My Offer Still Stands

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Southampton Gull wrote: 13 Jan 2018, 23:10 His remit was to keep us in the National League so to that end he was a success.

Owers had the same remit.......................
Agree!

No - hang on - Ower's remit was to gain us promtion back to the football league - he 'ticked all the boxes' - or so we were told.
Last edited by MellowYellow on 13 Jan 2018, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

merse btpir wrote: 13 Jan 2018, 23:06 That's it in a nutshell to which you could ask why (if he was not exactly as you point out?) has he not landed another management job?

I'll tell you why; because he is unemployable in that role and he won't get another manager's job.
:goodpost:
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
misstheolddays
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by misstheolddays »

Southampton Gull

In that case then, the people who appointed KN were unbelievably stupid, hoping that a rookie with no experience and no funds to work with could achieve that, and sadly KN stepped into a minefield from which the odds were so heavily stacked against him succeeding that he was simply lining himself up to be shot down and castigated for that failure, and it is a failure, whichever way we look at it, as he made very basic mistakes unbecoming of a football manager. His career may well have stalled permanently as a result of that as well. There are plenty of good and very experienced managers out there looking for a managing position and KN will be right at the back of the queue.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

misstheolddays wrote: 13 Jan 2018, 23:47 Southampton Gull

There are plenty of good and very experienced managers out there looking for a managing position and KN will be right at the back of the queue.
Possibly! -just in front of Gary Ower's
misstheolddays
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by misstheolddays »

In my experience, if you are in a certain League, and you wish to get back up to the level above, where you were before, you employ a manager FROM the level you wish to get back to.......NOT one from the League BELOW that which you are currently in.

If you do this, you stand the best chance of getting the manager to take you into the level he has just come from.............I rest my case!

We are heading down there with Mr Owers at the helm.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

misstheolddays wrote: 13 Jan 2018, 23:47 Southampton Gull

In that case then, the people who appointed KN were unbelievably stupid, hoping that a rookie with no experience and no funds to work with could achieve that, and sadly KN stepped into a minefield from which the odds were so heavily stacked against him succeeding that he was simply lining himself up to be shot down and castigated for that failure, and it is a failure, whichever way we look at it, as he made very basic mistakes unbecoming of a football manager. His career may well have stalled permanently as a result of that as well. There are plenty of good and very experienced managers out there looking for a managing position and KN will be right at the back of the queue.
Val Balson demanded he be given the job and to be fair, the task he was set he accomplished so were they really stupid? Depends how you look at it. In terms of being successful as a club then obviously not. In terms of being a professional club run on a shoestring budget (for a number of reasons) then yes Nicholson was successful in retaining our National League status.

Do you really think he didn't know it was a tough ask? He knew from day one but he loves the area, loves the club and the fans so for him in particular it was a dream job. It became a nightmare for many reasons, not least having a man come in and take over the club who continually undermined him and even demanded he contact me to stop me belittling him(Harrop). No argument from me on the damage it's done to his career but he remains ambitious to have another crack at management.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

misstheolddays wrote: 13 Jan 2018, 23:54 In my experience, if you are in a certain League, and you wish to get back up to the level above, where you were before, you employ a manager FROM the level you wish to get back to.......NOT one from the League BELOW that which you are currently in.

If you do this, you stand the best chance of getting the manager to take you into the level he has just come from.............I rest my case!

Agree totally. Owers wasn't doing very well at Bath and yet somehow he cost us £10k to prise away. You couldn't make this shit up.
Dave

misstheolddays
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by misstheolddays »

Southampton Gull

Sadly, it is so difficult when a player who has spent most of his time at a club is offered the position of managing that same club, either as player-manager or simply manager. Even on reflection after it has gone badly wrong, and in most cases it does go badly wrong, most will still say they have no regrets. Unfortunately, the person may find his career comes to a juddering halt as a manager directly as a result of accepting that position, but more importantly it can set a club back an enormous amount during the time that player is trying to manage the team. That is the position TUFC and KN find themselves in now. I am sure if KN had sought the advice of someone with a lot of experience in the game he may well have looked differently at his position, and his career could have been developing elsewhere plus TUFC may have been able to appoint an EXPERIENCED manager which is what they really needed to get them out of that position.

As I have said before, many players do make that mistake of believing they can accomplish something which they clearly are going to struggle with, but should the person taking the blame and responsibility not be the person who employed the player to become a manager in the first place? I firmly believe it is the club/Mr Harrop who should bear the responsibility.

I also believe that if KN was asked in hindsight if he were offered the job again, turning the clock back, would he accept it, knowing what he does now.......then he would still accept the position. That is what happens.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

misstheolddays wrote: 13 Jan 2018, 23:27 Yorkieandy

I just say it how it is as I see it. I have a background in professional sport and find it so sad that the club has simply gone down and down in a spiral without any attempt to address the issues that have caused this.
Bang on.

As many will know, i stopped going to Torquay games 5 years ago because i had identified even before that, issues. Not just inside my head but issues within the football club that hadn't been addressed and that nobody had any intention of addressing. This worried me greatly and i predicted to some of the fans i used to attend games with that i couldn't actually see the club existing in 10 years time. Why bother anymore. The downward spiral was as easy to predict as Dele Alli falling over under a challenge.

Now i am not mystic but i am autistic (groove is in the heaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart :lol: ) and if it's good enough for Dustin Hoffman then it's good enough for me.

The problem the club have had is that for years they have had nobody who knows how to run the football side of things profitably and professionally. They also have had nobody who knows how to run the non football side of things profitably and professionally. Two pretty big markers that will indicate how that business will perform overall. In fact after Ling went it all was bascially just run like a circus by a succession of owners / managers and not one warning sign was identified nor addressed.

Behind the scenes those responsible just faffed about like pansies and before you know it the club are heading towards the bottom on the NL, have no cash, no owners and no direction.

Up pops vultures GI to the penny sale and bang, the club steps into the quicksand and now IMO there isn't a viable exit strategy. I fear that in the future, if the time miraculously arrives when GI pull out or want to sell, the club will already be in the lower regional leagues anyway and worth sod all to anybody.

If GI can't win then they'll make sure nobody else can either.
Last edited by Yorkieandy on 14 Jan 2018, 00:55, edited 1 time in total.
misstheolddays
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by misstheolddays »

Very sad but also pretty true as well. If I had enough money I would buy the club and I already have a manager in mind, a scouting system ready-made in place which I am sure would be made available, and a business manager to run the financial side of things.

Sadly I don't have the funds to take it any further than outline plans in my head.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

misstheolddays wrote: 13 Jan 2018, 23:54 In my experience, if you are in a certain League, and you wish to get back up to the level above, where you were before, you employ a manager FROM the level you wish to get back to.......NOT one from the League BELOW that which you are currently in.

Again, spot on.

If you are going to take the lowly option and for example employ a nobody like Owers then at least be prepared to pull the trigger when it soon becomes apparent that he's clueless and putting the club into a worse position than whence he started. I accept that there are talented managers out there in non league who just need the chance to step up but it's worth remembering that most managers who get this opportunity will fail.

For every Danny Cowley there is a Gary Owers and i'm fine with that. I want these managers to get opportunities but i also want them accountable when it soon becomes apparent that they aren't up to it. Accountable meaning win the next 3 or you're gone sunshine.

Yet another 'stick to the plan' scenario by GI.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Reading last night's comments this morning; it seems at last the realisation is growing that past benevolence; past managerial appointments and the present are as I have been presenting it since I returned to this forum.

It's too late now and the club is going down (again!)

It's too late now and those who have rounded on me and moaned about my posting manner will pretty soon have nothing to support by way of a football club that in any way resembles a professional outfit in a reasonably professional level of football.

The fat lady is singing and the fat controller is in his general manager's office having delivered the sacrificial lab to his brother-in-law. The failed former manager was in the crowd yesterday listening to some singing his name and the failing current manager doesn't appear to have a clue as how to win a football match.

If either Geoff Harrop, Kevin Nicholson or Val Balson who was so gushingly in thrall to him and any of her fellow board members who made such an arse of his appointment draw any comfort from that then bigger fool them. Unfortunately for us they were the custodians of our football club when it went into it's terminal tailspin ~ a plane crash waiting to happen.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Nicholson as I have said many times before could put a side together but once it was on the pitch could not see when it was going wrong. Yes it should be the General Managers job to get a coach alongside him who knew the game as Nicholson was still learning but some people don't LEARN!
I know there seems to be a few people who don't like him but Colin Lee seemed to keep the football side up together and would be there if the manager had problems that is gone now it's a shame Nicholson did not have him there. Basic errors have been made and if you listened to big Sam last night he's got a similar problem but the difference is he knows the game and has the money.
Owers and Kuhl know the game but can't get the players they want which is part of a managers job but it's hard during a season.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

For the last time, Colin Lee was not good for the club. He was good for himself first and sod the rest of us. Yes he was knowledgeable football man but he also took the club for a lot of money. Stop dreaming about Colin Lee, he was a nightmare.
Dave

westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Didn't he take 100000 grand odd redundancy. I understand people employment conditions and would any of us do the same if possible ?? Maybe or maybe not but however who sanctioned that must have been bonkers or indeed agreed to the terms