Reece Mitchell

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Jerry wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 12:25 Why not offer an 18 month contract with a relegation clause?
Because contract negotiation is a two way thing and none of know for sure what has been tabled, what has been rejected and what has been accepted.

Quite often more security for the player comes with lower remuneration and in any case; offering anything past and beyond the end of the season comes with the caveat that the salary is payable throughout the close-season.

Conversely the requirement to sign a two year deal ~ even with a release clause ~ might be met with a demand for an increased salary. In reality I would think anyone coming in now will be on a highly incentivised bonus scheme for avoiding relegation.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

merse btpir wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 09:42
~ and very few appear to wanting to commit to the club should tell you all you need to know as to the reason for the difficulty that Gary Owers is facing in that it determines the perspective in which the club is held.

The sort of signing that this club and others like it have to make; Eric Webber and Frank O'Farrell were needing to do it half a century or more ago ~ nothing's changed. Some will work out; some won't.

The trick is having a data base and knowledge of the widest spectrum of talent out there and the realities of it's availability and openness to relocating to the south west'

; at the end of the day it's down to the player's attitude and determination to make a success of their move.
Plenty of excuses there that you didn't afford the previous manager yet here you are explaining why it isn't Owers fault that recruitment hasn't been successful.

You can't have it both ways.............
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Richinns wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 10:01
In fairness that was the one thing I was pinning hope to when they were announced but it also has to be said that to this point their recruitment has not been on the standard required (especially as they have been given more support than the previous manager was provided). I don't want to go over old ground regarding the summer recruitment and I do realise their hands have been tied coming into the club at the time they did but they have not exactly lived up to the 'contacts, contacts, contacts' ringing endorsement Mr Harrop gave them when they arrived.

In honesty I do not hold them significantly responsible for the mess we are in. That honour must go to Geoff Harrop. This is the person who did not want Nicholson as manager of the club but did not have the backbone to sack him in the summer. Instead he sat back allowing a manger he did not want at the club to recruit for that season and simply waited for a bad run of results. As soon as he got this wish he jumped on it without having anything set-up to provide the much needed structure which perhaps would not have allowed us to drift along throwing points away under the leadership of a much overwhelmed Herrera. This period was farcical and provided a much tougher situation for Owers and Kuhl to have to address. The only hope right now is a group coming together with a sense of pride and passion. Say what you wan about Nicholson but he has provided this in the past but Owers and Kuhl are not from that mould and this is why I am already resigned to relegation this season.

Geoff Harrop has a lot to answer for but he continues to hide away.
Harrop is getting a free run at abject failure, sadly it was all too predictable.
Dave

Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

merse btpir wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 12:30 Because contract negotiation is a two way thing
Which is why I said "offer". But thanks for the patronizing reply. :-D
Arrywithnobrain
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tony Brown

Post by Arrywithnobrain »

Southampton Gull wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 12:36 Plenty of excuses there that you didn't afford the previous manager yet here you are explaining why it isn't Owers fault that recruitment hasn't been successful.

[highlight=yellow]You can't have it both ways.............
[/highlight]
WRONG: You must know that Merse has it every which way but lo(o)se ......
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I don't have a problem with Merse. We have differing opinions on a lot of things and can both argue the merits of our case but I do sense double standards whenever Nicholson and Owers are mentioned.
Dave

merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Southampton Gull wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 13:20I do sense double standards whenever Nicholson and Owers are mentioned.
Ignore that last poster (with no brain) Dave; he only crawls out of the woodwork to have a go at me ~ he's a single issue troll! :Oops:

I do stand to be accused of that (and take it on board) because of my vehement objection to the manner in which Nicholson was appointed; but then you have vehement objections to the manner in which Owers was appointed.

In no way do I think that he was the primary target for Harrop to bring in and in no way do I believe that the dreadful hiatus in getting rid of Nicholson and him getting started was anything but detrimental to the club......we read into that what we choose; but the suspicion has to be that the chosen target(s) before him rejected the salary/contractual terms/or relocation aspects of the job.

Owers didn't need to relocate of course and indeed hasn't. Kuhl's arrangements are acceptable to the club and that is that.

Reading between the lines, I would hazard a guess that several ultimate targets of the management would not have been available until now and now that this part of the season is upon us the club is less desirable to many of them that it would have been back in September.
Arrywithnobrain
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tony Brown

Post by Arrywithnobrain »

merse btpir wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 13:40 [highlight=yellow]Ignore that last poster (with no brain) Dave; he only crawls out of the woodwork to have a go at me ~ he's a single issue troll![/highlight] :Oops:

I do stand to be accused of that (and take it on board) because of my vehement objection to the manner in which Nicholson was appointed; but then you have vehement objections to the manner in which Owers was appointed.

In no way do I think that he was the primary target for Harrop to bring in and in no way do I believe that the dreadful hiatus in getting rid of Nicholson and him getting started was anything but detrimental to the club......we read into that what we choose; but the suspicion has to be that the chosen target(s) before him rejected the salary/contractual terms/or relocation aspects of the job.

Owers didn't need to relocate of course and indeed hasn't. Kuhl's arrangements are acceptable to the club and that is that.

Reading between the lines, I would hazard a guess that several ultimate targets of the management would not have been available until now and now that this part of the season is upon us the club is less desirable to many of them that it would have been back in September.
Not a single issue Merse - lots of them when you pontificate. You have issues about Nicholson - yet make references when it suits you to things that he confided in you - but you constantly make excuses for Owers when in fact his record both regarding players and results is arguably worse than that of his predecessor. You love to criticise the performances of specific players even when you have not attended the games in question and you constantly hurl insults at anyone who dares to disagree with you, particularly if they manage to get under that infamously thick skin that you proudly proclaim that you have. In short you are the epitome of hypocrisy - the archetypal playground bully who metamorphosed into a grumpy old man half a century later - a latter day Sun King revelling in his own self adulation, demanding absolute adoration from all and sundry and throwing a temper tantrum when he doesn't get it ( a sort of North London parody of a North Korean dictator ).
It's good to know that I have progressed from a mere baboon to a "supernatural being, giant or friendly but mischievous dwarf" (the Oxford Dictionary definition of a troll) although I confess that I was unaware that either could be found in or crawling out of woodwork: still I bow to your superior Natural History knowledge, which is doubtless as extensive and infallible as your wisdom in matters pertaining to football. I had feared that you may have indulged in more imaginative insults - I would hate to be described as the pip beneath your denture or the boil upon your arse - but I should have realised that someone who cannot appreciate the nuances of irony or satire really would not have the wit to be imaginative: it's not just your skin that's thick is it Merse?
It's a pity that you are such a windbag Merse as some of your points are worthwhile; it's just that finding them is like looking for diamonds in a dung heap. It's only a suggestion, but perhaps you could preface your postings with some form of Invective Alert or Content Value Rating ( a scale from Young Rant to Old Codger's Opinion might be appropriate ): BOLD CAPITALS would be a good start ..........
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

It is becoming like a Shakespearean tragedy on here. Merse being cast as the villain.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

gullintwoplaces wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 15:58 It is becoming like a Skakespearean tragedy on here. Merse being cast as the villain.
Quite entertaining all this though :)
TUST MEMBER
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Thing with Merse is he always has to go one better. If you said you were an astronaut and had just come back from visiting the moon and had brought back some moon rock he would no doubt tell you that he'd been to Pluto years ago and not only that but had in fact visited the solar system in it's entirety using only a microlight as transportation.

Oh and he wouldn't have moon rock. He'd say he had alien remains. Better than moon rock that, and then when someone comes along decades after from NASA proclaiming they have at last found evidence of alien life, Merse would ring up claiming he'd already discovered aliens years ago after he had been scouting them on far distant planets for some regional south east team who had been looking for something a bit different 'up top'. ET was always the original 50p header of a ball.

In footballing terms, even if I made up the name of a footballer, say Hamish McHaggismuncher and claimed he was out of contract at Scottish non league club John O'Groats United, Merse would probably be on saying he's had him watched for years as he used to play for some academy down in the south east. In fact every footballer that ever lived seems to originate from the south east, conveniently only a handful of miles from his house.

Most of his posts, as I've said are very knowledgable and informative and they are good to read but : A) It's not possible to know everything

and B) On occasion there will be people who know more and know better. Not that for one moment i'm saying that is me. There are many contributors on here who impart their wisdom and views and they are as valid as anyone's and shouldn't be constantly pushed to one side by another.

Oh and i'm not a troll and have no intention of deliberately calling people out but the above is just the impression I have based on what goes on on here. In the pub he might be just a regular bloke, likes a laugh and a pint and happy days. A bit of humility on occasion though would be a great asset to him I feel and a welcome trait to add to the positive ones he already has i'm sure.
Last edited by Yorkieandy on 11 Jan 2018, 16:35, edited 3 times in total.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

gullintwoplaces wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 15:58 It is becoming like a Shakespearean tragedy...
Thats just it! a tragedy, for:

"Lord, we know what we are, but know not what we may be".

Hamlet - Act4
Last edited by MellowYellow on 11 Jan 2018, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

Yorkieandy wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 16:25 Hamish McHaggismuncher
Racist! :red:
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

United62 wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 16:31 Racist! :red:
:clap:

I knew that was coming.

No more Yorkshire men with whippets and cloth flat caps then. :S
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

No more ovine sexual activity accusations either can be levelled at anyone across Offa's dyke.