Mark loram article

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

Two abiding memories of Lors. The only player I have seen bring a ball down from a goal kick and turn the defender in one move. The other is coming out on to the pitch on New Year's Day at St James's Park pissed.

Oh to have even a pissed Loram now......

Oh there is a third....he's 30 yard screamer in to the top corner against Birmingham in the FA Cup when Bateson gave the blues the Pop Side. Never quite forgave him for that even though we won 3-0..

Jesus.....heady days eh??
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

sgf wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 19:03

Oh there is a third....he's 30 yard screamer in to the top corner against Birmingham in the FA Cup when Bateson gave the blues the Pop Side. Never quite forgave him for that even though we won 3-0..
I work with a Birmingham fan who still says this is the best goal he has ever seen.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Don't remember that one for some reason jerry. But not surprising.
I do remember and I stand to be corrected that towards the end of his short career , well short professional career came back to plainmoor playing for Stockport county. I was at the game. Please someone tell me was i dreaming.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 19:37 Don't remember that one for some reason jerry. But not surprising.
I do remember and I stand to be corrected that towards the end of his short career , well short professional career came back to plainmoor playing for Stockport county. I was at the game. Please someone tell me was i dreaming.
You remember correctly. I know players move on and go elsewhere but this just didnt seem right, surreal almost. Rumours were that Loram was being pushed out, I cant remember definitely but did he put in a transfer request, then he went to Stockport. That game just wasnt right. I was gutted watching him play for a rival because he was certainly my favorite player around that era. Considering how he had been higher at QPR and come home and he certainly could have played at a higher level. Really gutted when he left us for good and just sad a while later when he had an unsuccessful trial with the club and that was it.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

sgf wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 19:03 Two abiding memories of Lors. The only player I have seen bring a ball down from a goal kick and turn the defender in one move. The other is coming out on to the pitch on New Year's Day at St James's Park pissed.

Oh to have even a pissed Loram now......

Jesus.....heady days eh??
I missed that Birmingham game was working my first Saturday job but had it on the radio, got some looks when screaming at the radio when we scored. Weird because Im sure they beat us 3-0 in the league not long before.

Loved the way Loram plucked the ball out the air on the top of his foot and turned. Us lads used to try and copy that when we had our kickabouts, did get it but nowhere near as good as the man himself.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

chunkygull wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 21:05 You remember correctly. I know players move on and go elsewhere but this just didnt seem right, surreal almost. Rumours were that Loram was being pushed out, I cant remember definitely but did he put in a transfer request, then he went to Stockport. That game just wasnt right. I was gutted watching him play for a rival because he was certainly my favorite player around that era. Considering how he had been higher at QPR and come home and he certainly could have played at a higher level. Really gutted when he left us for good and just sad a while later when he had an unsuccessful trial with the club and that was it.

Think I'm right in saying chunky....
Sir Alex Ferguson stopped a earlier move for loram to a northern club as he was worried loram would lead a young Sharpe astray ???

Also I'm not sure why loram went to Stockport but I remember he had very good friends in brixham who were Stockport fans ...possible reason or some connection
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

chunkygull wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 21:05 You remember correctly. I know players move on and go elsewhere but this just didnt seem right, surreal almost. Rumours were that Loram was being pushed out, I cant remember definitely but did he put in a transfer request, then he went to Stockport. That game just wasnt right. I was gutted watching him play for a rival because he was certainly my favorite player around that era. Considering how he had been higher at QPR and come home and he certainly could have played at a higher level. Really gutted when he left us for good and just sad a while later when he had an unsuccessful trial with the club and that was it.

Think I'm right in saying chunky....
Sir Alex Ferguson stopped a earlier move for loram to a northern club as he was worried loram would lead a young Sharpe astray ???

Also I'm not sure why loram went to Stockport but I remember he had very good friends in brixham who were Stockport fans ...possible reason or some connection
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by sgf »

Jerry wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 19:25 I work with a Birmingham fan who still says this is the best goal he has ever seen.
Second Best i ever saw........I was fortunate enough to witness the Trevor Sinclair overhead kick in the flesh. This was just before he started soiling in police cars!!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

sgf wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 21:31 Second Best i ever saw........I was fortunate enough to witness the Trevor Sinclair overhead kick in the flesh. This was just before he started soiling in police cars!!
would that be the one v Barnsley?

I saw that too.... :@
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by sgf »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 21:34 would that be the one v Barnsley?

I saw that too.... :@
Indeed it was! Although, in fairness, it was one of the few games I went to as a neutral observer. Even the tykes were applauding that one!! Think it got goal of the season that year......I'm thinking 1997????
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Loram went on loan to Stockport County (with a view to a permanent signing). However, he was 'returned' before the end of his loan period - for being pissed all the time.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Clearly had issues off the field and I'm sure he had offers of help but sometimes particularly with drink involved it's very hard to get too the root of the problem. Could have gone all the way , I notice in lee sharpes book he pays a wonderful tribute to mark loram