Is this all 'FAKE NEWS'

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Is this all 'FAKE NEWS'

Post by MellowYellow »

Is this all 'FAKE NEWS'!

"It has been important for us to find the individuals who we think can adopt our plan for sustainable success and can bring the talent, experience and contacts that are key for a club wanting to climb and top the National League. These guys tick all the boxes for us."
– Geoff Harrop, Torquay United General Manager

"We're tarred with this 'we're bottom of the league, we're rubbish'. Well, we're not rubbish any more - we're getting there,"
Gary Owers - Torquay Utd Manager

“I am, like most people who care for the club, hugely frustrated by the results."
Clarke Osborne - Owner of Torquay United

“The directors are in advanced negotiations to dispose of Riviera Stadium and its underlying investment in Torquay United AFC Ltd.”
GI Accounts 2016

was "proud" of the job he did at the club "through all the madness off the pitch".
Former Torquay United boss Kevin Nicholson
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I’m bored of people regurgitating the “we’re not rubbish anymore” quote every 2 mins.

If memory serves me right that was after the Ebbsfleet game. Who was there? Because I was and we certainly weren’t rubbish, and it looked for all the world that we would survive comfortably after that.

Unfortunately that quote is going to hang over GO now, but I wish people would take it in the context that it was said in.

I’m fairly confident that anyone who was there that night wouldn’t have foreseen how things have gone since
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

Surely Mellow you’ve missed the biggest one of the lot off? ....

Nicho .... “Whoever takes this group of players over will feel like they’ve won the lottery” ..... or words to that effect!

How wrong was he!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

Think I could buy into that Jeff if GO had said 'we're not rubbish today' rather than 'any more - were getting there'. Getting where?

However your point is taken, as long as you don't come back and tell me Osborne is 'like most people who care for the club'.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

CP Gull wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 19:16 Surely Mellow you’ve missed the biggest one of the lot off? ....

Nicho .... “Whoever takes this group of players over will feel like they’ve won the lottery” ..... or words to that effect!

How wrong was he!
Touché CP Gull
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

CP Gull wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 19:16 Surely Mellow you’ve missed the biggest one of the lot off? ....

How wrong was he!
To be fair, we all thought the squad was a big improvement over the one from last season........
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 19:58 To be fair, we all thought the squad was a big improvement over the one from last season........
Agreed, Dave. Unfortunately though so many (in fact pretty much ALL!) of them have missed so much game time through injuries - and not only that but he (Nicho) never signed a fit for purpose replacement for Brett Williams. That said, if the likes of Gowling, Klukowski and Higgins were fit and available I personally would pick them ahead of quite a few of the present incumbents. I suspect though that Owers has “burnt his bridges” with a few of them.

It was interesting to hear Owers post match interview with Radio Devon today - in which he suggested that ALL of the squad (not just the 16 selected today) but including the “injured” ones needed to show “how much they care” for the club. I may be reading too much into it, but I cant help but feel that maybe he was suggesting that the likes of Gowling (especially) need to get themselves off the treatment table and back in the side - as clearly he would be an improvement on the “kids” we have got now ... likewise Klukowski too, in my opinion.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

The excuse trotted out that we’d have all been happy with Nicholson’s signings on paper, is the same one trotted out by defenders of Alan Knill when he was signing the likes of Karl Hawley and Ben Harding. We’re not the experts but we’d have to do well to mess it up anymore than the managers we have had since 2013.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

It's not an excuse mate. I don't think there were many at the time who didn't feel the squad wasn't improved on the previous couple of seasons. With all the additions by Gary Owers since he took over I find it simply shocking that there has been no improvement in results. Who is to blame for that, Nicholson still?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Think it depends on how much of the budget Nicho blew on signing loads of crocks. Nicholson is at fauLt for lumbering us, in much the same way Alan Knill did, with injury-prone journeymen which provide the bulk of the squad. However, if they really were the lottery winners he proclaimed, then Owers should be doing better.

Nicholson probably needed to go but Owers was never a good appointment.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

80% of problem is firmly rest on the shoulders of this seasons strike force!

I’m not blaming them, of course they would all tell you that they are good enough to score 20 goals a season. However in reality, none of them have enough quality to individually create and score half a dozen a season.

From the very start of our preseason campaign it has been obvious to anyone who follows football that we lacked a target man, where is he?

A good targetman will hold up the ball, create and score goals. Also act as another defender for set pieces.

TUFC has been the master of its own disaster.
Bad luck has not seen us sink to the bottom of the league, it’s bad management!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Bring back Shaun Harrad! If nothing else at least he could hold the ball up and take a lot of buffeting in the process. Expect he's retired now anyway.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

hector wrote: 07 Jan 2018, 11:35 Think it depends on how much of the budget Nicho blew on signing loads of crocks. Nicholson is at fauLt for lumbering us, in much the same way Alan Knill did, with injury-prone journeymen which provide the bulk of the squad. However, if they really were the lottery winners he proclaimed, then Owers should be doing better.

Nicholson probably needed to go but Owers was never a good appointment.
Harrop and Osborne are responsible for our demise this season as they have overall control of finances / budget control.

Harrop managed KN out of the club by knowingly risking the future of TUFC. The time taken (lost) whilst also attempting to seek Harrop’s preferred successor to KN, further increased that risk.

Extra money was then pumped into Owers’s budget in an attempt to justify Harrop’s appointment. It all then backfired due to their inept management performances!

Osborne is probably ranting at the extra cash he’s given to Harrop. Osborne would wish to spend as little as possible in his attempt to realise the potential profit in TUFC.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

budegull1954 wrote: 07 Jan 2018, 12:01 Bring back Shaun Harrad! If nothing else at least he could hold the ball up and take a lot of buffeting in the process. Expect he's retired now anyway.
Harrad is plying his trade 5 miles from me in the beautiful tourist trap of Matlock in Derbyshire. A bit of a coup when they got him in over the summer and he started well as did Matlock but they are drifting towards the wrong end of the table now with Wivels beloved Whitby.
Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Darren Moore

Post by Parkys People »

Torquay United hire a youth team coach to RUN.THE.CLUB on a day-to-day basis.

Fake news?

Disgraceful, but no.