Survival: Could we do it?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Is there any hope? Can we survive?

Yes. The Greatest Escape of all is just around the corner.
15%
If we replace the manager, maybe...
8%
No. Doom awaits.
77%

Total votes: 688

madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Survival: Could we do it?

Post by madgull »

I was looking at our run-in for this season, and perhaps I'm a fool, but I saw a glimmer of hope...but maybe it was just the metaphorical oncoming train of relegation. We have a a run of games against teams at the foot of the table, so a succession of six pointers are coming up. Assuming the high-flying teams just destroy us, but that we can beat those around us and draw with mid-table/playoff challengers, we could see the following:

FIXTURE LIST:
A v Macclesfield (1st) 0 points
H v Barrow (20th) 3 points
A v Maidenhead (13th) 1 point
H v Dagenham & R(10th) 1 point
H v Sutton (3rd) 0 points
A v Leyton Orient (19th) 3 points
H v AFC Fylde (9th) 1 point
A v Maidstone (14th) 1 point
A v Solihull Moors (21st) 3 points
H v Guiseley (23rd) 3 points
A v Chester (22nd) 3 points
H v Woking (16th) 3 points
A v Dover (6th) 1 point
H v Halifax (17th) 3 points
A v Hartlepool (18th) 3 points
H v Ebbsfleet (11th) 1 point

Total points gained: 30
Final points: 50...which might keep us up. Maybe.

Although, now I look back, at this stage last season York were only 25 points (five more than we have now!) and managed to come back to 50 points...they were still relegated. I'm not one for endless last chance saloons, but looking at the numbers, if we don't get anything at Macclesfield and then lose at home to fellow strugglers Barrow, I really can't see any way back. Hell, this is the only way I see to survival and it would require us to go 11 games unbeaten, so if I'm being honest I don't know if I see a way back anyway...
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Keep tweedle dum and tweedle dee at the helm and it's already over.

Get in a new manager asap who has experience then i wouldn't rule it out. The Barrow game must be won however.

No matter who is in charge, lose both Macc and Barrow and that's the last chance gone.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Nope too late for a new manager now, he'd need a few games to asses the team, there would be even more wholesale in's and out's which would be counter productive at this stage, the only hope for a new manager would be some dead cat bounce. Think we're relying on Ower's finding the magical formula now, and not holding my breath on that one, to be fair he throw some money at trying to get a goal scorer didn't work out, he said we needed a hard man in midfield, we've managed to find a twinkled toed ponce, again to be fair the loss of Davey was huge, his replacement seems not fit for anything, let alone football.

I've said all along never give up, but sadly even I'm of the opinion that not even Mary Poppins can save us from this one.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

No - its too late and we are too far from safety. I think by mid-March we will be confirmed relegated.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

20% think we can stay up ? - lunatics - if we had a team of fighters who showed some real guts and passion
(Young excepted) maybe , but we havent
Cruisinho
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Cruisinho »

There is no way in hell are we going to go 11 games unbeaten, and win 4 in a row.

And now barrow becomes the must win game, much like Bromley was.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Madgull really living up to his name
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Hartlepool had a crowd of over 6800 yesterday,
If only we had that level of support for TUST then you'd see the antiperspirant shelves empty as well as the crisps in Wellswood.
We can certainly dream.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

A decent chunk of them were Middlesbrough fans. Also helps having Jeff Stelling keeping the club relevant every week!
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

The Great Escape won't have an episode three, I'm afraid, we're on our way to the Conference South and have been for years. No manager can change this inevitability. It's just like Sunderland, flirting with the relegation zone, get a couple of great finishes to seasons and stay up by the skin of their teeth, but there's no way clubs can sustain that, it's just putting off the drop for a year or two. It's scary to see where said example are right now...
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

madgull wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 18:18 I was looking at our run-in for this season, and perhaps I'm a fool, but I saw a glimmer of hope...but maybe it was just the metaphorical oncoming train of relegation. We have a a run of games against teams at the foot of the table, so a succession of six pointers are coming up. Assuming the high-flying teams just destroy us, but that we can beat those around us and draw with mid-table/playoff challengers, we could see the following:

FIXTURE LIST:
A v Macclesfield (1st) 0 points
H v Barrow (20th) 3 points
A v Maidenhead (13th) 1 point
H v Dagenham & R(10th) 1 point
H v Sutton (3rd) 0 points
A v Leyton Orient (19th) 3 points
H v AFC Fylde (9th) 1 point
A v Maidstone (14th) 1 point
A v Solihull Moors (21st) 3 points
H v Guiseley (23rd) 3 points
A v Chester (22nd) 3 points
H v Woking (16th) 3 points
A v Dover (6th) 1 point
H v Halifax (17th) 3 points
A v Hartlepool (18th) 3 points
H v Ebbsfleet (11th) 1 point

Total points gained: 30
Final points: 50...which might keep us up. Maybe.

Although, now I look back, at this stage last season York were only 25 points (five more than we have now!) and managed to come back to 50 points...they were still relegated. I'm not one for endless last chance saloons, but looking at the numbers, if we don't get anything at Macclesfield and then lose at home to fellow strugglers Barrow, I really can't see any way back. Hell, this is the only way I see to survival and it would require us to go 11 games unbeaten, so if I'm being honest I don't know if I see a way back anyway...
You’re predicting we go unbeaten after Macclesfield. You’re more mad than your username. I’ve not voted simply because there is no point. Wake up we are relegated already
Lucy
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

lucy6lucy wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 20:02 You’re predicting we go unbeaten after Macclesfield. You’re more mad than your username. I’ve not voted simply because there is no point. Wake up we are relegated already
'Hell, this is the only way I see to survival and it would require us to go 11 games unbeaten, so if I'm being honest I don't know if I see a way back anyway...'

Obviously no one seems to have read this line, I can't see it happening but it's the only way that I think we COULD survive. :}
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

We could also survive if the players do the following:

1. Do what they are paid to do for once.
2. Ignore everything Owers tells them and trust their own instincts on the pitch.
3. Have some self respect and respect for those paying their wages by giving nothing than 100%.
4. Work their balls off.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

We are .....on other hand we have come back from 6 points from 6 games before or so that leaves 10 games to gain 6 points

However easier said than done. I think we are down
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Madgull I keep thinking the same if and when the survival run is going to start where could possibly pick up points ... I really thought a win yesterday would give us a slim chance, Maybe at last kick start some hope!!! But after yesterday mauling I have now resigned myself to relegation. Just hope with the remaining games we go down with some dignity..
The last couple of interview with Owers he seems he has lost the fight to, and looks resigned to relegation or losing his job.. Maybe bringing in a new manager might give us some bounce. But that seems very doubtful.
Saw his post match interview on the Torquay website... All you can really hear are the police sirens in the surrounding area! I had visions of the Police coming in and arresting Owers mid interview the crime impersonating a Football manager......