Stop the Rot

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SkyBlueGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Stop the Rot

Post by SkyBlueGull »

Quite frankly I am fed up with al the bickering amongst fans about the pros and cons of Nicholson.

As a player I loved him - as a manager I am ambivalent. However he seems to get more vitriol than Dave Webb - who I know little about what he did to TUFC but sends my father in law into an apoplectic fit just at the mention of his name

Can I make a suggestion that will alleviate the problem and help the TUST

There should be a swear word/naughty word box type situation -all future mentions of "Nicholson" in posts incur a 50p penalty to be donated towards the TUST coffers.

That way people can continue to moan berate or praise the man knowing they are contributing to a good cause.

Alternatively they could concentrate on the here and now we find ourselves in.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

[offtopic]SBG... if you login and post you wont have to wait for an admin to approve your topics as a guest. :)[/offtopic]
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

I don't think Merse's pension would stretch to that.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

'Merse's pensions' leave him perfectly able to do that thanks to his judicious efforts of providing for his retirement thankyou!

However I shall more than likely change my reference of him to a different name in order to protect my standard of living as failure to do so would soon render me as indebted as Torquay United now are to Clarke Osborne! :na:

Right; I'm now off to a hospital appointment to check that I am still alive and kicking
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

My best wishes for your appointment, hope all is well.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

SBG wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 11:42
As a player I loved him - as a manager I am ambivalent. However he seems to get more vitriol than Dave Webb - who I know little about what he did to TUFC but sends my father in law into an apoplectic fit just at the mention of his name.
I think a lot of that can be put down to the passage of time. At the time the Webb era was by far the worse time to be a tufc supporter up to that point and I could go into an apoplectic fit over the mention of his name just like your father in law.
But times change, eventually Cyril Knowles and mike batson would come along and it was happy days are here again.

The real reason why we having this fight now is because Nico's successor has to all intents failed. This leaves a considerable section of the fan base getting nostalgic for Nico's time in charge, although I think the actual circumstances at the club are now worse in the post bristow era than they were in the Webb era.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Blame Mr Harrop - he started it. "These guys tick all the boxes for us" and I quote “It has been important for us to find the individuals who... can adopt our plan for sustainable success and can bring the talent, experience and contacts that are key... to climb and top the National League".

Really!
SkyBlueGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SkyBlueGull »

Louis

Don't seem to have option of logging in and posting - don't know why - always seem to have to do it this way.

I was either SBG or SkyBlueGull but doesn't seem to work
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

MellowYellow wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 13:34 Blame Mr Harrop - he started it. "These guys tick all the boxes for us" and I quote “It has been important for us to find the individuals who... can adopt our plan for sustainable success and can bring the talent, experience and contacts that are key... to climb and top the National League".

Really!
Your probably right. However that leaves us with the real possibility that Owers and co will still here next season just to save harrops face.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

Your probably right on that too - but as we could not get a decent manager for national league football who the hell would come to manage regional football. Come to think of it - who of us is going to pay top dollar to watch regional football?
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

More than a possibility P78 , Owers is going nowhere in the summer, except on holiday
I think people will come to watch regional football Mellow, there will be a lot more on a saturday afternoon
next season if we are scoring goals and winning games than there will be at Plainmoor tomorrow night, but
of course considerable doubt that Owers can build a goalscoring winning team
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 13:10

The real reason why we having this fight now is because Nico's successor has to all intents failed. This leaves a considerable section of the fan base getting nostalgic for Nico's time in charge, although I think the actual circumstances at the club are now worse in the post bristow era than they were in the Webb era.

Do I think Nicholson should have been sacked? No.
Do I think he was treated poorly? Yes.
Do I want him back? No.
Do I want Owers to succeed? Yes.
Do I think Owers will succeed? No.
Do I think Owers will be here next season? Yes.

No nostalgia here, just realism.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Probably nostalgia wasn't the correct word, but a limited secondary modern education leaves me bereft of the vocabulary to find the right word.
By the way concur with five of your bullet points.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

Secondary modern education! you lucky fellow. My nomadic childhood provided me with the wonders of third world education. I don't recommend it - but there was nothing stopping me from reading books. You will find everything you need to know within those pages.

So what is the sixth bullet point you don't concur with?
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Guess