TUST Updates

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Southampton Gull wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 16:52 I wear my heart on my sleeve and maybe I have overreacted, but I find it baffling that the Chairman of TUST can't see the importance of engaging with fans on a match day. Unfortunately I seem to have upset others on the TUST which wasn't my intention at all.

I've made no secret of my dislike and distrust of any 'body of people' representing 'me' however it's become increasingly obvious that community ownership is the only way we'll get rid of Osborne so to that end I have for the first time in my life put my personal feelings aside on this subject and would support TUST in any way I can. To then find out that they won't even reveal to members the contents of their letter to Osborne and their reluctance to lobby fans at games merely confirmed my original objections to such organisations.

I'll speak to Matt Gorman who has already explained plenty in his email to me and it's blindingly obvious that they need help so with that in mind I'll do whatever I can to help. I encourage others to do the same because I genuinely fear for the future of our club.

Let nobody be fooled by the moves Osborne makes, he's a devious man who has reneged on every pledge he's made regarding the building of stadia at well documented sporting venues. If people don't wake up to the perils of having this man in charge of our clubs future we'll be gone in the blink of an eye. I've not supported another club my whole life, without TUFC I don't have anything, Premiership football doesn't interest me and I'm sure Merse and plenty of others feel the same.

Now is the time to unite, not the end of the season, not next year, NOW!!!!
with you all the way on this Dave. I joined TUST the other day and would be willing to help out (albeit from Sunny Yorkshire) in anyway I can.
I'm pretty sure that the other Northern based Gulls would join in, as its blatantly obvious since Osborne has taken over he only has one thing in mind.
I hope that other reading this thread finally open their eyes and ears as well as smelling the coffee regarding his unscrupulous plans for our beloved club.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 17:12 with you all the way on this Dave. I joined TUST the other day and would be willing to help out (albeit from Sunny Yorkshire) in anyway I can.
I'm pretty sure that the other Northern based Gulls would join in, as its blatantly obvious since Osborne has taken over he only has one thing in mind.
I hope that other reading this thread finally open their eyes and ears as well as smelling the coffee regarding his unscrupulous plans for our beloved club.
Joined 2 years ago :na:
Lucy
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Some of us could be leaders Dave, But too many have agendas which put off some of us. I'm not one for wanting to impose my personality and would work with a team. and I have had experience with a football board. But we need people who can work with each other. without getting personalities in the way.
Negativity from members and those who want to abuse us to just go away for a while and judge us on results rather than the pulling down of reputations before they are allowed to be built.
We need to be transparent and open now more than ever. But unfortunately, we don't at the moment accede to the title of United.
Osborne has gambled on this and at the moment is winning. unless we change our attitudes!
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

No argument from me, Andy.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Woods

Post by Soupdragon »

Glostergull wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 21:02
Negativity from members and those who want to abuse us to just go away for a while and judge us on results rather than the pulling down of reputations before they are allowed to be built.
We need to be transparent and open now more than ever.
For me, my intention was not negativity, but a desire to both tell it like it is from my own pov and to call for a greater openness and transparency - and, yes, action - from the trust board. My own thoughts are that they are way out of their comfort and experience zones in this situation.

And where better to try to hold a fans' trust board to account than on a fans forum? I'm not sure why they should be beyond criticism? After all, if trust members get what most of us want, they'll be making some pretty big decisions on our behalf.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I cancelled my TUST membership a while back, for various reasons, one of those is my belief there has been a lack of proactivity in getting any form of message across to the fanbase.

I really do appreciate the people involved in running do so in their own free time, also appreciate the sending of a letter asking questions, but I believe this doesn't go far enough, I'm expecting a carefully worded, lawyer written response, telling the TUST everything, they think, the fan base want to hear.

The fan base needs to united, including all three forums, not just two of them, yes we've got our opinions, and we don't always like how other members go about expressing them, time to set that all aside now.

I'm happy to re-join TUST, but here needs to a full and open debate, TUST can't sit back and wait for fans to engage them, and I'd like to see the TUST adopt a position making fan ownership of our club the no1 priority. I know this will take time, and a lot of work, and they'll need help.

Our club is dirty, and rotten to the core, I feel this is the only way to clean it up, a hopefully thriving community football club, owned by the community, wonder what would happen to attendances then, regardless of what level the club would have start at. Again it will come down to winning hearts and minds, a lot of people would need convincing before the donations would flood in, there would be a need to get local business involved also.

Right now working 12 hours a day 5 days a week, so not a lot I can do, but I would be happy to give some time on match days, or if TUST don't want to engage fans on match days, then deliver leaflets to peoples front door, I'd happily pound the streets doing that, so you hit the wider community rather than just those who turn up on match days, there's at least a missing 1500 TUFC fans out there some where.
Last edited by Dave on 14 Jan 2018, 21:55, edited 3 times in total.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

forevertufc wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 21:47 I cancelled my TUST membership a while back, for various reasons, one of those is my belief there has been a lack of proactivity in getting any form of message across to the fanbase.

I really do appreciate the people involved in running do so in their own free time, also appreciate the sending of a letter asking questions, but I believe this doesn't go far enough, I'm expecting a carefully worded, lawyer written response, telling the TUST everything, they think, the fan base want to hear.

The fan base needs to united, including all three forums, not just two of them, yes we've got our opinions, and we don't always like how other members go about expressing them, time to set that all aside now.

I'm happy to re-join TUST, but here needs to a full and open debate, TUST can't sit back and wait for fan to engage them, and I'd like to see the TUST adopt a position making fan ownership of our club the no1 priority. I know this will take time, and a lot of work, and they'll need help.

Our club is dirty, and rotten to the core, I feel this is the only way to clean it up, a hopefully thriving community football club, owed by the community, winder what would happen to attendances then, regardless of what level the club would have start at. Again it will come down to winning hearts and minds, a lot of people would need convincing before the donating would flood in, there would be a need to get local business involved also.

Right now working 12 hours a day 5 days a week, so not a lot I can do, but I would be happy to give some time on match days, or if TUST don't want to engage fans on match days, then deliver leaflets to peoples front door, I'd happily pound the streets doing that, so you hit the wider community rather than just those who turn up on match days, there's at least 1500 TUFC fans out there some where.
Amen to this!!
Dave

merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

I just scratched my head in disbelief that there was no intention to engage with fans on matchdays I must say.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

merse btpir wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 21:58 I just scratched my head in disbelief that there was no intention to engage with fans on matchdays I must say.
You weren't half as shocked as I was, I can tell you that!!
Dave

Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

forevertufc wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 21:47 I cancelled my TUST membership a while back, for various reasons, one of those is my belief there has been a lack of proactivity in getting any form of message across to the fanbase.

I'm happy to re-join TUST, but here needs to a full and open debate, TUST can't sit back and wait for fans to engage them, and I'd like to see the TUST adopt a position making fan ownership of our club the no1 priority. I know this will take time, and a lot of work, and they'll need help.

Our club is dirty, and rotten to the core, I feel this is the only way to clean it up, a hopefully thriving community football club, owned by the community, wonder what would happen to attendances then, regardless of what level the club would have start at. Again it will come down to winning hearts and minds, a lot of people would need convincing before the donations would flood in, there would be a need to get local business involved also.

Right now working 12 hours a day 5 days a week, so not a lot I can do, but I would be happy to give some time on match days, or if TUST don't want to engage fans on match days, then deliver leaflets to peoples front door, I'd happily pound the streets doing that, so you hit the wider community rather than just those who turn up on match days, there's at least a missing 1500 TUFC fans out there some where.
Good post Dave.

Scarborough are now top of the evo stik north and still need 3 promotions to get into the NL yet they got nearly 1,200 at their home match vs Kendal Town on saturday which they won 7-0. They are fan owned and run, live within their means, have slowly been growing their fanbase again, have a new stadium with options to expand and it's just fantastic to go and watch footy up there. It's like the closure has happened and they are now moving forward with everyone mucking in and the club is prospering.

I know i keep banging on about Scarborough but you got only 200 ish more against Eastleigh on saturday.

The club IMO needs to be wound up and reformed but that's just my opinion. It's totally understandable how fans want to hang on in there even until the very last minute.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Or ALL fans join together and buy it if it becomes possible.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I've had a lengthy chat with Matt Gorman this evening and he's opened my eyes to the difficulties they are facing but also the good moves they're making quietly behind the scenes.

It's obvious to me now that they need help and not the lambasting I gave them, afterall they are all busy people and at the moment there are just the four of them so I would urge anyone who can devote some spare time to get behind them and help them achieve their goals. I think I made a valid point reference engaging the fans and a lot of ideas were talked about but obviously they are going to require help. I won't divulge what was said but please, if you can help out in any way possible NOW is the time to jump on board. I know there are some prominent figures who have had roles at TUST in the past and rightly or wrongly taken some stick along the way but I feel that the experience of people like Merse, Chris Fleet, Rob Chandler et al to see whether they can advise or suggest people that can assist them.

I'm sure Michel Thomas is fully aware of the importance of addressing our fans at any opportunity, I wasn't aware that he was in fact meeting some fans on Saturday with the same goal in mind so I apologise to him for my outburst but more importantly to Ali, Matt and Robin for any upset I caused to them as I'm sure they all want the same as I do and that's to see the club safely into the future for our kids and grandkids to enjoy.

With what they have already in place and what they intend to try and do in the future I will be joining immediately, unfortunately I just don't have the time (anyone who knows me personally will know how full my life is already) and also the distance to South Devon would prevent me from being able to do much but there are people who can offer their spare time to help them forward. I can't stress enough how critical it is that TUST enlarge their membership and along with that their finances but to reach the wider audience they desperately need more bodies but also some pointers in how to reach out to fans and other interested parties.

If you can help then please get in touch with them and offer your services. Our fans contain some very wise people, we need to draw on their knowledge and experience like never before. They (TUST) will be more proactive and if nothing else the last few days have given rise to the saying no publicity is bad publicity. Please get behind them, now more than ever is when we need to emphasise the United in Torquay United.

I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong, in this instance I've made a mistake through not understanding the problems they face.
Dave

westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Great post Dave
I joined them 2 days ago and had a lovely response from them. It's going to take a bit more than just joining though that helps. Like you say we need a mix of all the expertise we have on here and elsewhere. The regular posters on here have some fantastic skills which could be used. Times like these I wish I was not a long term exiles gull. Been in Yorkshire more than half my life but my heart will always be there
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

We definitely have the right people among our fanbase to make a difference. Let's hope they can come forward and help.
Dave

merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

forevertufc wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 21:47 The fan base needs to united, including all three forums, not just two of them, yes we've got our opinions, and we don't always like how other members go about expressing them, time to set that all aside now.

The way I see it is that the only way there is a minimum of hope is to maintain the pressure on the local bureaucracy not to surrender the freehold thus blocking Osborne in his quest and (hopefully) forcing him to seek to dispose of the club whilst recognising that it will be a disposal with liabilities attached. Liabilities which in my estimation will not be less than half a million; and then there is the little manner of having the capital and regular income to maintain the club as a professional operation commensurate with playing at the level it will be at the time.

So therefore the only feasible activity to focus on now is to enlist in, and support the trust in their quest for community ownership. If the desire from within the club ownership is to relegate it; then there is nothing as supporters we can do about that. I suspect however that whilst this is not actually the case from even Geoff Harrop's level it is the incompetence he has shown in managing the team managerial appointments and the alleged negative pressure he brought to bear on the previous management that has created the situation where we have a wholly de-motivated and inadequate squad of players hugely under-manned and padded out by loaneees not really fit for the purpose of galvanising them in the manner they now need.

To me; Clarke Osborne appointing his brother-in-law to oversee and run the club, was in effect putting a useful idiot in charge of operations.

So; support (and join if you haven't) the trust, add your personal manpower to their diminished resources; harras and harangue Dave Thomas and the local media when you see them into taking OUR side and not Osborne's; and keep up the lobbying and pressure on the local politicians!
Last edited by merse btpir on 16 Jan 2018, 13:52, edited 2 times in total.