tufc in crisis

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Southampton Gull wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 10:50 What kind of idiot bellows out his manager in front of other members of staff and demand that he shuts up someone who is insulting him on a fans forum.
.......or pressure his manager into calling a contributor who got into a spat with his brother? :whistle:
dawlishmatt

Post by dawlishmatt »

Looking at football club ownership, what is the reason why many people or companies buy a football club. Take Manchester United for example. Why would a man like Malcolm Glazer, according to wikipedia, pay around £ 800,000,000 to buy the club. Most of the capital came in the form of loans. There are very few club owners who purchace football clubs simply for pleasure. Likewise at Torquay nobody apart from a select few know what Clarke Osbourne's real motives are. Personally i don't really care. All i care about is Torquay United Football Club. If that means moving away from plainmoor and into a multi purpose stadium, then fine. If Clarke Osbourne makes millions from any future involvment with the club, then good luck to him. What i am 100% sure about though is that whatever the future holds, Torquay United will never die, thanks to all of you, the wonderful supporters of our great club. T.U.F.C will be around long after Mr Osbourne has been and gone.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Well you do need to care becasue unless you do then you can't rest at peace that the club will always be there
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

hector wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 08:22 Clarke Osborne the saviour of the club? Seriously?

No wonder property developers can come in and slowly suffocate football clubs when you have supporters calling them saviours.

Can’t people see that Osborne is playing the long game? For heaven’s sake.
👏👏👏👏 The naivety of some people, at least I hope it’s that. “Thank you for exploiting us Mr Osborne, please do it some more”.
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

Funny, when GI were taking over the club and were getting widespread opposition, a load of new/anonymous posters started spreading pro-GI stuff on here. After a while, it all dropped off. Now that the club is in major trouble and discontent is growing, again it happens. Coincidence?

EDIT: Also, is it a coincidence that suddenly every thread is degenerating into a Merse (the most outspoken critic of GI)-bashing session from the same few posters?
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

dawlishmatt - I absolutely respect your view on this and suspect you may be speaking for a significant proportion of the fan base but please don't close your ears to the views of those of us on the opposite side of the fence when it comes to CO's real objectives here. Retain an open mind and I am almost certain that in time you'll come to join us on our side. perhaps, just perhaps, you are right and we all need to eat humble pie but history tends to repeat itself and I'll be bl00dy surprised if that happens! If you do come and join us then hopefully it won't be too late by then. I remain 100% sure that Torquay United Football Club very much can and probably will die under the current regime.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

I would think that anyone linked to GI in anyway who uses this site is wasting their time. They can just go about their business as usual without the need to engage as there is no real and sustained resistance. Yes it's good to get the message out there and it can only help but again, it's all just words and no tangible action. Not a criticism but more an observation.

Merse is passionate about the club, as others are, and he reveals some enlightening facts about the club on a regular basis but i don't see how that changes anything. Maybe his 'bashers' are because he tends to have an insensitive posting style which many find uneccessary and at times unacceptable?

I think overall if this posting style gets posters talking and aware of the issues at TQ1 then that's great but that's all it is and will ever be, talking and an awareness of the potential problems. No solutions or influence over these problems though as the future of the club relies on the decision making of others now.

The only positive thing to be done maybe is join the trust and at the very least it's an attempt to try and exert some control over an enforced and helpless situation.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Just read Lloyder's post on the other thread about his trust lump sum donation being returned so maybe NOT join the trust? Who knows? Wonder what is going on?
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Yorkieandy wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 13:58 Just read Lloyder's post on the other thread about his trust lump sum donation being returned so maybe NOT join the trust? Who knows? Wonder what is going on?
Nothing going on at all. That was part of the deal. Donate the money should it be needed. GI took over. It wasn't needed, thus it was returned.

I was merely joining the debate about whether the Trust was tinpot, giving the example of how it was raising funds at a time of existential crisis.

How easily rumours start!
TUST number 080
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Lloyder5 wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 14:03 Nothing going on at all. That was part of the deal. Donate the money should it be needed. GI took over. It wasn't needed, thus it was returned.

I was merely joining the debate about whether the Trust was tinpot, giving the example of how it was raising funds at a time of existential crisis.

How easily rumours start!
Yep as Lloyder says the understanding was always that the money would be returned in the event that the club was taken over.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

That's fine. Glad you both cleared it up. Thanks. Although wasn't intending to start a rumour. It wasn't clear to anyone who didn't know the rule that it would be returned so was ambiguous. Hardly a fault of mine. :~D

In which case DO join the trust.
dawlishmatt

Post by dawlishmatt »

The reason i believe that Torquay United will always be alive is simple. I agree with what a lot of what merse says. Over the last 20 years or so, football has changed a lot. The rich have got richer, the poor are now poorer. HALIFAX, MAIDSTONE, SOUTHPORT, WORKINGTON, LUTON,PORTSMOUTH, PLYMOUTH, EXETER, BOURNEMOUTH, DARLINGTON, YORK, SCARBOROUGH, to name but a few, are some of the clubs i can think of that have gone bust and look at them now. Luton top of league 2, Exeter looking good for the play offs, plymouth doing ok in league 1 along with portsmouth, Bournemouth who just a few seasons ago started in league 2 with a -10 point deduction now a premier league club, maidstone and Halifax doing ok in our league. Clubs do bounce back and whatever happens this season or in the future, thats why im confident that Torquay will never die.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

madgull wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 13:15Funny, when GI were taking over the club and were getting widespread opposition, a load of new/anonymous posters started spreading pro-GI stuff on here. After a while, it all dropped off. Now that the club is in major trouble and discontent is growing, again it happens. Coincidence? Also, is it a coincidence that suddenly every thread is degenerating into a Merse (the most outspoken critic of GI)-bashing session from the same few posters?
Funny you should mention that, but some twenty or so years back an acquaintance of mine who used to post as Billy The Bee on the Brentford forums got similar treatment when he got wind of the fact that David Webb (who had just breezed in after being sacked at Chelsea) was going to get a stake in Brentford FC where he next popped up as manager as a front for Ron Noades (and we all recognise the ramifications of that) and in the event it all duly came to pass when Webb 'acquired an ownership' stake in the club and resigned as manager. Webb then 'sold the club on' to Noades in June 1998, following protests from supporters about his running of the club, and their relegation to Division Three.

Now 'Billy' was getting anonymous silent phone calls and even visits to his flat in Stoke Newington and he always said to be aware when you stand up to property speculation and developers.

Anyway; fast forward to now and whilst I don't think all of the vehemently opposed people to me or my posting style are GI stooges ~ not by a long chalk ~ but certainly there is an element of trying to get 'friendly posting' on the forums whenever someone is trying to get what they want but run against what they regard as 'Urban Guerillas' hence the age old, 'Old Soldier' emotional blackmail we are seeing these past few day.
Last edited by merse btpir on 10 Jan 2018, 14:26, edited 1 time in total.
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

How much money would be needed? Hundreds of thousands? I don't know.
Be realistic whatever the figure is it is not going to be raised from a fan base of under 2,000.
As a supporter for 50 years I say let the club die with dignity and don't let all this cr*p carry on any longer.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

dawlishmatt wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 11:11If that means moving away from Plainmoor and into a multi purpose stadium, then fine.
He promises new stadia. But, in terms of his business dealings and subsequent construction, there's some new housing on the outskirts of Swindon; an IKEA in Bristol; some wasteland in Reading with new housing nearby and precisely zero new stadia built.

Now that our owner is getting a bit of stick again, it's only a matter of time before a further Dave Thomas "Owner breaks his silence" exclusive containing several platitudes to be followed yet again by prolonged silence, inactivity, no 5 year plan, no local board, no fans forum, no stadium in 2020 and a partridge in a b*stard pear tree.