Reece Mitchell

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SatNav
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by SatNav »

Are we not learning from the mistakes we have made all season. It’s experience we need right now; also where is the striker!!!! Failure to secure an experienced striker will ultimately be our downfall!!
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

I think we all have to realise that the experienced striker we all crave for is extremely unlikely to happen. I mean, who are these people? Where are they now?Are they playing for somebody else, and if so why would they come to us? If they are benchwarmers elsewhere why would they come to us and if they did would they be up to speed and able to give us what we so desperately need? If you were a players agent why would you recommend a move to TUFC?
It seems to me that through the total incompetence from top to bottom at Plainmoor the chickens have well and truly come home to roost, and brought a load of their mates with them.
Very sad times for a supporter of almost 60 years.
But lets at least give Reece Mitchell a chance and not have a go at him before he's even kicked a ball for us.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

DB57 wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 08:32 I think we all have to realise that the experienced striker we all crave for is extremely unlikely to happen. I mean, who are these people? Where are they now?Are they playing for somebody else, and if so why would they come to us? If they are benchwarmers elsewhere why would they come to us and if they did would they be up to speed and able to give us what we so desperately need? If you were a players agent why would you recommend a move to TUFC?
It seems to me that through the total incompetence from top to bottom at Plainmoor the chickens have well and truly come home to roost, and brought a load of their mates with them.
Very sad times for a supporter of almost 60 years.
But lets at least give Reece Mitchell a chance and not have a go at him before he's even kicked a ball for us.
Agree. We have to accept that experienced strikers are not going to want to come down to Torquay for a relegation battle at the bottom of the NL.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

So this guy has played four games all season for Chesterfield, who are currently in a relegation place in league 2, and has had his contract cancelled by mutual consent.......fills you with hope doesn't it!

On paper Myrie-Williams was a far better addition and look how he has worked out!

You never know but on the face of it this is about as a desperate panic signing as you get!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Perhaps more openness by the management would explain the situation better; but then again it might work against their best efforts to strengthen the squad.

Face facts:
The squad needs numbers adding to it ~ prior to yesterday it was even one short to field a full bench this Saturday
This is a nonleague club and a bottom of the table non league club at that
It will only get players who express a willingness to come and sign ~ that more than likely only accounts for ten per cent of those on the manager's wish list.
Just as no-one appears to want our 'star turns' ~ no bids for the locally revered Young and McGinty as yet ~ and very few appear to wanting to commit to the club should tell you all you need to know as to the reason for the difficulty that Gary Owers is facing in that it determines the perspective in which the club is held.

From Reece Mitchell's perspective signing for us represents a chance to maintain his professional career and income; it's 'what players who have been informed in January there will be no new contract for them in June do'.

The sort of signing that this club and others like it have to make; Eric Webber and Frank O'Farrell were needing to do it half a century or more ago ~ nothing's changed. Some will work out; some won't.

The trick is having a data base and knowledge of the widest spectrum of talent out there and the realities of it's availability and openness to relocating to the south west'

Owers is like Martin Ling; they both have a plethora of knowledge built up from scouting on both sides of the border. It widens the possibilities that's all because nothing changes; at the end of the day it's down to the player's attitude and determination to make a success of their move.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

merse btpir wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 09:42 Perhaps more openness by the management would explain the situation better; but then again it might work against their best efforts to strengthen the squad.

Face facts:
The squad needs numbers adding to it ~ prior to yesterday it was even one short to field a full bench this Saturday
It will only get players who express a willingness to come and sign ~ that more than likely only accounts for ten per cent of those on the manager's wish list.
Just as no-one appears to want our 'star turns' ~ no bids for the locally revered Young and McGinty as yet ~ and very few appear to wanting to commit to the club should tell you all you need to know as to the reason for the difficulty that Gary Owers is facing in that it determines the perspective in which the club is held.

From Reece Mitchell's perspective signing for us represents a chance to maintain his professional career and income; it's 'what players who have been informed in January there will be no new contract for them in June do'.

The sort of signing that this club and others like it have to make; Eric Webber and Frank O'Farrell were needing to do it half a century or more ago ~ nothing's changed. Some will work out; some won't.

The trick is having a data base and knowledge of the widest spectrum of talent out there and the realities of it's availability and openness to relocating to the south west'

Owers is like Martin Ling; they both have a plethora of knowledge built up from scouting on both sides of the border. It widens the possibilities that's all because nothing changes; at the end of the day it's down to the player's attitude and determination to make a success of their move.
In fairness that was the one thing I was pinning hope to when they were announced but it also has to be said that to this point their recruitment has not been on the standard required (especially as they have been given more support than the previous manager was provided). I don't want to go over old ground regarding the summer recruitment and I do realise their hands have been tied coming into the club at the time they did but they have not exactly lived up to the 'contacts, contacts, contacts' ringing endorsement Mr Harrop gave them when they arrived.

In honesty I do not hold them significantly responsible for the mess we are in. That honour must go to Geoff Harrop. This is the person who did not want Nicholson as manager of the club but did not have the backbone to sack him in the summer. Instead he sat back allowing a manger he did not want at the club to recruit for that season and simply waited for a bad run of results. As soon as he got this wish he jumped on it without having anything set-up to provide the much needed structure which perhaps would not have allowed us to drift along throwing points away under the leadership of a much overwhelmed Herrera. This period was farcical and provided a much tougher situation for Owers and Kuhl to have to address. The only hope right now is a group coming together with a sense of pride and passion. Say what you wan about Nicholson but he has provided this in the past but Owers and Kuhl are not from that mould and this is why I am already resigned to relegation this season.

Geoff Harrop has a lot to answer for but he continues to hide away.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Woods

Post by Soupdragon »

Yorkieandy wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 00:08 I've seen him a few times too and more recently than you so i'll ignore your scouting report and go on what i've seen thankyou very much and take on board what other Chesterfield fans see who go every week and who i speak with every day because i live here. You aren't the only person in the whole world to have seen this dude play. Oh i forgot. I'm wrong. I must be because i'm not you.

I've seen him more recently than you and in competitive league football, not just in a Prem youth side so my opinion in this instance is more valid than yours. I know it's difficult to accept but do so.
So we're not supposed to criticise YOU, but it's ok for you to come on here and belittle and disparage a 22-year-old making an effort to make his way in the world?
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Soupdragon wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 10:33 So we're not supposed to criticise YOU, but it's ok for you to come on here and belittle and disparage a 22-year-old making an effort to make his way in the world?
Read my posts about him PROPERLY and then come back and let me know where i have belittled him and disparaged him.

First post:

'some saying he has a poor attitude and doesn't look bothered half the time.......'. NOTE THE WORD 'SOME' . It doesn't say that 'I' say he's got a poor attitude but 'SOME' say.

Then i finish the first post with, 'hopefully it will work out for both parties in the end'.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second post:

I expressed concern at his career path up to now given he's 22 and only played competitively for one club and performances by and large not being of the standard required at a soon to be NL club. I didn't say he was dogsh*te or anything like that. Just an opinion based on fact, my opinion on what i'd seen and the opinion of others who had seen more of him than i had. Finished by saying we won't know what he's about until he pulls on the yellow shirt.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Third post:

Just a late night mini spat with Merse all in good nature. 8-] Nothing to see here.

Fourth post:

Me saying that hopefully it will all turn out alright in the end for both the player and the club.

Fifth post:

Me having to come on and defend myself against an unfounded post full of untruths by someone who can't read properly nor is able to interpret basic sentences.

Honestly.

You people.
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Woods

Post by Soupdragon »

"The concern is that he's 22 years old and barely done anything in a year and a half at Chesterfield which up to now has been his one and only club. If he cannot impress or show the right application for his first ever club, under two different managers, in front of 4 - 5,000 fans every other week and also a club who have been struggling during his time there then what chance him coming to a club a league lower and almost certainly relegated and in front of less than 2,000?"

Remind me. Who said that?

Sticking "We won't know until he puts on a shirt" after it doesn't make it not disparaging.

I have no confidence whatsoever in Owers, his training, his tactics, anything; but I'd rather give the lad - any lad - a clean slate.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Yorkieandy wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 00:08I've seen him a few times too and more recently than you so i'll ignore your scouting report and go on what i've seen thankyou very much and take on board what other Chesterfield fans see who go every week and who i speak with every day because i live here. You aren't the only person in the whole world to have seen this dude play. Oh i forgot. I'm wrong. I must be because i'm not you.
I said: 'No it isn't he was a very successful and creative player in the Chelsea Academy and I remember him as a very pacey player and producer of many assists with his style of play, which is certainly missing from the play of the team at the moment. If he still plays in the same style then look forward to thrusting runs and taking on opponents at close quarters...........'

Now re-read that and stop getting so offended; that is patently NOT a 'scouting report' and it refuted your statement that Chesterfield was the only club that he played for. It is my view of what I have seen of him when playing in the Chelsea youth team (and I think FA Youth Cup winiing side) under the late Dermot Drummy.

Even if his recent performances for Chesterfield ~ a club under a smiliar cloud and in desperate straits like Torquay United ~ have had little impact; my recollections would underline just what he is capable of whilst acknowledging that his career has stopped progressing and that he has decided to move on...had he wanted to, he could easily have stayed at Chesterfield seeing out his contract and drawing his money!
Last edited by merse btpir on 11 Jan 2018, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Well things potentially are looking improved as we've signed two players (their ability and usefulness to be seen on Saturday) from teams above our level rather than academy youth players.
It's a start!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

merse btpir wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 09:42 Perhaps more openness by the management would explain the situation better; but then again it might work against their best efforts to strengthen the squad.

Face facts:

I do find it strange that you use these excuses in support of Owers and yet when Nicholson faced the same problems with even less budget to play with you were quick to condemn the giving of 2 year contracts. He faced worse restrictions and still managed to keep us up 2 years running.

Owers has proved to me that he doesn't have an eye for a player and doesn't know how best to utilise the ones he's got.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

It's transpiring that the manager tried to get him on loan earlier in the season and it didn’t materialise. Got an opportunity to bring him as a contracted player until the end of the season which is probably realistically the only sort of contract the club will be offering or would be acceptable to some players in the circumstances because whilst some might require the security of two years, others will not want to be tied to plummeting into that level that awaits us if they fail.

“He’s a wide player, he can obviously play down the middle but what he will bring to the team is raw pace and energy ~ that is something that maybe we miss a little bit of.” says Owers on the OS and indeed were my feelings when I posted last night........there isn't much pace or energy within the squad as we have it so it is vital it is added.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Southampton Gull wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 11:27I do find it strange that you use these excuses in support of Owers and yet when Nicholson faced the same problems with even less budget to play with you were quick to condemn the giving of 2 year contracts. He faced worse restrictions and still managed to keep us up 2 years running.
I don't regard anything that I posted on which you comment as in any way being 'an excuse' nor 'in support of Owers'.

More outligning the situation as I see it. I'm never going to pretend that Owers' points from games ratio is acceptable; but then neither was Nicholson's and this season's chaotic start with so many unfit for purpose players littering up the place was clearly not acceptable and in no way a suitable platform from which to build.......he's history; kapput!
Last edited by merse btpir on 11 Jan 2018, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

merse btpir wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 11:29 It's transpiring that the manager tried to get him on loan earlier in the season and it didn’t materialise. Got an opportunity to bring him as a contracted player until the end of the season which is probably realistically the only sort of contract the club will be offering or would be acceptable to some players in the circumstances because whilst some might require the security of two years, others will not want to be tied to plummeting into that level that awaits us if they fail.
Why not offer an 18 month contract with a relegation clause? That would suit both parties I would have thought. If the player is a success and keeps us up we don't lose him for nothing in the summer and he has another years contract under his belt.

If we are relegated he gets released and is free to find a club at NL level or above and we aren't lumbered with his wages in the NLS.