Mark loram article

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Mark loram article

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Last thread I'm starting for a while after the last thread starting diasater

Yes mark loram was this good , my dad's mate managed with at brixham villa as a youngster and have many stories.
What a joy
Attachments
20180116_00004_001.jpg
20180116_00003_001.jpg
20180116_00001_002.jpg
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

It's bottom attachment first ....done it wrong order
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 16 Jan 2018, 22:23 [highlight=yellow]Last thread I'm starting for a while after the last thread starting diasater [/highlight]

Yes mark loram was this good , my dad's mate managed with at brixham villa as a youngster and have many stories.
What a joy
:rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Yes, I agree. Loram is THIRD in my all-time United great player list after Robin Stubbs (1) and John Smith [1967-68] (2). (Apologies to Don Mills fans but he was before my time). However, this article is VERY rose-tinted. I have a number of newspaper cuttings from the time which show Loram in a very different light and, in the end, he was sacked by Bateson. And that, to all intents and purposes, was that.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 16 Jan 2018, 22:23 Last thread I'm starting for a while after the last thread starting diasater

What a joy
Remember that history section you asked for.... :na:
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Oops I was supposed to put it in there can it be moved please Louis
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

wivelgull wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 10:07 Yes, I agree. Loram is THIRD in my all-time United great player list after Robin Stubbs (1) and John Smith [1967-68] (2). (Apologies to Don Mills fans but he was before my time). However, this article is VERY rose-tinted. I have a number of newspaper cuttings from the time which show Loram in a very different light and, in the end, he was sacked by Bateson. And that, to all intents and purposes, was that.
In what way I loved watching him play and my dad used to tell me we are off to plainmoor to watch loram play. I've loads of memories of him and his touch was surperb. I agree with the article 100 per cent. He had his issues with drink that's for sure , saw him in brixham once before a game the evening before eating fish and chips taking w steps forward and one step back.

This this history section I will add to it , I've such a limited life but the idea was to add footage I had my finger tips on footage from the 60s 70s and 80s until after 2 years ( believe it or not ) of contact with the SWFTA they pulled the plug for copyright reasons after it had been cleared to publish and I was paying for it myself

Proper popped my bubble that did !!!!!
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

'Never loved the game enough' eh?

The times I have said that to my eldest son over the past two years and yet I'm probably doing him a did-service just as many did Mark a dis-service. I've learned to step back and leave it to the ones who can deal with that in a proper and constructive way and see where we go from there.

I once had to send Mark off in a youth game at Kingsteignton when, following a booking; he reacted badly to my plea to him to just play his brilliant football and cut out the crap; he responded by drop kicking the ball out of the ground and just followed it as far as the dressing room without a further word being exchanged between us. That was 'Lors' and football is full of mavericks who need personal, somewhat unique and intelligent handling in what is after all a team game.

Sometimes managers see that as counter productive and the player is lost; such as when Brett Williams departed the Plainmoor scene, just like Iffy Allen and James Hurst. But do you know what? These are the talents that can raise a mediocre squad such as we have at Plainmoor now into something akin to being presentable and capable of doing a hell of a lot better than this lot are at present.

Players with mental health issues, autism, OCD, ADS or Tourettes........I've seen and met 'em all; seen so many of them cast adrift or shunned but I've never seen the sides they were removed from become any better for their leaving, and more often than not; a whole lot worse.

Hats of to Stuart Morgan and the late Cyril Knowles for knowing how to deal with Lors and a suggestion that any manager that can't deal with Brett Williams ~ who is a pussycat compared with Mark ~ show some humility and get on the phone to learn how it is done rather than waste their time trying to get jobs they will never get!
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

:goodpost:
merse btpir wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 10:42 'Never loved the game enough' eh?

The times I have said that to my eldest son over the past two years and yet I'm probably doing him a did-service just as many did Mark a dis-service. I've learned to step back and leave it to the ones who can deal with that in a proper and constructive way and see where we go from there.

I once had to send Mark off in a youth game at Kingsteignton when, following a booking; he reacted badly to my plea to him to just play his brilliant football and cut out the crap; he responded by drop kicking the ball out of the ground and just followed it as far as the dressing room without a further word being exchanged between us. That was 'Lors' and football is full of mavericks who need personal, somewhat unique and intelligent handling in what is after all a team game.

Sometimes managers see that as counter productive and the player is lost; such as when Brett Williams departed the Plainmoor scene, just like Iffy Allen and James Hurst. But do you know what? These are the talents that can raise a mediocre squad such as we have at Plainmoor now into something akin to being presentable and capable of doing a hell of a lot better than this lot are at present.

Players with mental health issues, autism, OCD, ADS or Tourettes........I've seen and met 'em all; seen so many of them cast adrift or shunned but I've never seen the sides they were removed from become any better for their leaving, and more often than not; a whole lot worse.

Hats of to Stuart Morgan and the late Cyril Knowles for knowing how to deal with Lors and a suggestion that any manager that can't deal with Brett Williams ~ who is a pussycat compared with Mark ~ show some humility and get on the phone to learn how it is done rather than waste their time trying to get jobs they will never get!
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Part of tufc when rioch was in charge merse , was that during your time ? Must have been very early didn't play until Webb took over I believe
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Our central defence at that time was Rioch and Steve Bould.

As for Loram well mentioning him on the same page as Brett Williams is sacrilege really. Williams isn't in the same stratosphere. I once saw Loram out on a Saturday night at Pontins at Brixham - I have scarcely seen a bloke more shitfaced.

He was quality with a football. One of the best players ever to wear a Torquay shirt. Saw him play at centre forward when he came back on loan from queens park rangers on a Tuesday night in the middle of winter. It was blowing a force 9 he was absolutely unplayable.

Flawed genius alright but what a player he was.
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by torregull »

Still has great affection for the club too,see him and say "hello" at many home games.Was in his element at the recent re-union.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

brucie wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 12:21 Our central defence at that time was Rioch and Steve Bould.

As for Loram well mentioning him on the same page as Brett Williams is sacrilege really. Williams isn't in the same stratosphere. I once saw Loram out on a Saturday night at Pontins at Brixham - I have scarcely seen a bloke more shitfaced.

He was quality with a football. One of the best players ever to wear a Torquay shirt. Saw him play at centre forward when he came back on loan from queens park rangers on a Tuesday night in the middle of winter. It was blowing a force 9 he was absolutely unplayable.

Flawed genius alright but what a player he was.
A very gifted player, probably the most exciting natural talent I have seen in a Torquay player since my first game in 1964. But, as you say, a flawed genius, I don’t think he ever really grasped how high he could have gone. I am pretty sure that I saw him score a wonder goal at Twerton Park in a game against the Gas a good few years ago, but I can’t remember details.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Seen many great games involving loram , I remember a game with Steve Phillips , that little bloke ? Belted a screamer in from edge of box after a nifty one two
.. .. he wasn't all about scoring goals far from it. Natural ability , could create a pass or through ball without seemingly even looking. That natural talent that's gets makes the rest of trying look fools.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

And for the younger fans , when we made it to the Wembley it was a big deal !!! I recall Sunday church services were cancelled , people I knew who didn't follow tufc went to Wembley. The first professional football team to play there. I can remember travelling up by coach with my dad and his friend. I was a Devon youngster and i thought Exeter was a massive city !! So many memories. If you watch this edited video I did years ago mark loram was at the heart of it. Lorams winner against Bristol rovers , lorams trademark corner in 1st leg v wolves , lorams through ball in 2nd leg , lorams winner in 2nd leg , again lorams trademark corner in the final.