Brett is Back!!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Williams was a disruptive influence within the squad as he often demonstrated out on the pitch. He's been the same since he was a kid playing Tyro League football. Yes he's a natural goalscorer but when you take on a manager it will usually be the player that leaves the club. You can write all day long about training methods and fitness but don't let's think he was mis-managed, he was disruptive and was getting booked almost every game, usually for petulance, how many managers let players get away with that? Nicholson proved with MacDonald that he could manage players with attitude but it takes two, unfortunately Brett wasn't for compromise so wasn't able to remain.

Happy to have him back, let's see if Owers can get more from him but please let's get off this Nicholson bashing, move on.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

"please let's get off this Nicholson bashing, move on."

Hear hear - there must be others apart from me and Southampton Gull who are absolutely sick of hearing Nicho blamed for many of the club's ills. Let's move on indeed!
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Agree. The club has been on a one way path to oblivion well before Nico stepped in. The fact he kept the club up twice against the odds thus delaying this inevitable oblivion and yet is still having fans having a pop at him saying it's his fault is not really surprising sadly.

I mean Knill and Hargreaves did a fantastic job before him and Owers since is practically shit hot!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

budegull1954 wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 21:25 "please let's get off this Nicholson bashing, move on."

Hear hear - there must be others apart from me and Southampton Gull who are absolutely sick of hearing Nicho blamed for many of the club's ills. Let's move on indeed!
I agree the whole saga with Nicholson is getting boring. But Nicholson didn't include in his retention of category A players, Brett last season. Why?
Lucy
Arrywithnobrain
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tony Brown

Post by Arrywithnobrain »

lucy6lucy wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 21:34 I agree the whole saga with Nicholson is getting boring. But Nicholson didn't include in his retention of category A players, Brett last season. Why?
Why have Bromley allowed Williams to leave?
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Arrywithnobrain wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 21:43 Why have Bromley allowed Williams to leave?
I expect pretty much the same reasons as we let him go the first time round.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

I don't think for a minute Williams will change. He will I believe play on his own terms and most managers I guess would have real problems with that. However since Williams left under different managers we have played virtually without an attack. Small young players simply haven't cut it and we simply haven't held the ball up enough. To try to con ourselves we could reincarnate spent 36 year old strikers was ridiculous . I still hope we can bring one more big awkward striker to use alongside Brett on occasions. However we are now in the last chance saloon. Williams is a gamble - if he can do anything at all it might just give us one more last chip.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

With Bret it's all about getting two players up front. A 4-3-1-2 or 3-5-2 if we had him a couple of months ago we would have been a lot better off. Best of luck tomorrow but I think we need another centre half.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Got a feeling this is going to end in tears
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

Frankly, I'm just shocked that non of our so-called 'in the know posters (I miss roadrunner) flagged this up before it happened.

Delighted to see Brett back, if he can play with that fire in his belly that he got after that disallowed goal, I'll take a few yellow cards. Feed him and he will score. Might be too late, but he suits our style of play far better than a Fallon 2.0.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

"so called" by people like you?

Perhaps if one of the preferred targets could have been persuaded to join they wouldn't have had to panic and go back to Brett Williams? He's hardly the big target man they were looking for to partner Romain. Fairly similar players so let's wait and see what happens when they play together, could prove to be a prolific partnership but that requires some wide men that know how to feed the ball to them correctly...............
Dave

kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Perhaps his return had more to do with the supporters warm reception he received when he came on and after the game.

Harrop probably stumped up the extra cash to get the crowd off his back.😉
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I think Harrop would do anything to get the fans onside ;-)
Dave

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I posted right from the very start the Nicho v Ower's debate would rumble on and on, it happens at every club where a manager is sacked a replaced by another, also don't see for the life of me, why posts slamming Ower's (deserved right now) are allowed with out criticism, yet posts (also deserved) slamming Nicho are not, he has played his part in our downfall, and the reason why, persoanlly I'm so against, oh he loves the club, ex-player, legends, being appointed managers.

Right back on topic. Forgeting everything that's happen before, Brett Williams is a proven goal scorer not doubting it, his career stats prove it also, but his career to date, also proves Williams to be a confidence player, his career also proves him to be a player that needs careful management and handling.

Honestly, I couldn't give a rats arse if drops in and out games, back end of last season he was scoring for fun, if he can do that again, and there's reason why not, at all levels there are both managers and players that just seem to fit at one club rather than another, I think Williams just fits at TUFC, there's no reason why he can't hit the ground running.

Goals lead to points, points lead to confidence, confidence breeds itself. We've not had a genuine scorer all season, the reason why our team have lost so mnay games they've dominated, in all honesty think there's to much to do now, to avoid the drop, but never give up.
Formerly known as forevertufc
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 27 Jan 2018, 09:45 I think Harrop would do anything to get the fans onside ;-)
Except eat a salad... :}

PS and yes 'so-called', we have a couple of people who reliably dish out some pretty solid info (you and merse included), yet recently we seem to have been inundated with people claiming to know everything that's going on (particularly on Facebook) with little substance. Sorry if I didn't make the distinction ;-)