An open letter to Clarke Osbourne.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

nickbrod wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 21:39 He's even more unlikely to read this as his name is Clarke Osborne. You'd be advised to send your letter to Gaming International. Sorry but writing on here might make you feel better but it's not going to the person who matters.
Why not? He's been on here for some time actually.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 22:18 Agree yorkie , all I would say from my opinion if the club went bust and lost plainmoor say , then for me the identity has gone. Scarborough is a good example , there ground is now housing and though they have a home now its nothing compared to the old ground.
I see what you are saying West but it's only like say a club moving grounds like for example Middlesbrough are now at the Riverside when before it was Ayresome Park. Rotherham were at Millmoor but now have the New York Stadium and there are many other examples. Times change and a phoenix Torquay having a temporary home until a new smaller purpose built one could be funded and built would be all part of the adventure. Beats travelling around the country getting smashed by village teams every week and being ignored and mugged off by players, manager and board every frigging season.

A new home for a new club would be the ultimate aim. I've been to Scarborough's ground a few times now, the Flamingoland Stadium and whereas a year or so before they moved into it they were playing at Bridlington Town's ground 15 miles away and getting circa 500 attendances, now they are getting well over a thousand every game now and are joint top of the league. This is a league 3 tiers below Boreham Wood yet they get nearly a thousand more fans through the door. I'm sure this could happen at an AFC Torquay.

The Flamingoland Stadium is only a small ground but it's their new home and they have new hope and pride and good luck to them. Their club went bust due to the usual tosser owners but through spirit, togetherness and hard work from a dedicated few they have a new club and a bright sustainable future. Torquay have a bigger fanbase than Scarborough and the possibility to emulate this is there but not the will.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Yorkie , Rotherham and Middlesbrough ECT have upgraded from there own home to wonderful stadia.
Point i was making if we go bust and lose plainmoor we would be lucky too use paignton green using jumpers for goalposts. Who knows if we went bust and plainmoor was available if we could still use it.
I've not seen a game at Scarborough but I actually did a delivery there as I'm a HGV driver and managed a look around. It's only small but I bet a good game with a full house would be good atmosphere

Good points yorkie , what a bloody mess mate.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

The point i was making about the likes of Middlesbrough and Rotherham is that their former 'spiritual' homes if you like were demolished and they relocated to new stadia in new locations. Just like if Plainmoor was razed forcing the club to build a new ground. Change happens and although history and heritage is an integral part of a football club, it will always have both regardless.

I saw Scarborough in their early formative days play local to me at a village called Teversal in Derbyshire and literally it was a pub match but Teversal are a village team with no fans whilst Scarborough had 500 and the ability to quickly climb the leagues simply due to having significantly more resources than their opponents.

I agree, it's a mess and has been for 6 or 7 years now and will continue to be so without serious fan intervention.
Last edited by Yorkieandy on 06 Jan 2018, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Agree totally. Perhaps we need
A figurehead to represent the fans to pull us all together. Perhaps I'm talking crap , tired and so frustrated.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Southampton Gull wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 22:24 Why not? He's been on here for some time actually.
Well if he is he's not taking any notice of what's posted.