Stop the Rot

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

I see you wanted to start a thread about not going on about Nicho etc

Well congratulations, you've created another one
SkyBlueGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SkyBlueGull »

Yes but there is £2.00 in the kitty for TUST
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 17:15 I see you wanted to start a thread about not going on about Nicho etc

Well congratulations, you've created another one
:rofl:
Lucy
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular

Post by SenorDingDong »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 13:45 Your probably right. However that leaves us with the real possibility that Owers and co will still here next season just to save harrops face.
Harrop is even more incompetant at running a football club than I already suspect him of being if he hasn't included a relegation break clause in Owers/Kuhl's contracts.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

SenorDingDong wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 18:51 Harrop is even more incompetant at running a football club than I already suspect him of being if he hasn't included a relegation break clause in Owers/Kuhl's contracts.
They will both be getting a bonus, it's all going to plan.
Lucy
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Do you actually think Owers would have signed Gray, Higgins, Klukowski, Clarke, Pittman, Anderson, Chaney or Fallon?

I don't think that Harrop/Osborne had any intentions of sacking him after four games whatsoever.

However I don't think they were left with any choice. If you hadn't been at the Boreham Wood game its not possible to convey how bad we actually really were that night.

I do think Nicholson became arrogant and started to believe his own hype. Playing a 20 stone kit man and embarrassing the club in a pre season friendly was just the start.

The signing of Fallon was again completely ridiculous - a bloke who couldn't cut it at Truro. Just plain daft.

Actually bar the first two I do agree with the rest of the yes/no answers.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Lets face it Owers has been rubbish, he who must not be named was awful, Hargreaves was a joke, Alan Knill was dire, Martin Ling did well but many hated the football, the shocking tenures we had under Chris Roberts were all a sham.

In truth its all been downhill since we were promoted to and then relegated from league one. We are still paying the price from when Chris Roberts took over the club. Poor decision making, one after the other, naive owners taken in by bullshit artists, wasted money covering mistakes, owners picking and insisting on their footballer crush being manager, the Phillips board listening to Masters and turning to GI instead of working with TUST and the fanbase, and finally Harrop being given the reins at Plainmoor. Is it any wonder we are where we are. A most unprofessional, professional football club.

Its not all you know who's fault, he should never have got the job, he had a few moments but the escape situations were partly his own making.

I dont know where we go from here, dont hold much faith in Owers although I was optimistic when he came in. To be honest I'm not even optimistic we will have a football club this time next year.

Both chaps we have had in charge this season take some blame, Harrop massively, but when you look at the recruitment and weigh up the downward spiral of TUFC, can you blame any half decent players for not wanting to come here. We probably have got in near enough the best we could get, and thats nothing to do with money. We have been looked at as a bit of a joke for some time.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

brucie wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 22:21 Do you actually think Owers would have signed Gray etc.
A couple of Owers’ recent signings are doing well, but he has made a far greater number of bloody awful ones while here.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

chunkygull wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 22:30when you look at the recruitment and weigh up the downward spiral of TUFC, can you blame any half decent players for not wanting to come here. We probably have got in near enough the best we could get, and thats nothing to do with money. We have been looked at as a bit of a joke for some time.
You've hit the nail firmly on the head.........

No self respecting professional who can get any better will come to a club that has been such a farce for so long and is a cert for relegation into part-time, regional football.

Both managers have had this to deal with this season and is it any wonder?

The answer therefore is to recruit from the lower strata of upwardly mobile and aspirational players from the very level we are about to descend into or even the level below that. I have seen so much talent in these levels but know for a fact that the TUFC management have dismissed these players ~ and look where that stupidity has taken us!

Packing a squad as full of loanees as it is, is also another disastrous policy the club has followed and this has come about because at the high end of the club's payment structure the bar has been set way too high. Prioritising your recruitment amongst those lower levels would turn up players willing to accept the mean average the club could afford equally spread across the squad instead of the scandalous weighting in favour of the serial sicknotes that have turned up on the English Riviera in pursuit of their last big pay day in a game they are no longer fit for purpose for.....too many ~ your Pittmans, Clarkes, Gowlings, Kuklowskis, Goslings ~ have had far too much time off and taken an easy ride to c£7-800 a week AND on two year contracts!

This club has been scandalously mis-managed with disastrous consequences and has reaped the harvest of it's unprofessional policies.
SkyBlueGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by SkyBlueGull »

Chunkygull

A bit unfair. The football under Buckle under the first fan consortium took over from Roberts were good years. Play offs Wembley back in the league and play off at old Trafford. Those were good times and good football. By today's teams standards not just good but bloody brilliant times.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

SkyBlueGull wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 23:51A bit unfair. The football under Buckle under the first fan consortium took over from Roberts were good years. Play offs Wembley back in the league and play off at old Trafford. Those were good times and good football. By today's teams standards not just good but bloody brilliant times.
Yes agree with all of that; BUT........

The duty of a board of drectors is to direct policy and an important part of that policy is to establish the club on a business footing, not rely on the benevolence of one co-opted member recruited purely for their monetry input rather than their intellect to underwrite their collective failing.

The success on the field disguised the FACT that the club was running on a disastrous day to day loss making level that was clearly unsustainable; and how we soon became aware of that!

This was nothing to do with Paul Buckle, this was to do with Colin Lee and the board; how many of the are around now to pick up the pieces?
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

This will probably cause a shit storm, but I have wondered about it. Suppose the Bristows had never put their money into the club. Is it possible that in 2007 the club would have had to put in place a business plan that was sustainable.
I know this means that we would probably have never got back into the league, but what now is the point of that promotion?, after all it was thrown away.
I understand that the failure to attract alternative owners is down to the financial mess the club found itself in after thea bristow pulled out.
Had we been in better financial shape, all be it stranded in non league football, we would not have fallen prey to a property developer of dubious intentions.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I agree. The Baker/Phillips era was a disaster for us. Others made mistakes too but those two were responsible for leading us headlong into the mess we find ourselves in now. No future planning, just arrogance beyond belief and a reliance on the Bristow money.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

....and it was being pointed out on here but there were many who didn't want to take it on board!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

People used to attack me for my views on Baker and Phillips but at least now they all can see for themselves the results of what I was telling them about years ago.

I was once taken to task for daring to criticise Dave Thomas as well. I think it was in reference to me stating he was just rehashing what he read on forums and printing it as news. We actually proved it once too with a hint of a signing that was never going to happen but he passed it off as imminent ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com