Ambition or Submission?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

stephen breed wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 13:26 hi guys thanks for the kind words here I have tried not to comment despite being asked from various sources I e paper and reporters ect regarding not only my situation but what is happening at the club and have chosen to keep my own council and completely keep my distance from the club including not watching any matches. That has been very tough after spending a large majority if my life going up and down that motorway and supporting the boys home and away for more years than I can remember. I am extremely saddened by what's happening to this once great club and applaud each and everyone of you that are going through this with the club that means so much to us all. What I did think to offer is to perhaps do a question and answer session on the forum where I will answer to the best of my ability question about my time as c e o and perhaps my thoughts going forward which maybe we can all get behind to aid the future of the club. if this is perhaps some forum members would want then perhaps I can ask Southampton Dave to do a separate thread and people can post there questions there if not then I totally understand.. I will happily do this on either this site or the penn inn forum or both.. Stephen breed
I'm all in favour of this :)
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

stephen breed wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 13:26 hi guys thanks for the kind words here I have tried not to comment despite being asked from various sources I e paper and reporters ect regarding not only my situation but what is happening at the club and have chosen to keep my own council and completely keep my distance from the club including not watching any matches. That has been very tough after spending a large majority if my life going up and down that motorway and supporting the boys home and away for more years than I can remember. I am extremely saddened by what's happening to this once great club and applaud each and everyone of you that are going through this with the club that means so much to us all. What I did think to offer is to perhaps do a question and answer session on the forum where I will answer to the best of my ability question about my time as c e o and perhaps my thoughts going forward which maybe we can all get behind to aid the future of the club. if this is perhaps some forum members would want then perhaps I can ask Southampton Dave to do a separate thread and people can post there questions there if not then I totally understand.. I will happily do this on either this site or the penn inn forum or both.. Stephen breed
Thank you for responding Steve, I don't blame you at all for wanting to keep a distance considering how you were treated and the flak you got as the 'face' of the board (I think many of us were guilty of it via frustration) even though you were not responsible for the large majority of the decisions that the fans hold against the Phillips board. In all honesty you've already given more to the club than 95% of us who post on this board and are quite worthy of having your time to yourself. I mentioned your name as an example of the need to get TUST publicity but can fully understand if you're not able to plunge into the murky morass of Torquay United politics once more.

I would be all in favour of such a Q&A style thread but I would be very careful that you don't say anything that gets you in any trouble.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Steve, I count you as a close friend and I can do that straight away. Hope you're well.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Get the thread started SG, this will bring the trolls out :lol:
Lucy
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Teigngull wrote: 16 Jan 2018, 16:53 I have sent emails to the 3 Torbay councillors within the St Marychurch ward , Neil Bent , Anne Brooks & Ray Hill , asking for their views on the current situation at TUFC.
I have also outlined the benefits for the town of the FREE advertising the club brings through the 3 main media platforms (TV , Internet , written press ) etc & how this is diminishing the further down the football pyramid the club falls.
I will update when (or if ) I receive any replies.

Finally , after sending an email to Gordon Oliver asking him to give the 3 sitting councillors in St Marychurch a friendly nudge in the direction of at least acknowledging my email seeing as I had taken the time to ask a question that deserves a reply.
I received this today.......

Re: acknowledgement of email

Dear Mr R******

Thank you for your email informing me of this, I am sure that they will get back to you.

Kind regards

Gordon Oliver

Elected Mayor of Torbay

==================================================================================

And lo & behold , this popped up in my inbox a few hours later .......

Subject:- Torquay United.

Dear Mr R******

Many thanks for your email and I'm really sorry that I have not replied earlier and that you needed to ask the Mayor to intervene to get a response.

Whilst I am not a follower of football, I have always supported Torquay United and I believe that the value of the "brand" should never be underestimated.

The future of the club, as you know, is very much in the hands of the current owners and, in my opinion, they need to make it clear how they intend to put it on a sustainable financial footing.

Again in my opinion, I don't believe that there is any appetite amongst my councillor colleagues across the Bay to dispose of the grounds, so it is up to the owners to come up with a solution.

Just to reiterate, the club will always have my support and I look forward to a positive outcome as soon as possible.

Best wishes

Neil

Cllr Neil Bent,
St Marychurch ward

===================================================================================
I think this reply just shows he hasn't got a freakin clue what's going on at Plainmoor, even though he admits he's not a ' follower of football'.
Surely it's part of his remit as a councillor to know what's happening within his ward, yes or no ?
Let's wait & see if the other two have done their homework !
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Teigngull wrote: 22 Jan 2018, 22:15
Finally , after sending an email to Gordon Oliver asking him to give the 3 sitting councillors in St Marychurch a friendly nudge in the direction of at least acknowledging my email seeing as I had taken the time to ask a question that deserves a reply.
I received this today.......

Re: acknowledgement of email

Dear Mr R******

Thank you for your email informing me of this, I am sure that they will get back to you.

Kind regards

Gordon Oliver

Elected Mayor of Torbay

==================================================================================

And lo & behold , this popped up in my inbox a few hours later .......

Subject:- Torquay United.

Dear Mr R******

Many thanks for your email and I'm really sorry that I have not replied earlier and that you needed to ask the Mayor to intervene to get a response.

Whilst I am not a follower of football, I have always supported Torquay United and I believe that the value of the "brand" should never be underestimated.

The future of the club, as you know, is very much in the hands of the current owners and, in my opinion, they need to make it clear how they intend to put it on a sustainable financial footing.

Again in my opinion, I don't believe that there is any appetite amongst my councillor colleagues across the Bay to dispose of the grounds, so it is up to the owners to come up with a solution.

Just to reiterate, the club will always have my support and I look forward to a positive outcome as soon as possible.

Best wishes

Neil

Cllr Neil Bent,
St Marychurch ward

===================================================================================
I think this reply just shows he hasn't got a freakin clue what's going on at Plainmoor, even though he admits he's not a ' follower of football'.
Surely it's part of his remit as a councillor to know what's happening within his ward, yes or no ?
Let's wait & see if the other two have done their homework !
Excellent . Well played
Lucy
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

They're Torbay local councillors, if you think they are a) well qualified and b) care about anything beyond their particular interests, you'll be sorely disappointed. Yes there are some good ones amongst the whole but they're few and far between. This is why we, the fans, will need to constantly keep on their backs, asking them questions, making them get interested and look into greater detail.

Cllr Bent does deserve at least some credit for actually reply though. Maybe this will be the start of him looking deeper into the issue.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

SenorDingDong wrote: 22 Jan 2018, 22:23 They're Torbay local councillors, if you think they are a) well qualified and b) care about anything beyond their particular interests, you'll be sorely disappointed. Yes there are some good ones amongst the whole but they're few and far between. This is why we, the fans, will need to constantly keep on their backs, asking them questions, making them get interested and look into greater detail.

Cllr Bent does deserve at least some credit for actually reply though. Maybe this will be the start of him looking deeper into the issue.
Cllr Bent needed a kick up the ass from the Mayor to even BOTHER to reply.
He was also voted in to his position on the proviso he serves ALL OF HIS CONSTITUENTS regardless of what the subject matter is or whether or not it TAKES HIS FANCY.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Teigngull wrote: 22 Jan 2018, 22:31 Cllr Bent needed a kick up the ass from the Mayor to even BOTHER to reply.
He was also voted in to his position on the proviso he serves ALL OF HIS CONSTITUENTS regardless of what the subject matter is or whether or not it TAKES HIS FANCY.
Spot on teigngull.

It's his duty to reply and his duty to show an interest. These are the bare minimum we should expect. Giving someone credit for simply replying to an email is laughable. Regardless of whether he's a councillor or not it's basic common courtesy.

As for the content of the email itself it does appear that the council are so bloody clueless that it beggars belief and IMO I can safely assume that CO will at some point easily get the freehold of Plainmoor with this lot in charge.

That's it for me. The club has gone and all the fans have been stitched up.

Lastly, if we are to give credit to the particular councillor for replying then lets give credit to teigngull for making the effort to probe and ask questions. Top marks sir.

CO knows exactly what he's doing and the council haven't a **** clue what they're doing. A recipe for disaster.
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Woods

Post by Soupdragon »

Yorkieandy wrote: 23 Jan 2018, 08:00 ... with this lot in charge.
Well, a reply was received from Cllr Bent within a week. You should count yourself lucky, really. Standing orders to councillors are that they should put all enquiries through a department known as 'Information Compliance' at the council. That department then contacts whoever is required within the council and/or its service providers etc etc and then gets back to the councillor within 28 days. Only then may the councillor get back to the constituent/resident with the reply. Extremely useful if you're a mother on a Friday afternoon whose payments have gone awol and who has young children to feed over the weekend. Not. It's just as well that often councillors take no notice of this stupid procedure, or nothing at all would get done for residents.

It's all part of making things democratically deficient and putting the officers firmly in control. Not your elected members. It's long been my view that they can debate what they like in full council; it often has no effect on what happens in the real world.

In order to prevent the sale of the freehold of Plainmoor, it's mostly the officers you are going to have to attempt to influence. And mostly the officers at the Torbay Development Agency. As I've said before, I believe the guy to contact there on this project is Liam Montgomery. And (a conflict of interest if ever I saw one, but perhaps useful for this one thing!) the TDA chief executive is also the council's chief executive, Steve Parrock.