Next season in the Conf south

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Next season in the Conf south

Post by lucy6lucy »

It's going to happen, let's not pretend we can escape relegation this season. I had initial higher hopes this season than the past few so was prepared for a mid table finish.

So what happens next season regarding recruitment is a worry. A majority of the teams in the Conf south are in locations near London and the south east. So part time football for these teams has a great pool of players balancing football with a second job without relocating, due to the vast business infrastructure. Needless to say relocating to south Devon on a part time wage requires a good second job, these jobs other than hospitality will be harder to find. So I am struggling to see how we can actually attract decent part time players. There is not enough talent locally to field a side that will compete for promotion. With this in mind, going part time next season and indeed the thoughts of we will win this league because we're Torquay is unlikely. That's the playing aspect we face.

The other issues with the owners priorities and the fat puppet will just strengthen the fact next season could well be a another relegation
Lucy
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

So how do Truro do it then? Even more remote than us, 5th in the league 6 pts off the lead with a game in hand
with a team containing many of our rejects , Ben Gerring, Ed Palmer, Niall Thompson, Billy Palfrey, Jamie
Richards.... Lee Hodges must be a hell of a manager, get him in here !
Lets not get too depressed about next season yet , this one is enough to be going on with.... and its blue monday
or whatever the hell its called, we'll all be phoning the Samaritans soon
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

I agree Conf South it may be but we are not dead yet. If Truro and WSM can survive here so will we. Our gates are and will be much higher and I don't think personally part time for the whole squad is any absolute. Yes I agree ( for once ) with Merse that London based clubs have more options benefactor backing wise than we have but Conf South doesn't show the number of momentum clubs that are evident in the North. I do think a return back to the National League is doable.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

There are roughly 4 million people in the South West (Devon, Cornwall, Somerset & Dorset). We are the only non-league club in the area with attendances over 1000. Weymouth are the best of the rest with an average of 770.

In the South East there are roughly 16 million people and I reckon eleven non-league clubs averaging over 1000.

My (very rough) maths makes this come out as us having about 4 times as large a population of potential players to choose from (per club).

Our isolation should be an advantage at our probable level next season. We are, by a very long way, the largest non-league club in the South West so should be able to have our pick of any footballer in the region who isn't of football league standard.

Of course all of this would only apply if we were run correctly. :}
Last edited by Jerry on 15 Jan 2018, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.
Bomber
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Bomber »

desperado wrote: 15 Jan 2018, 20:03 So how do Truro do it then? Even more remote than us, 5th in the league 6 pts off the lead with a game in hand
with a team containing many of our rejects , Ben Gerring, Ed Palmer, Niall Thompson, Billy Palfrey, Jamie
Richards.... Lee Hodges must be a hell of a manager, get him in here !
Lets not get too depressed about next season yet , this one is enough to be going on with.... and its blue monday
or whatever the hell its called, we'll all be phoning the Samaritans soon
I was actually thinking the other day, perhaps, with hindsight, it would have been a better idea to make Lee Hodges manager when Chris Hargreaves was placed on gardening leave and appoint Aaron Downes as player-coach. But we all know who dreamt the whole thing up though don't we!
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Jerry wrote: 15 Jan 2018, 20:59 There are roughly 4 million people in the South West (Devon, Cornwall, Somerset & Dorset). We are the only non-league club in the area with attendances over 1000. Weymouth are the best of the rest with an average of 770.

In the South East there are roughly 16 million people and I reckon eleven non-league clubs averaging over 1000.

My (very rough) maths makes this come out as us having about 4 times as large a population of potential players to choose from (per club).

Our isolation should be an advantage at our probable level next season. We are, by a very long way, the largest non-league club in the South West so should be able to have our pick of any footballer in the region who isn't of football league standard.

Nope as most of them would be over the age of 70
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 15 Jan 2018, 21:41
Nope as most of them would be over the age of 70
They'd be fitter than many of our current side then. :lol:
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

We will have a team of local players as that's all the cub will be able to afford as the crowds will probably drop to around 700, sorry to say it but if we go down and that looks most probable now we will most likely never come back.
sad but True
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Jerry wrote: 15 Jan 2018, 20:59 There are roughly 4 million people in the South West (Devon, Cornwall, Somerset & Dorset). We are the only non-league club in the area with attendances over 1000. Weymouth are the best of the rest with an average of 770.

Agree with Jerry although i have no doubt whatsoever that the thorough lack of any initiative or desire to succeed by anybody at the football club will turn any advantage into a huge disadvantage in the blink of an eye. They will simply continue doing the same thing, have the same useless puppets uttering how much they've tried blah blah blah when in in actual fact they're all in the trough.

There is absolutely no point in changing anything when personally and individually they are doing alright Jack.

errr, sorry.. Jerry. :lol:

So IMO next season in conf south. Relegation battle, no investment, lower attendances including lower numbers of away fans, much less interest in the club by those who run in than there is now which stands at zero, travelling to most away games on the day, part time football potentially, lack of any national or even local media coverage, the continuation of the winding down of the football club.

Despite all of this however there will STILL be people who buy season tickets, STILL hope for a promotion push, STILL believe the club has a future an STILL hope CO has learned lessons. :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Absolutely unbelievable Jeff!

errr, Jerry.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Yep, you are right Yorkie. I'm one of them that will STILL go. I too am so sad at the lack of investment, poor management etc but the fact is I like my football on a Saturday and as long there is a Torquay United team or phoenix type reincarnation in South Devon I will continue to watch them.

Hereford, AFC Wimbledon,Newport, Chester, Stockport, have all maintained good crowd figures with the first four teams mentioned starting in substantially lower divisions than National League South. What would have happened to those teams if the fans did not STILL hope, believe and attend matches?

Why would anyone bugger off and watch Exeter or Plymouth, in fact, how on earth could anyone even contemplate doing it. I am a Torquay United supporter and I think you will find there is probably a hardcore 1500 who have the same thoughts as me. If it is National South so be it. We should start winning more which will be a welcome change. Of course I would rather avoid relegation but if they don't then so be it.

Far better to be proactive and start planning for the future, wherever that might be. If they follow though on having a reserve team and boost the youth set up with that chap Taylor, then these are positive steps for the future are they not? Undermining the faithful does not help. Lack of resilience will be the downfall of this club not the regular supporter.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Should somebody in authority (!) decide it's to be part-time football next season what would happen to Gowling, Pittman, Clarke, Klukowski (and Keating?) on the second year of their generous two year contracts?
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

Well it won't really concern them as most of them will be getting sick pay!
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

samuel wrote: 16 Jan 2018, 16:13 Yep, you are right Yorkie. I'm one of them that will STILL go. I too am so sad at the lack of investment, poor management etc but the fact is I like my football on a Saturday and as long there is a Torquay United team or phoenix type reincarnation in South Devon I will continue to watch them.

Hereford, AFC Wimbledon,Newport, Chester, Stockport, have all maintained good crowd figures with the first four teams mentioned starting in substantially lower divisions than National League South. What would have happened to those teams if the fans did not STILL hope, believe and attend matches?

Why would anyone bugger off and watch Exeter or Plymouth, in fact, how on earth could anyone even contemplate doing it. I am a Torquay United supporter and I think you will find there is probably a hardcore 1500 who have the same thoughts as me. If it is National South so be it. We should start winning more which will be a welcome change. Of course I would rather avoid relegation but if they don't then so be it.

Far better to be proactive and start planning for the future, wherever that might be. If they follow though on having a reserve team and boost the youth set up with that chap Taylor, then these are positive steps for the future are they not? Undermining the faithful does not help. Lack of resilience will be the downfall of this club not the regular supporter.
Fair enough Samuel. I don't agree but have to respect your position as a long standing supporter and didn't intend to belittle the contribution and dedication of lifelong TUFC fans.

I have apologized a number of days ago via PM to one particular regular poster about my flippancy regarding this subject as it happens but have yet to receive a response which tells me a lot about the person in question. I'm supposed to be the immature one.

Tust , I will respond to you when I get chance thanks. Tonight I reckon thanks.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Andy, make the time to speak to Matt or one of the others, they are in the process of doing some very positive things that I'm sure will impress you. Much better than the owner and previous Board members that we both detest. Definitely worth listening to them and offer your thoughts.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

I will Dave cheers. Matt sent me a PM yesterday and I'm in the process of working out what I want to do ( and say :) ) so I'll get round to it tonight at some point.