Stop the Rot

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

merse btpir wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 09:28 ....and it was being pointed out on here but there were many who didn't want to take it on board!
Just as we are now heading into another headlong mess and still there are many who don't want to it on board.
uffculme1

Post by uffculme1 »

Got to disagree with the statement of Brucie that Harrop/Osborne had no intention of sacking Nicholson when they did, I think the decision to get rid of him had been put in place before the end of the previous season when there was a lot of chat that Nicholson could have extra money if he altered his three year contract, Nicholson even hinted at this when he discussed his relationship with Harrop, but when he told Harrop to stick that idea where the sun don't shine and still pulled of a minor miracle and kept us up, then Harrop led by his puppet master Osborne decided that Nicholson was a dead man walking and he was going, sooner rather than later, I was no great fan of Nicholson as a manager but as a person well that is a different manner.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

So why not sack him before the season started?
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

uffculme1 wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 20:07 Got to disagree with the statement of Brucie that Harrop/Osborne had no intention of sacking Nicholson when they did, I think the decision to get rid of him had been put in place before the end of the previous season when there was a lot of chat that Nicholson could have extra money if he altered his three year contract, Nicholson even hinted at this when he discussed his relationship with Harrop, but when he told Harrop to stick that idea where the sun don't shine and still pulled of a minor miracle and kept us up, then Harrop led by his puppet master Osborne decided that Nicholson was a dead man walking and he was going, sooner rather than later, I was no great fan of Nicholson as a manager but as a person well that is a different manner.
They didn't like him and jumped on the opportunity to sack him but the intention wasn't there to sack him at the start of the season, why give him a budget to develop his own team if you're looking to sack him. Osborne is a shady figure but he was content to leave Nicholson at the helm to keep the club running before the god awful start happened, then Harrop totally botched both his manager search and the manager appointment.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Got it in one I think DingDong.
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

Unfortunately when the club is relegated to the SL I can't see it hitting the ground running whoever the manager is though doubt it will change as Owers is achieving what Osborne wants the demise of TUFC and for him the sooner the better .If the team made a miraculous resurgence in the SL then Osborne becomes further away from killing it off for his bigger plan.I can only see a manager if not Owers then someone of his "quality ",to continue the slide into the abyss so that Osborne is that much closer to claim the club is unsustainable and strengthen his hand for the freehold.As Osborne admits he's not a football man which is why he's called in his clueless henchmen too to help wield the axe.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

merse btpir wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 12:33 I shall more than likely change my reference of him to a different name in order to protect my standard of living as failure to do so would soon render me as indebted as Torquay United now are to Clarke Osborne!
What happens to clubs when they are more than proportionately indebted to one source ~ as Torquay United are now to Clarke Osborne ~ is illustrated in a feature which appeared on BTPIR this morning:
http://thelondonmafia.proboards.com/thr ... is?page=28

How long before we're back here again in regional football?
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Great reading merse. Really compelling just how football clubs really needs to have its own individual responsibility to how it conducts it's affairs. It's tough enough with all the riches at the top so even more so having to make sure clubs keep themselves afloat my sensible planning and budgeting. Can't rely on director loans , seems a bit like borrowing on your mortgage
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

SkyBlueGull wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 23:51 Chunkygull

A bit unfair. The football under Buckle under the first fan consortium took over from Roberts were good years. Play offs Wembley back in the league and play off at old Trafford. Those were good times and good football. By today's teams standards not just good but bloody brilliant times.
My post was mainly about the rubbish we have endured for 12 years +, since it really has gone downhill. I purposely left Buckle out because he did fulfill his remit, he got us back in the league, kept us there and nearly went one better and there werent many complaints about the football. I know what he did at the end of his tenure was very much a weasly thing to do, especially the way he went about it but I cant criticise the job he did. The consortium group then that took over seemed to do a much more professional job at first as well, its only when certain members left and others came in who really shouldnt have been there it all went wrong.

However, I dont view that little era when we first ventured into non league with the same rose tints and sentiment as quite a few here do. No mean feat getting out of the national league/conference as we really see now, but I just looked at it then with disappointment and couldnt wait to get out of it. I didnt feel we were too big or too good for it but I was just anxious about being there, I felt the longer we were there the more chance the club would slowly die. All those feelings I had then are coming to fruition now, but sadness, dismay and helplessness have added to the disappointment. Not shocked or surprised though funnily enough. The Wembley win in 09 was as much a relief as a joy, I was just glad we were a league club again. When Sills scored and at the final whistle rather than leaping about and shouting I just slumped down on my seat, head in hands breathed out deeply and felt an ecstatic wave of relief.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Talking of stopping the rot, cant understand why Owers has not concentrated on getting the defence right
first, isnt that where you start ? Well we are still shipping goals like there is no tomorrow, 13 in the last 5 home
league games, and 4 in the Maidstone Trophy game. He should have with his impressive contacts brought in an
experienced centre back in the autumn, instead we have had a
succession of young green centre backs. Ok he knows more about football than me, but his way hasnt worked
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

desperado wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 18:53 Talking of stopping the rot, cant understand why Owers has not concentrated on getting the defence right
first, isnt that where you start ? Well we are still shipping goals like there is no tomorrow, 13 in the last 5 home
league games, and 4 in the Maidstone Trophy game. He should have with his impressive contacts brought in an
experienced centre back in the autumn, instead we have had a
succession of young green centre backs. Ok he knows more about football than me, but his way hasnt worked
Equally goals win you games.
Lucy
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

desperado wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 18:53 cant understand why Owers has not concentrated on getting the defence right ...Ok he knows more about football than me, but his way hasnt worked
Really! you think he knows more about football than you. Even I, with my 'Subbuteo' skills could set up better defence formations. To consistently play 3-5-2 against tactically aware opposition that turns our formation into a chaotic 5-3-2 on a consistent basis, does not inspire me that he is that knowledgeable. Why did he not just break the mould against the weaker teams at Plainmoor this season and set up a more attacking formation to try and improve our win ratio. For example 4-2-4 that could revert to defensive 4-4-2 if needed. It would have probably have suited our players style of play because more often than not they look completely out of sorts with the 3-5-2 formation.