22:52 Isn’t Young contracted for next season?
We won't be able to afford a full time contract for him :)

1300 there tonight. You can halve that next season
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

merse btpir wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 10:11 Good words and shame on the growing levels of mindless abuse on here over the appointment of two ideally 'CV'd' candidates in total conrast to the equally mindless and sycophantic appointments we saw from Thea Bristow in Hargreaves and Dave Phillips with Nicholson.......

Gary Owers and Martin Khul have forgotten more about football management and coaching that those chancers Hargreaves and Nicholson will ever learn and are simply out of another universe to the idiots who appointed them.

Thanks to those senseless and indefensible appointments THEY now have a mountain to climb and a miracle to perform with a bunch of losing, sicknote failures; who showed little collective aptitude for the job last night and were shamed by the efforts and performances of two eighteen year olds amongst them.

Either of you still willing to give him a chance?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Scott Brehaut wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 22:51 Because he is a **** moron, that’s why.
Well the manager said on the radio after the game that we can only get other people's caste offs and I would accept that except ~ when I spoke to him at Dagenham, Owers expressed the view that 'Davis shouldn't be playing in this league in the first place' .........I thought he meant he was too good for it; but now I'm wondering.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

Scott Brehaut wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 22:49 ....and so another **** thread degenrates into Nico v Owers.

**** me sideways, I am so bored of this shit, and so **** hacked off that I support a team that can’t even **** hold on to a draw.
I guess if the theme keeps reoccurring then it’s clear that it needs to happen, I agree that it is very unlikely at best that Nicho would come back, but as said earlier, we wouldn’t be where we are had Nicho still been here even on a shit budget!
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

IanGull01 wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 22:45 Errr he had an improved budget at the start of the season and decided to bring Fallon in!!
No, Fallon was the Devon based non-contract player that allowed the budget to be diverted elsewhere, as per Gerring, Finch, Fisher, Corderoy and everyone else of the same ilk signed during that era. Gerring made a reasonable impression, but none were brought in to improve the starting XI.

We offered contracts to Pittman, Keating, Gray and (loanee) Reid. That was where the striking budget went, not Fallon.

Tonight was a big disappointment. From a brief window of hope, the last two home games have destroyed any chance of another great escape. We're now looking at regional football, without any confidence in how we're being run on the pitch or off it.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

merse btpir wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 22:57 Well the manager said on the radio after the game that we can only get other people's caste offs and I would accept that except ~ when I spoke to him at Dagenham, Owers expressed the view that 'Davis shouldn't be playing in this league in the first place' .........I thought he meant he was too good for it; but now I'm wondering.
Does he include the management team as cast offs?? Bath must be pissing their pants while smoking a fat cigar counting out 30k
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Southampton Gull wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 22:57Either of you still willing to give him a chance?
Whilst standing by my words of the time; in no way am I going to defend his record which is appalling and I make no bones about that.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Probably cause I agree with you - reckon he will still be here next season.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Fair enough.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

Gulliball wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 22:59 No, Fallon was the Devon based non-contract player that allowed the budget to be diverted elsewhere, as per Gerring, Finch, Fisher, Corderoy and everyone else of the same ilk signed during that era. Gerring made a reasonable impression, but none were brought in to improve the starting XI.

We offered contracts to Pittman, Keating, Gray and (loanee) Reid. That was where the striking budget went, not Fallon.

Tonight was a big disappointment. From a brief window of hope, the last two home games have destroyed any chance of another great escape. We're now looking at regional football, without any confidence in how we're being run on the pitch or off it.
Apologies, my bad.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Goose9 wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 22:19 HARROP is the problem here. Spent just over 4 weeks looking for a manager and then spent 30k on buying out a mediocre manager from the league below. We were poor before and yet 6 months later we are no better off. Owers is completely out of his depth and yet continues to be supported by the owners. Sack Owers, sack Harrop and start again.

But that won't happen will it Mr Osborne, they're doing exactly what you want them to do. You're a greedy and deceitful excuse of a man. F*ck off back to Swindon and take your useless bumbling mate with you.
He comes from Chew Magna near Bristol and yes it looks as though it's going his way. Harrop did lose four weeks and Nicho signed a lot of injured players. I'm not defending Owers but it's hard to sign quality players once a season has started you take what you can and one gem is Romaine. Williams should never have left.

Keeper Dorrel is not as confident as he was and has cost us goals the last couple of games.
Davis has lost the form he started with and Effete was injured tonight so both wing backs were struggling. McGinty is the only centre back I rate at this standard so that's 1 out of the back 5 I rate.

Midfield.... the three could be good enough with a better back 5 or play 4.
The front Williams and Romaine with Keating as a back up I'd be happy with them.

So we've got to get the back four or five to improve and yes Gowling fit would improve this but we need one more as two are not
up to it.
The bench ?????
Sorry to be a bore but I am pissed off!
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

brucie wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 22:51 Wow just when I thought it couldn't be any worse I could have actually been there.

That must have been hard to take and you have my sympathies. If what you say about Harrison is true, then what an absolute cXXt, absolutely no need for that.
correct,

McGinty came over to give him what for, resulting in a scuffle between him and the Sutton Manager - who was a **** as well - how he never was sent to the stands i dont know
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by Mattpuma »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 22:47 Too p*ssed off

What is Davis doing challenging in the 90th minute to give away that penalty, beyond stupid

Sam Alison up to his usual standard of refereeing, complete moron

and Byron Harrison - the biggest bellend of the night - gesticulates that we are going down at FT causing a fracas in the popside of fans v stewarss
Dont think it was Harrison who did that tbh.
Sure it was number 19 Terrell Thomas. Harrison was no 34.
Tust member 191
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Owers post-match radio interview sounded like he is a 'Dead Man Walking'. How he has clung to this job till now is beyond me other than the skin of his teeth must be made of titanium.

If you feel a temptation to feel some sympathy for Owers -don't! He wonts you to consider in isolation, some crass individual errors that have blighted the season, which he claims were out of his hands. Yet these are symptoms of a broader malaise, the blame for which lies at Owers door. We might reasonably have expected Owers to have forged a solid defensive unit, but our backline has been a hotbed of indecision for most of the season. There have been back fours, back threes and endless square pegs in round holes, but not much by way of conviction, this season especially. Aside from Guiseley no other side in the division has conceded more goals than us. The lack of a clear game plan has been evident and Owers has been exposed for his muddle of half-strategies and non-existent back-up plans.

And what of the target striker Owers has spoken about sourcing -like a pet unicorn or world peace: nice to dream about but a ultimately bad choice of thing on which to pin your football club's hopes. The sheer number of other strikers who have sunk without a trace in Plainmoor mist this season is damning indictment of his so called footballing contacts and expertise.

Owers has had a fair crack of the whip and not solved the problem. Nor is it the case that he has not been backed with more cash for contracted/loan players, much more than last season. No one is arguing that Torquay's problems do not run deeper than the dugout. There is a very palpable sense of drift here, of a club groping for a future it cannot quite identify, let alone grasp. But Owers, now almost a season into his stewardship of the club, does not look like a man with the answers – or even the energy to seek them anymore. And this is my reasoning why Owers is little more than a 'dead man walking' at Torquay Utd.