My Offer Still Stands

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by Mattpuma »

You misunderstand me. I agree the club cant use the young players as an excuse for our position.
What I meant is that it is not the fault of the young players and they shouldnt be blamed.
Tust member 191
misstheolddays
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by misstheolddays »

Mattpuma

I believe you are mixing up posts submitted by Southampton Gull and myself. Please check back and you will see.
misstheolddays
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by misstheolddays »

Mattpuma

Failure to motivate young players is the responsibility/fault of the manager and his coaching team. Responsibility for this then rests with whoever employed the manager and his coaching team. There are more than enough young players out there who are willing and able to do a job for the club but it is up to the manager to find them, talk to them and convince them to join us, on loan or otherwise. Bearing this in mind it is IMPERATIVE that the club has a manager in place who has the contacts necessary to achieve this. I have already posted on here that Kevin Millard sent emails to the club offering 2 talented young players on loan, to which no reply was ever received back. I would suggest that, if the current manager does not have any contacts capable of producing the young players necessary for our survival, and I certainly haven't seen any evidence that he has, then he should never have been employed in the first place. And the responsibility for that rests firmly with Mr Harrop.
Last edited by misstheolddays on 13 Jan 2018, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Southampton Gull wrote: 13 Jan 2018, 20:47 Harrop is only interested in multipack crisps from the local convenience store in Wellswood. He is out of his depth and so is the bloody manager he appointed. Today is the first time I've understood why Exeter fans call our ground Plainmorgue. I went into Boots at about 2pm, about 50 people in there all looking miserable. I went into the ground at about 2:50pm and the ground was practically empty. The fans did their best and immaculately and respectfully observed the minutes silence for Cedric Munslow but unfortunately the management couldn't inspire their players to produce a performance to honour our sadly departed Cedric. At the end of the day the responsibility is Harrops. He sacked the previous manager, he employed the current one..............eventually, and he is presiding over the worst football I've ever seen our club play. We can't win ugly, hell we can't even draw ugly and can anyone honestly say they have any confidence in this lot to win another game this season? McGinty was woeful today, none of the reported interested clubs will be back for another viewing on the back of that performance.
The previous manager should have been sacked long before he was and you blame Harrop why, the only mistake he's made was delaying any appointment. We've been in a downhill battle because we've had no football people running the club for a few years and yes I think we won't have a club unless somebody comes in and buys it but that is not going to happen. How can Harrop enjoy this he's probably doing his best and it's gone pear shaped, the foundation was laid by the previous manager. The mistake that was made the new manager Owers did not know the players and wasted time making the same mistakes Nico did.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Matt, I have no wish to fall out with you, I respect your opinion but we differ on what can be termed awful. Yes there were moments where we looked promising BUT as is happening week in week out we are a team full of mistakes. Cerain players have potential but it isn't being realised under the stewardship of Owers and that is his job.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

arcadia wrote: 13 Jan 2018, 22:05 The previous manager should have been sacked long before he was and you blame Harrop why, the only mistake he's made was delaying any appointment. We've been in a downhill battle because we've had no football people running the club for a few years and yes I think we won't have a club unless somebody comes in and buys it but that is not going to happen. How can Harrop enjoy this he's probably doing his best and it's gone pear shaped, the foundation was laid by the previous manager. The mistake that was made the new manager Owers did not know the players and wasted time making the same mistakes Nico did.
Er because he's the General Manager.............

If you think Nicholson should have been sacked earlier then why aren't you blaming Harrop for that too? He allowed him to rebuild the squad in the summer, most thought the squad to be a huge improvement so why sack him 4 games in with no replacement lined up? Surely even you can see this was a huge mistake? Harrop has proven to be the bumbling idiot I predicted he'd be. He doesn't have a clue how to run this football club and won't as long as he's got a hole in his arse.
Dave

misstheolddays
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by misstheolddays »

arcadia
A reflection on what I have said several times on here. KN was a failure as a manager and this played a large part in the downward spiral suffered on the field. After 3 years he was still making basic managerial errors, though he did admit this at the end of last season. Managers today do not have the luxury of learning the ropes over an extended period of time in the lower leagues, as they either make it pretty soon or they are gone. This may seem harsh, but a club simply cannot afford to have a rookie manager at the helm struggling to find their feet, otherwise the team will suffer and relegation beckons, along with the financial losses that generates. Cue Torquay United. They opted to keep KN and let him learn his trade as manager, and the end product is that it was a total failure on all sides, but particularly from Torquay United's perspective. The short term and long term effect of this may be more than the club can withstand. Hmmmmm......that could suit the long term plans of a certain developer.........
misstheolddays
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by misstheolddays »

Responsibility for all of this, the poor performances, the failure to replace KN until it was way too late, the decision to wait and wait and then eventually employ the current managerial team, which is again a failure, all rests with one person...the General Manager. He accepted that responsibility the day he took the job.

The general malady, the awful atmosphere about the place, the total lack of any information about the future of the club......again all rests with the General Manager. If he is not happy with what the Owner is doing, or rather not doing, then he has the right to resign with some crediibility. But he is the cog between the owner and the rest of the club, so he must bear the responsibility, like it or not.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

misstheolddays wrote: 13 Jan 2018, 22:18 KN was a failure as a manager and this played a large part in the downward spiral suffered on the field. After 3 years he was still making basic managerial errors, though he did admit this at the end of last season. Managers today do not have the luxury of learning the ropes over an extended period of time in the lower leagues, as they either make it pretty soon or they are gone. This may seem harsh, but a club simply cannot afford to have a rookie manager at the helm struggling to find their feet, otherwise the team will suffer and relegation beckons, along with the financial losses that generates. Cue Torquay United. They opted to keep KN and let him learn his trade as manager, and the end product is that it was a total failure on all sides, but particularly from Torquay United's perspective.
That's it in a nutshell to which you could ask why (if he was not exactly as you point out?) has he not landed another management job?

I'll tell you why; because he is unemployable in that role and he won't get another manager's job.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

misstheolddays

100% agree with every single post you have put up tonight. Absolutely bang on. It's rare for me to find someone on here who thinks in a similar vein.

If I were you i'd get checked to see if you are on the spectrum. :-/

If so, it's not all bad. :)
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

His remit was to keep us in the National League so to that end he was a success.

Owers had the same remit.......................
Dave

misstheolddays
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by misstheolddays »

Southampton Gull

But surely that was not his total job description? For three years? If so it shows an alarming lack of any footballing know how on both KN's part and the club's. As for success.........well I certainly would not call that as any type of success!
misstheolddays
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by misstheolddays »

Yorkieandy

I just say it how it is as I see it. I have a background in professional sport and find it so sad that the club has simply gone down and down in a spiral without any attempt to address the issues that have caused this.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

misstheolddays wrote: 13 Jan 2018, 23:24 Southampton Gull

But surely that was not his total job description? For three years? If so it shows an alarming lack of any footballing know how on both KN's part and the club's. As for success.........well I certainly would not call that as any type of success!
No, it was his task for 2 seasons. I'm sure our ex CEO would verify that as factual. They knew, given the playing budget, that it was going to be extremely difficult to maintain our status as it was at the time so the job was to keep us up, simple as that.
Dave

misstheolddays
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by misstheolddays »

merse btpir wrote: 13 Jan 2018, 23:06 That's it in a nutshell to which you could ask why (if he was not exactly as you point out?) has he not landed another management job?

I'll tell you why; because he is unemployable in that role and he won't get another manager's job.
Sadly, if this were 30 years ago, KN would have been given ample time to learn his trade as a manager, probably even at Torquay United, but in today's world, football is no longer a sport it is 100% a business and such opportunities do not exist anymore as the financial losses incurred prevent that happening. Coupled with the fact that most of the club chairmen today are purely businessmen, with no footballing background or interest, it is no wonder that the likes of KN may struggle to find employment as a manager. There are, however, several alternatives such as going into coaching and forgetting about the managerial aspect of the game or even working overseas. There are many former top footballers in the UK who have tried their hand at management and have failed but have then gone on to focus on coaching only and have been successes. Former Liverpool midfielder Sammy Lee, whom I have known for many years, comes immediately to mind. Excellent footballer. Poor manager. Highly respected coach. In that order. So, in the cold light of day, KN was a good player for Torquay, but a poor manager - mainly because he was only just learning his trade and a struggling team at a club in disarray is far from the ideal scenario in which to learn the ropes! Perhaps if he went down into the junior non-leagues and learnt coaching he could make a career out of it. If successful at a junior level then people do sit up and take notice. But it is a long haul and requires a lot of commitment. But it can be done. But if I were him, I would look at coaching and forget about managing a club. Two totally different roles.