TUST Updates

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Am i right in saying that the club have offered to contribute towards the outstanding debt for the disabled roof but they 'don't have the budget for it yet' so therefore as it stands it is now left to Sam and the generous help from the TUST and donators?

So £1800 is outstanding after Sam's excellent efforts in even getting the thing built. The raffle last night raised £322 towards it, the ECFC Trust donated £100 towards it and Chris Fleet is very kindly auctioning his shirt to contribute and the word from the club is that they as yet 'don't have the budget' so are taking a back seat?

Is this correct or do i have the wrong end of the stick and have read it incorrectly?
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

SBG wrote: 01 Feb 2018, 16:40 All/Anybody

I know that it was mentioned that there was a lack of IT skills which I don't have.

However there are a lot of exiles like me - I live 200 miles away - who would have attended if it wasn't for the distance.

A suggestion going forward - in this modern age of technology, internet, social media etc - would surely be to have some sort of video conferencing facility whereby exiles could "attend" the meeting via the internet with video and commentary. I have attended HMRC webinars - online training sessions where you can even post a question for someone to collect at the sharp end.

All very techy to me but I bet some 14 year old student from the local college could set something up in nano seconds for the price of a lemonade shandy and a sherbert dip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Skype conversation + high quality webcam in a strategic location. Bish bash bosh.

Hell Owers apparently talks to Osborne via Skype, so if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for us.
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Woods

Post by Soupdragon »

From the report: "TUST are meeting with Kevin Foster and a team of councillors in the next two weeks to discuss matters further."

Who are these councillors? As MP, Kevin Foster has no decision-making role in this. Yes, he could influence, but bear in mind the schisms in the local Tory party, and also bear in mind that there are local elections barely more than a year away. The Lib Dems will already be working hard to overturn the local Tories. I wouldn't like to bet on the outcome, especially as the mayoral system ends then, too.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

I have been informed that one of the attractions that drew GI to Torquay was the fact there was a mayoral system. There were other options available to them. The thinking being that if they win the mayor over it's job done. Whether this is right or not I don't know, perhaps Soupdragon can elucidate. The statement from GI in July 2017 saying TUAFC would be in a new stadium by 2020 cannot happen because of planning unless they are well advanced with talks involving planners and the mayor ( a freedom of information request can be made to reveal any pre-application enquiries made by GI and the Willows and the council have to respond). If that is not the case then there are 3 alternatives left 1- GI are unfamiliar with the planning process: 2 they are not telling the truth and know there is no chance being in a new stadium by 2020- or 3 - they are looking at the team relocating.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by samuel »

Yorkieandy. That is correct, Chris Rich sent me an email saying he would get back to me soon and they were working on the budget. Hopefully they will come back with something even if it is just a tenner out of their own pocket as this is a matter which affects the vulnerable supporters of the club they are involved in and own. £1400 to find now but it will be done. The Exeter Trust were superb, not only in their generosity but input. True fans. Don't forget, it's numbers which impress the decision makers. For those who haven't, please join the TUST.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by samuel »

I've sent off a Freedom of Information request to Torbay Council about The Willows just in case.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

samuel wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 11:41 Yorkieandy. That is correct, Chris Rich sent me an email saying he would get back to me soon and they were working on the budget. Hopefully they will come back with something even if it is just a tenner out of their own pocket as this is a matter which affects the vulnerable supporters of the club they are involved in and own. £1400 to find now but it will be done. The Exeter Trust were superb, not only in their generosity but input. True fans. Don't forget, it's numbers which impress the decision makers. For those who haven't, please join the TUST.
Thanks Samuel.

I just find it unacceptable that they are delaying paying for the work done as promised when there are even people from another football club (Exeter City) chipping in to help out. What are we talking here? A grand? Maybe less? Surely CO has this money spare now to hand over or is it another empty promise?

Delay and delay until people finally give up asking and end up paying for it themselves?

Amazing credit to Sam by the way and all those that donated directy to him AND at the TUST meeting the other night. Makes me feel sick to my stomach sometimes the way in which fans with a wide spectrum of disabilities are treated by and discriminated against by football clubs at ALL levels. Great strides have been made for sure but it's still poor.
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

And there's the nub the owner won't stump up to him a small amount for disabled facilities so the envisaged stadium like the Bernabeu looks a while off yet.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

samuel wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 11:41Don't forget, it's numbers which impress the decision makers. For those who haven't, please join the TUST.
:goodpost:
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Soupdragon »

samuel wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 11:32 I have been informed that one of the attractions that drew GI to Torquay was the fact there was a mayoral system. There were other options available to them. The thinking being that if they win the mayor over it's job done. Whether this is right or not I don't know, perhaps Soupdragon can elucidate. The statement from GI in July 2017 saying TUAFC would be in a new stadium by 2020 cannot happen because of planning unless they are well advanced with talks involving planners and the mayor ( a freedom of information request can be made to reveal any pre-application enquiries made by GI and the Willows and the council have to respond). If that is not the case then there are 3 alternatives left 1- GI are unfamiliar with the planning process: 2 they are not telling the truth and know there is no chance being in a new stadium by 2020- or 3 - they are looking at the team relocating.
That's interesting, Sam. If it's the case, they'd better get a shift on as he's only here until May 2019. Then we revert to a 'leader of the council' system ... and I'll be happy to take bets on that 'honour' being held by at least oh, say three different people in the first six months of the new council. The difference is that the mayor - being directly elected - couldn't be got rid of by in-fighting councillors.

And while I'm here, Sam, I understand you're after blankets for people in the disabled stand. I'm no brilliant knitter, but if people want to get their mums, grannies and aunties* knitting blue and yellow squares, I'll put myself up for knitting a few squares, and for sewing them together to make lap/leg blankets.

Any kind of wool, 8"/20cm square, yellow or blue (or yellow and blue). Julien's ok for having them delivered to him at Torquay Town Hall.

*or knit them yourselves. I'm not sexist.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by samuel »

That is a superb idea Soupdragon and I will think about this. Someone will need to be on hand to dish them out on matchdays so a bit of a process has to be formulated. What I am hoping is that in the future there will be a dedicated person who looks after the interest of the disabled supporters on matchdays, getting tea, handing out the blankets, putting them away afterwards etc. Is there more to this, being an intellectual bankrupt as far as knitting is concerned. For instance, should there not be a standardised type of stitch and thickness so that when they are all put together they knit in well. And what about standardised colours. This is a really kind gesture . Let me make a few enquiries to see how a person could have access to them before and after the match and then we could put out an appeal for knitted squares of a certain standard. Thank you Soupdragon.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Soupdragon wrote: 05 Feb 2018, 20:53 That's interesting, Sam. If it's the case, they'd better get a shift on as he's only here until May 2019. Then we revert to a 'leader of the council' system ... and I'll be happy to take bets on that 'honour' being held by at least oh, say three different people in the first six months of the new council. The difference is that the mayor - being directly elected - couldn't be got rid of by in-fighting councillors.

And while I'm here, Sam, I understand you're after blankets for people in the disabled stand. I'm no brilliant knitter, but if people want to get their mums, grannies and aunties* knitting blue and yellow squares, I'll put myself up for knitting a few squares, and for sewing them together to make lap/leg blankets.

Any kind of wool, 8"/20cm square, yellow or blue (or yellow and blue). Julien's ok for having them delivered to him at Torquay Town Hall.

*or knit them yourselves. I'm not sexist.
:bow: :bow: :bow: :scarf:

Amazing gesture Soupdragon and a superb idea. :-D
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Soupdragon »

samuel wrote: 06 Feb 2018, 11:13 That is a superb idea Soupdragon and I will think about this. Someone will need to be on hand to dish them out on matchdays so a bit of a process has to be formulated. What I am hoping is that in the future there will be a dedicated person who looks after the interest of the disabled supporters on matchdays, getting tea, handing out the blankets, putting them away afterwards etc. Is there more to this, being an intellectual bankrupt as far as knitting is concerned. For instance, should there not be a standardised type of stitch and thickness so that when they are all put together they knit in well. And what about standardised colours. This is a really kind gesture . Let me make a few enquiries to see how a person could have access to them before and after the match and then we could put out an appeal for knitted squares of a certain standard. Thank you Soupdragon.
Hi Sam, no intellectual bankruptcy exists so far as knitting is concerned! If I can do it, probably any fool could! That's why it's 8"/20cm square: some people knit tightly; others less so. So if they knit to a size rather than to a number of stitches, then all's ok so far as I can see. I think if people aim for anything blue and/or anything yellow (the idea being, too, to use up all those little bits that aunties and grannies might have lying about) then I'll try and create something vaguely pleasing to look at when sewing them together.

I also think it might be an idea to include a single square somewhere that's printed to say that this is a Trust initiative:

'Knitted by fans for fans for use on TUFC matchdays. Presented by the TUFC Supporters Trust'

or somesuch. I might even know a lovely t-shirt printer who might print up some of these onto left-over bits of yellow or blue jersey ...
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

There is a working group of 5-6 people who are working with the TUST committee to increase an online and social media presence - an area that has been criticised in the past.

Part of this is a new Facebook page, and you can like, follow and share this at the below link:

https://www.facebook.com/TorquayUnitedSupportersTrust

Other pages of interest are the Twitter page (@TUSTCOYY) https://x.com/TUSTCOYY and main website: https://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk

All these pages will see far greater activity, over what will be a vital time both on and off the pitch.

You can engage with TUST via all these platforms as well as [email protected]
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Glad they've taken my advice and got you helping mate. Perfect fit for TUST.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com