Super Kev To You

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Owers actually said that "we let them down".
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

The opening paragraph of the BBC report 'Torquay United's players let their fans down with their performance in the 3-0 home defeat by Dagenham & Redbridge, according to manager Gary Owers', I concede may have been written out of context. I accept the quotation of 'we' to include Owers as well as the players.
Guildford Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Guildford Gull »

Yorkieandy wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 11:08 Nicholson was sacked in September i think? Owers has brought in more players than God knows what, has had nearly 6 months to improve a side in a league which half of the teams in it are absolute dogshite and yet the club are second bottom. If Nicholson is a poor manager which he may be, Owers is absolutely rank.

I have no doubt whatsoever that if Merse, Brucie, SG Dave or most on this forum would have had the opportunity that Owers has had and managed the team for 6 months then the worst they could manage would be one place below what bloody Owers has 'managed' to 'achieve'.

Owers is an abomination of a football manager. Totally inept. It's nearly March. How can Nico still be blamed for the club being 2nd bottom?
We get it. You don't think much of Owers.
Guildford Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Guildford Gull »

desperado wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 14:20 I see in the programme countdown of our greatest players of all time, Kevin Nicholson was voted the 7th
best ever fullback, I dont think so , depends how old you are I suppose. Brian McGlinchey was 17th , think they
got them mixed up. Bill Kitchener number one for me
Didn't see Kitchener play but without trawling the internet to list our full backs over the last 40 years I'd put Gibbs, Gurney and Holmes way above Nicholson as full backs.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Guildford Gull wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 16:47 We get it. You don't think much of Owers.
I'm just so pleased i've made it so obvious. Misunderstandings on here aren't uncommon. :}
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

Talking of full-backs. I see Durrell Berry is still applying his skills with Kettering Town in the Southern League Premier albeit out for the rest of the season with a ruptured Achilles. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42269213

Joined Rene Howe who made a substitute appearance for them on Sat.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Can't say i thought kevin was a bad full back at all. Defended well , could run the line well. Good at throwings.....reminded me of tom Kelly. Did what it says on the tin. Both of them must have looked after themselves well because played until a good age.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

desperado wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 14:20 I see in the programme countdown of our greatest players of all time, Kevin Nicholson was voted the 7th
best ever fullback, I dont think so , depends how old you are I suppose. Brian McGlinchey was 17th , think they
Bill Kitchener , a bit early for me so can't comment, but Twitch #1 , Gibbs & Gurney best pair of fulbacks in my time .

Repaired your post for you (SG)
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Thats a disgrace, Brian McGlinchey was a waaaaaaay better player/left full back than Nicholson. In my time Tom Kelly, one season of Paul Gibbs and John Uzzell were better left backs also. I would rate Nicholson as quite good but not great. I dont understand this legend crap, it infuriates me to be honest. Its the fact we have had so many rubbish years out of the last 13 that Gulls fans are so hungry and starved of anything decent they just grab any crumb of mediocrity, gobble it up and celebrate it. Nicholson was a player here for two years too long and add that player manager bollocks we witnessed when he picked himself to that too. I still dont see the logic in how being a half decent player who hung in there way too long qualified him to be our manager.

If you want to start about right backs as well that would push him a lot further down the pecking order of fullbacks.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 17:53 Can't say i thought kevin was a bad full back at all. Defended well , could run the line well. Good at throwings.....reminded me of tom Kelly. Did what it says on the tin. Both of them must have looked after themselves well because played until a good age.

Except the fact Tom Kelly was a lot better.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Tom Kelly played many years in non league after his professional career ended. Is he still involved in the game at all ?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

chunkygull wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 22:02 I dont understand this legend crap, it infuriates me to be honest. Its the fact we have had so many rubbish years out of the last 13 that Gulls fans are so hungry and starved of anything decent they just grab any crumb of mediocrity, gobble it up and celebrate it. Nicholson was a player here for two years too long and add that player manager bollocks we witnessed when he picked himself to that too. I still dont see the logic in how being a half decent player who hung in there way too long qualified him to be our manager.
By definition that the club is now non league; no-one who has been involved in it during this time or the time before can authentically be described as any sort of legend when at the peak of it's history these players would have struggled to get a reserve team berth.

It's just laughable; and an insult to the real deals ~ the legends who really were legends at levels of the game way higher than the club struggles in now ~ half of those players listed in that laughable farce are no-marks of the highest order!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

Well Nicho did not get the Halifax post it went to Jamie Fullarton (ex Notts County Manager).

Held Head of Coaching roles with Nottingham Forest, Bolton Wanderers, Blackburn rovers as well as 1st team coach at Crystal Palace.

Football career with clubs such as Crystal Palace, St Mirren, Brentford and Bastia

http://fchalifaxtown.com/news/fc-halifa ... m-manager/

Not sure what to make of this one particularly after his first managerial job at Notts County where he was sacked after 70 days after fans held protests calling for his sacking.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35853961
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Disappointed for him. He deserves another chance at this level with a more settled club behind the scenes and i'm sure he will get such an opportunity soon. Surprised at the appointment of Fullarton though. Not done anything at all in management and only had the one brief stint at Notts County. Not an inspiring appointment when you're the team the bottom 4 are looking to catch.

Could play into the hands of Torquay? Or probably could possibly get the new manager bounce that Torquay haven't had since about 1957.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

MellowYellow wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 17:13 Well Nicho did not get the Halifax post it went to Jamie Fullarton .

Held Head of Coaching roles with Nottingham Forest, Bolton Wanderers, Blackburn rovers as well as 1st team coach at Crystal Palace.

Football career with clubs such as Crystal Palace, St Mirren, Brentford and Bastia

http://fchalifaxtown.com/news/fc-halifa ... m-manager/
They obviously went for the 'cheap option' M.Y. ..... ;-) Personally, I think it would be to Nicho's interest in the long run if he took a step back and went for an assistant manager's post with an experienced manager at a club WHERE THE CHAIRMAN TAKES AN INTEREST !!!!