Is there an alternative future for Torquay United?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

I didn't join in the first place as i felt not enough was being done and the trust needed a real surge of new members instead of the dribs and drabs it eventually got to the point where in the end it felt like desperation to try and get people to join. Again, it's easy for me to sit here and moan and complain about others who gave up their time and effort to try and get something positive done and i really don't intend that but i believe in my case i wanted a trust that was more dynamic and more willing to take direct action rather than just have endless meetings and discussions which ultimately always seemed to lead to nowhere. This is why i didn't join because basically i didn't believe in it or that it would have any effect on anything whatsoever.

Also from the perspective of the trust i presume that they must be very frustrated at the apathy of the TUFC fanbase and surely must have gotten disheartened when, what began as a great idea suddenly became very hard and thankless work.

So i have nothing but praise and admiration for anyone who wants to get off their arses and try and make a difference therefore i am not being judgmental or critical in any way so all i can say is that i am a slightly more reactive / take action now and think later kind of bloke and whilst i appreciate it's not appropriate to be like this in many instances, i just felt that i wanted a little more resistance, spirit and aggression from the trust rather than what appeared to me to be another organisation where lots of men in suits sit round talking and drinking tea. (Not saying they were though).

Again, not having a go as they are good people who had a go and i didn't. Just my opinion which i am giving honestly and trying not to be insensitive or ungrateful.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Cruisinho wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 14:53

Also, I cancelled my membership a while back, simply because I didn’t feel enough was being done. A feeling I still have now. If this improves I will of course rejoin.
Did you voice your views to the TUST board before leaving? TUST are a democratic organization who exist to represent the fans, if you aren't happy with what they are doing then you have a vote to change the way they operate.

Can't see the logic in just leaving, it's not like it costs a lot (just £2 per month) and your money can help ensure there is a club to support in the future.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Admiral wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 14:27 If the TUST were to release some idea of their contingency planning BEFORE the club goes bust I will join. Chester already had thousands of City Fans United members and money in the bank before they went bust and started again just 4 months later.

Not enough is being done. Start Phoenix planning now!
If you think not enough is being done then get involved yourself. The trust are always open to your ideas so tell them you want more done and they may just do so.

And why not just join now? It costs only £2 per month after all, surely the future of our club is worth that? If you are a member then you can influence how they proceed going forward and make sure the Phoenix planning is started.
Last edited by Jerry on 09 Jan 2018, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Also i do think the trust could maybe ramp up the cost to join and pay monthly from £2 to maybe £5 minimum? I know it's not a lot more (£3) but £2 is not a lot either and i wouldn't think most people would miss the extra £3 a month. I know you might be able to donate whatever you want but i just feel that for all the time and effort that goes in (voluntarily i know) then a fiver a month is the least we should be paying IMO.

Again. I'd pay it and join if i thought the money would be there to step in should anything happen. I wouldn't have thought that at £2 a month and a few hundred donators that the trust would have even enough money to run the club for a week let alone until a new buyer was found.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Yorkieandy wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 15:07 I didn't join in the first place as i felt not enough was being done and the trust needed a real surge of new members instead of the dribs and drabs it eventually got to the point where in the end it felt like desperation to try and get people to join. Again, it's easy for me to sit here and moan and complain about others who gave up their time and effort to try and get something positive done and i really don't intend that but i believe in my case i wanted a trust that was more dynamic and more willing to take direct action rather than just have endless meetings and discussions which ultimately always seemed to lead to nowhere. This is why i didn't join because basically i didn't believe in it or that it would have any effect on anything whatsoever.

Also from the perspective of the trust i presume that they must be very frustrated at the apathy of the TUFC fanbase and surely must have gotten disheartened when, what began as a great idea suddenly became very hard and thankless work.

So i have nothing but praise and admiration for anyone who wants to get off their arses and try and make a difference therefore i am not being judgmental or critical in any way so all i can say is that i am a slightly more reactive / take action now and think later kind of bloke and whilst i appreciate it's not appropriate to be like this in many instances, i just felt that i wanted a little more resistance, spirit and aggression from the trust rather than what appeared to me to be another organisation where lots of men in suits sit round talking and drinking tea. (Not saying they were though).

Again, not having a go as they are good people who had a go and i didn't. Just my opinion which i am giving honestly and trying not to be insensitive or ungrateful.
Of all the people on this board you are the person who I thought would have joined Andy. If you want the Phoenix club you keep talking about then TUST are the only people in a position to make this happen, they already have a tidy sum in their accounts for just such a contingency and the more people who join the better position they will be in.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Yorkieandy wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 15:39
Again. I'd pay it and join if i thought the money would be there to step in should anything happen. I wouldn't have thought that at £2 a month and a few hundred donators that the trust would have even enough money to run the club for a week let alone until a new buyer was found.
Makes no sense to me. You won't join because they don't have enough money? Well if you joined they would have a bit more wouldn't they? The sooner you join the more money they will have.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Jerry wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 15:43 Makes no sense to me. You won't join because they don't have enough money? Well if you joined they would have a bit more wouldn't they? The sooner you join the more money they will have.
:lol: I guess when you put it like that Jerry then you are right but it would also take another 3,4,500 others to join too at £2 a month to make my contribution worthwhile wouldn't it? I suppose i am making excuses and i accept that if i don't join and pay £2 a month then i cannot sit here and complain that the trust don't have enough money.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Jerry wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 15:43 Makes no sense to me. You won't join because they don't have enough money? Well if you joined they would have a bit more wouldn't they? The sooner you join the more money they will have.
I think what andy is trying to say is.. its only £2.. my £2 isnt going to make much of a difference; and i agree somewhat, the monthly subs have to be increased, to say £5 or something because if the shit hits the fan someones £2 a month isnt going to do anything in the way of keeping the club going... didnt the Dave Phillips lot dismiss TUST as a potential buyer because they didnt have enough cash?
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

CraigUnder wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 15:50
I think what andy is trying to say is.. its only £2.. my £2 isnt going to make much of a difference; and i agree somewhat, the monthly subs have to be increased, to say £5 or something because if the shit hits the fan someones £2 a month isnt going to do anything in the way of keeping the club going... didnt the Dave Phillips lot dismiss TUST as a potential buyer because they didnt have enough cash?
Again this makes no sense to me. "My £2 isn't going to make a difference, I think it should be £5 but as it isn't then I'm going to pay nothing"

You can pay whatever you like but if everyone paid nothing because not enough other people had paid then we're screwed.

And it's not just about the money, the more members they have the more seriously the trust will be taken.

Dave Phillips dismissed the trust partly because (he said) they didn't represent the fans as they didn't have enough members and partly because he was in thrall to Pete Masters to whom supporter ownership is anathema.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Jerry wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 15:37 If you think not enough is being done then get involved yourself. The trust are always open to your ideas so tell them you want more done and they may just do so.

And why not just join now? It costs only £2 per month after all, surely the future of our club is worth that? If you are a member then you can influence how they proceed going forward and make sure the Phoenix planning is started.
I’ve messaged the Facebook page saying the same thing, that I’ll join if there are genuine contingency plans and asked them to shed some light on them.

I co-host the 1899 Yellow Army page with 1000+ likes so I’d happily get involved in promoting the TUST if I see a genuine plan of action.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

CraigUnder wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 15:50 I think what andy is trying to say is.. its only £2.. my £2 isnt going to make much of a difference; and i agree somewhat, the monthly subs have to be increased, to say £5 or something because if the shit hits the fan someones £2 a month isnt going to do anything in the way of keeping the club going... didnt the Dave Phillips lot dismiss TUST as a potential buyer because they didnt have enough cash?

Pretty much yeah Craig. Also it's well known that Torquay United has often been associated with being tin pot, amateurish and lacking ambition but that is what £2 a month says to me. Yes they want to make it affordable for all which it can be put I'd have wanted for the trust to set up, aim the bar high and really go for it. You can't do that with most even including me paying £2 a month and it does feel tin pot and it feels like a bit of a joke although I know clearly it isn't and again, don't want to offend anybody.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Yorkieandy wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 16:18

Pretty much yeah Craig. Also it's well known that Torquay United has often been associated with being tin pot, amateurish and lacking ambition but that is what £2 a month says to me. Yes they want to make it affordable for all which it can be put I'd have wanted for the trust to set up, aim the bar high and really go for it. You can't do that with most even including me paying £2 a month and it does feel tin pot and it feels like a bit of a joke although I know clearly it isn't and again, don't want to offend anybody.
I stand to be corrected but I'm pretty sure that £2 per month is pretty standard for a football trust. When they relaunched the trust explained this as the reasoning behind the low fee.

What this thread illustrates is that they can't win whatever they do. If they had charged £5 there would have been plenty who wouldn't/couldn't join because it was too expensive. Now we astonishingly have people saying they won't join because it's too cheap! You really couldn't make it up. :|
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

We all think differently and i think i've clearly explained the reasons behind my thinking re: the trust and hopefully i've done it without offending anybody involved with it and i would appreciate if others could respect my way of thinking without criticising.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

I didn't say anywhere that i wouldn't join because it's too cheap.
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by torregull »

Several members top up their fee with an additional donation per month.
Other income is generated via the Torbay Council Lottery where supporters can nominate TUST as their cause.