Brett is Back!!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

yellowsmiffy wrote: 27 Jan 2018, 11:53 Great, so we can look forward to getting relegated with a slightly better goals and points tally than we would have had before.

There's a reason Brett is keen to come back and that's because he's not wanted elsewhere, just as he's wasn't wanted by Nico. At the time, I thought Nico should have built a team around Williams and used him much more - you didn't see managers asking Dimitar Berbatov to close down, chase long balls and press for 90 minutes. Some players are effective when they're allowed to just 'do their thing', but when I heard he'd been a bad egg in the changing rooms, it made more sense. It's impossible to know what goes on behind the scenes and I'm sure that Nico didn't take the decision to emit Brett from the first team lightly. Although some troublesome players are worth persisting with, the fact that clubs don't seem to want to hang onto Brett shows he's doing something wrong and if he hasn't learnt by now, I doubt he ever will.

In pure footballing terms, he is a talented player at this level and I'm glad the fans who still go to games might have a few more goals to watch while we say goodbye to the National League.
:goodpost:
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Blimey. Four pages already. You'd think that with this sort of hype he's a shoe in to go and score a couple today..........................

except this is TUFC and it won't and can't happen. :-/

As someone else stated. Even if he hits the ground running. It's already too late.
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Yep . Already too late. In any case ,despite his obvious flashes of class last season he was high maintenance and rightly Nicho saw more negatives than positives.
This time around it doesn’t matter whether he tracks back or grafts for the lads as we are already fooked.
I expect he will bag a few while here but in tight games when he needs to bust a kidney in the last 5 minutes he will hide or be subbed.
He is not the big ugly centre forward we needed but he’s probably the best alternative available .
Seems more a tactical fan appeasement move rather than a strategic footballing masterstroke.
I thought he could play and saw why he must frustrate the hell out of managers and his teammates.
He’s got to be in last chance saloon for a punt at a decent career so I hope he gives it warts and all.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

MellowYellow wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 21:03 Looks like the benefit of hindsight has not avoided repetition.
Should have been a politician. He is able to twist any argument to match his own agenda. ;-)
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Hate to be a negative nelly, but it's not like one player is going to magically move us up the table? And, even if he did, we have a bigger problem on our hands than just the players and the management. Bringing in a striker who can score goals is great, but when we're almost already relegated with an owner who has no interest in the club whatsoever, one player is not going to change that. I just think that the reaction is way OTT, it's the like the messiah has returned. It's certainly not that.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

well he came on as a sub, did well, put himself about - as he was left up own his own 2v1, held it up well, some good touches and tracked back!
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote: 27 Jan 2018, 16:35 Hate to be a negative nelly, but it's not like one player is going to magically move us up the table? And, even if he did, we have a bigger problem on our hands than just the players and the management. Bringing in a striker who can score goals is great, but when we're almost already relegated with an owner who has no interest in the club whatsoever, one player is not going to change that. I just think that the reaction is way OTT, it's the like the messiah has returned. It's certainly not that.
Oh you should've seen the reaction when he walked over to the bench at the start of the game, never mind when he came on in the second half and proceeded to offer about as much as Reid had done. It was quite comical as I don't remember this complete devotion to Williams last time he was at the club. Bizarre.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Orange Gull wrote: 27 Jan 2018, 18:50 Oh you should've seen the reaction when he walked over to the bench at the start of the game, [highlight=yellow]never mind when he came on in the second half and proceeded to offer about as much as Reid had done[/highlight]. It was quite comical as I don't remember this complete devotion to Williams last time he was at the club. Bizarre.

we obviously saw it different.
all about opinions......
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 27 Jan 2018, 18:52
we obviously saw it different.
all about opinions......
Indeed, I didn't think he lived up to all the hype. I'm really hoping he finds some form and does well for us though.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

This is nothing more than hyperbolic hysteria. Williams isn't that prolific a striker, certainly not since his Aldershot days, and certainly not prolific enough to lift us out of the mire on his own.
Christ he is a journeyman non league footballer, not **** messi.
alitufc
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by alitufc »

Its not really surprising is it. I quite often feel hysterical when watching TUFC :scarf:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Starting to fear for the mental health and well being of some. For the first time during this entire season we've got some one in the squad who can score goals, and yet we still find so many reasons to be cheerful :)

No Williams isn't that prolific goal scorer, but then take a few moments to actually look at his career stats, how many times he's played a full game, and wonder how many goals he might have got if left on the pitch longer, no he's not going to save us on his own, but given the right circumstances, he will score goals.

Should that happen, it will lift the rest of the team, and then who knows, will the results start coming in, would be nice to at least finish the season with some momentum on the pitch, as the bigger battle, is clearly off it.
Formerly known as forevertufc
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Williams needs to start every game for at least the 1st hour and put Reid on the bench. Owers’s logic is arse about face!
Let’s have our goal scores on the pitch so that we can take our chances and try and hold onto a lead.

Reid is a bench player and nothing more that that!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Agree ...he got a bit of pace better at end of game
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 28 Jan 2018, 09:29 Agree ...he got a bit of pace better at end of game
:)
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal: