Gus off to Hull

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Gus off to Hull

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

looks like Angus is off to Hull....

with a 15% sell on fee it means we could be in for a few quid.... :)

however there is probably no chance of the money being invested in the team.... probably straight in to Osbornes pocket.... :@
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Let's hope he does get a decent move ,but he has apparently developed an iron deficiency which according to some Tykes fans has impacted seriously on his form & put him backwards in their opinion.
What do you think he's worth 1,2,3 million quid or will they do a Torquay & sell him on the cheap ?
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Not Gus related but all the same. Only just learned that Bodin has signed for Preston. Best of luck to the lad and fair play. Gradually making his presence felt as a footballer.
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Yorkieandy wrote: 30 Jan 2018, 20:29 Not Gus related but all the same. Only just learned that Bodin has signed for Preston. Best of luck to the lad and fair play. Gradually making his presence felt as a footballer.
He's scored tonight for them... good start.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Haha yes, just seen. Two up now. Barkhuizen, ex Morecambe. Great to see players from the lower leagues get the chance over overrated foreign nobodies.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Yorkieandy wrote: 30 Jan 2018, 20:29 Not Gus related but all the same. Only just learned that Bodin has signed for Preston. Best of luck to the lad and fair play. Gradually making his presence felt as a footballer.
I also see Alex Fisher left Motherwell to join Yeovil Town on a 18 month deal. Forgotten him? - played 22 times for us 2015 (7 goals) not a proflic goalscorer, although his 7 goals that year would make him our leading goalscorer this season.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

MellowYellow wrote: 31 Jan 2018, 02:56 I also see Alex Fisher left Motherwell to join Yeovil Town on a 18 month deal. Forgotten him? - played 22 times for us 2015 (7 goals) not a proflic goalscorer, although his 7 goals that year would make him our leading goalscorer this season.

Amazing when you put it all into perspective. I'm sure we would all bite at the opportunity of being where we were with Hargreaves as manager and mid-table.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote: 31 Jan 2018, 03:31
Amazing when you put it all into perspective. I'm sure we would all bite at the opportunity of being where we were with Hargreaves as manager and mid-table.
I am not sure - there were lot of fans not happy with Hargreaves equally as they were not happy with Nicholson. I often wonder if these fans are now happy with our current management team that 'tick all the right boxes'.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

There were lots of fans ' not happy ' with what Leroy managed to achieve in 2004 as in some people's eyes he 'lucked' into Roy Macs nucleus of a team & over achieved.
Not a theory I subscribe to even though many do.
Manager's popularity is gauged on the success or failure of the team (duh) but think of it this way would Kevin Nicholson be so popular if he didn't pull off miracle #1 or #2 ?
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

From what I remember Paul buckle came in for a lot of stick, although imo he was our best manager in all my time as a supporter.
I think Cyril Knowles is the only universally popular manager we have had.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Owers is probably the worst manager in full time professional football but I'd take him anyday over Hargreaves.

Hargreaves attitude as a manager stank as did his lack of any common sense or ability in management. Just summed up the way the club were run back than with that 'it'll all be fine' lackadaisical approach to everything.

I'm embarrassed to call him a Torquay legend nowadays. That claim to fame has been well and truly destroyed in my eyes. Nico though you can still say that about despite having many more hurdles in his way managing than Hargreaves did.

It's the debate that will run and run for all time.

Anyway, on the Gus thing. Maybe it would be an idea for the managers who actually discover and develop players who then go on to be sold for bigger money to get a cut of any sell on fees?

We have a situation where Gus was sold before CO arrived and the man who signed him and sold him isn't here anymore yet the person who deserves the money doesn't get it and the person who doesn't deserve it gets it.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

But it was the clubs money that allowed the manager to employ the player in the first place, and the clubs money paid the wages of manager and player. So the situation where it is the club that gets the money is just.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote: 31 Jan 2018, 03:31
.....and too think that a few years ago I got slated constantly on here for saying I'd take 20th place in league 2 for the next 20yrs.....
if only....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 31 Jan 2018, 09:02 From what I remember Paul buckle came in for a lot of stick, although imo he was our best manager in all my time as a supporter.
I think Cyril Knowles is the only universally popular manager we have had.
He was our best manager because he had the best budget. He benefited from the open cheque book era.

I would put my mortgage on him not being able to get us out of this mess.

He also couldn't wait to join The Gasheads. That, in my opinion, cost us the play off final at Old Trafford and left a sour taste
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 31 Jan 2018, 09:27 But it was the clubs money that allowed the manager to employ the player in the first place, and the clubs money paid the wages of manager and player. So the situation where it is the club that gets the money is just.
I see what you are saying Plainmoor78 but CO wasn't the owner at the time so shouldn't benefit. The player was developed, sold and had left BEFORE CO bought the club so CO has had no input into paying the players wages etc etc so shouldn't get a penny.

Any player that is sold whilst CO is in charge then that money deservedly should go back to CO to do what he sees fit with it which is unlikely to be to the benefit of TUFC. I would propose that each club has a trust fund set up where monies from past sell on clauses can be set aside and not permitted to be touched by owners who weren't in charge when the player(s) were at the club and sold.

I'm confusing myself now :lol: but hopefully someone will be able to see what i'm trying to say. Whether it would be a good idea or not i don't know but i think it would be a fair idea.