Need Help

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Helping the club through benevolence is no more helpful to it than chucking money to a street drinker so he can buy more booze ~ this is what Thea Bristow did when the patient needed ~ not more booze ~ but the will and appetite to enable himself to be sustainable, responsible and capable of sustaining itself in the future
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Thea didn't give the money straight to the street drinker though did she? She gave it to the charity for the homeless whose board of trustees decided it would be a good idea to buy booze and then squander the rest whilst assuring her that everything was ok.

You forgot the middle men where the actual culpability lies.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

An old lady wins the lottery. Wants to retire to Spain so she finds a company that helps relocate people.

Hands over the cash and 6 months later she's left with a knackered old static in Benidorm and the company have gone tits up and everything and everyone has done a runner.

Like I said. Thea was naive perhaps but the clubs demise wasn't anything to do with her.

She just handed over the money and left the rest to trust.
SBG

Post by SBG »

Merse

I think you can be a bit harsh on Thea

I would use the following hypothetical situation as an example

If I/my wife were extremely wealthy and I died - I think my wife in memory of me would seriously consider ploughing funds into a project such as TUFC in memory of me and my other love.

Now my wife knows little about football - she knows Torquay play in yellow and play at Plainmoor - and even less about finances - she struggles to manage the housekeeping.

She would be heavily reliant on the advisors/board of directors at the club to manage her investment and plough the funds into the club in a sensible manner. She would be ripe for being taken advantage of by those seeking to line their own pockets

This is where I see the problem lies and I would be turning in my grave if she was subsequently criticised when she did something with the best of intentions and was ripped off by those seeking to take advantage of her.

The only thing I would say in this situation is that one of my daughters is an accountant and she would be supporting/querying everything and anything my wife was being advised on. I am surprised that there weren't members of Theas family supporting her in the same way.

SkyBlueGull
Baegull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Baegull »

Perhaps Paul Sturrock will be more helpful to us when we need to start the (pheonix) club again after Osborne has decimated the current one to feed his own greed.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

:'(
Southampton Gull wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 10:08 Jeff, I assure you this user account is 100% genuine.
On what grounds can you be so certain? I don’t recall providing any identification or personal details when signing up to the forum?

I could set up a new account right now and call myself Paul Sturrock couldn’t I?
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Email address has been used by Plymouth Argyle's official website as the organiser for their 2002 promotion squad reunion dinner. Unless someone impersonating Paul Sturrock organised that event without the club, any fans or former players realising, then it is genuinely Paul Sturrock posting the messages from the account he set up.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Bristol_Gull wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 13:31 :'( On what grounds can you be so certain? I don’t recall providing any identification or personal details when signing up to the forum?

I could set up a new account right now and call myself Paul Sturrock couldn’t I?
Why should I share the proof and how it was obtained with you? If you choose to disbelieve what I say in regards to another member that's your prerogative. It's definitely Paul Sturrock.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

Jeff,

I would suggest you ignore this thread if you are not convinced! Dave and others have verified it - that's good enough for me. If I was Luggy, I would be a bit put out by your sniping. I think any help is good help at the moment don't you?

Cheers Luggy.....
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

A shame Paul Sturrock was not brought in when they sacked Nicholson or even to help Nicho
I dont think we would be heading for the Nat South if that had happened, but Harrop said he wanted to go
in a 'different direction' ( think those were his words though cant be 100 % so I haven't used "......." dont
want to upset anyone ) obviously downwards
Eastdevongull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Eastdevongull »

Dear Luggy,
Here is the information you have requested:

[email protected]
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

sgf wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 14:30 Jeff,

I would suggest you ignore this thread if you are not convinced! Dave and others have verified it - that's good enough for me. If I was Luggy, I would be a bit put out by your sniping. I think any help is good help at the moment don't you?

Cheers Luggy.....
I couldn’t really care less whether Sturrock is put out by my comments. If he didn’t want to know, don’t put it on a public forum where people can pass comment.

For the record, I would have no problem with Sturrock offering his help if he conducted himself professionally. It should have been kept behind closed doors.

Let’s look at it like this. A sequence of events:

- Sturrock offers his services to TUFC
- TUFC decline his offer

Now whether they were right to decline it is a matter for debate. Sure extra help would have been good, but Sturrocks last gig at Yeovil was hardly as success. The above events should have been where it all ended, not further discussion needed. What I don’t like is that Sturrock has added the next event in the sequence;

- having been told “thanks but no thanks” by TUFC, Sturrock takes to the internet to make public his offer and the fact it was rejected.

That, for me, is just destabilising things and undermining the manager (who admittedly is undermining himself anyway via matters on and off the pitch). Any conversations like that should go on behind closed doors, between professionals. As it is, he’s gone public and for you lot in a froth and given more ammunition to rant at the club.

I wonder what some people on here would do if they didn’t have Torquay United to bitch about every 2 minutes
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

I thought Luggy contacted the club but got no response whatsoever from the club rather then getting one which was to decline his offer?

I tend to agree with Jeff that a professional person should approach things professionally which is what he did by contacting the club and not put things on a public forum but i assume that luggy was put outand frustrated by the clubs rebuttal and wished to let us know that he did make the effort to help. Perhaps he's not gone the right way about it if we are being pedantic but his heart is in the right place which is the main thing. Unlike a lot of Torquay fans who don't appear to have one.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

The point is, he wasn't told "No thanks". His offers of help have been ignored.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

He did receive a response from the club.
lugmeister wrote: 21 Nov 2017, 09:09 Have received an email from the Head Coach who is Geoff Harrop thanking me for my offer and explaining to me the vast improvement in performance of the team and the short time he had been manager,thus must decline my offer,