Are these latest signings the last roll of the dice for TUFC

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

I suspect that the main reason for Merse currently acting up like a bear with a sore head is that his hoped for scenario for this season isn't coming to fruition.
He has a deep, undying hatred for Kevin Nicholson. I don't think we know why but I may have missed the explanation somewhere along the line. He derides him in nearly every posting he makes and has been trying to convince us that Nicholson should have achieved considerably more than he did despite the very challenging circumstances in which he was forced to operate during most of his tenure.
In order to justify his abuse, Merse then needed a tactically aware manager with excellent motivational and recruitment skills to step up to the mark and take us up the Table. Sadly for him Mr Harrop got it all wrong and we ended up with Owers and Kuhl who are making Nicholson's achievements look better by the day.
Sadly for all of us the rest is history
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

tomogull wrote: 07 Jan 2018, 15:40

On the issue of covenants, I believe the covenant on Plainmoor is that it is to be used for recreational use. At present, the pupils of the Spire School (formerly Westlands) have to traipse up to the Quinta playing fields for their sports. How much better if they could have the use of Plainmoor, and thus the terms of the covenant would be preserved. In a quid-per-quo, Gaming International could be granted planning permission to build on the Quinta land which is a more 'upmarket' area than Plainmoor - i.e. higher property prices. To my knowledge, this has never been suggested in the media but it would be a fairly obvious course of action.
The above scenario was first mentioned back in February 2016 when an unnamed american property developer offered to build TUFC a new stadium on the willows in return for Torbay council giving them land to develop in another part of the bay.
Then things quickly went quiet until a few months later GI turned up on the scene. The only connection between the two was the involvement of Pete Masters.

As for covenants, is there really a covenant restricting plainmoors use? The reason I ask is because back before the then Torquay Council brought plainmoor the cary estate was looking to sell the plainmoor land for housing development. Torquay council bought plainmoor at the going rate, the land was not gifted by the Cary estate. As to the legal power of a covenant, well just remember how Nick Bye got past that one.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

On the subject of local councillors. I agree with Tomogull that Adrian Sanders is a good one. However, there are very many self serving grease bags who become local councillors, most of these in my experience I have to say are in the Tory Party. I don’t live in Torbay, but in South Hams. There are one or two decent councillors here, notably John Birch (interestingly from the same party as Adrian), but I wouldn’t give the majority of them the time of day, and some of them are utterly repellant creatures.
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

Jack wrote: 07 Jan 2018, 16:17 I suspect that the main reason for Merse currently acting up like a bear with a sore head is that his hoped for scenario for this season isn't coming to fruition.
He has a deep, undying hatred for Kevin Nicholson. I don't think we know why but I may have missed the explanation somewhere along the line. He derides him in nearly every posting he makes and has been trying to convince us that Nicholson should have achieved considerably more than he did despite the very challenging circumstances in which he was forced to operate during most of his tenure.
In order to justify his abuse, Merse then needed a tactically aware manager with excellent motivational and recruitment skills to step up to the mark and take us up the Table. Sadly for him Mr Harrop got it all wrong and we ended up with Owers and Kuhl who are making Nicholson's achievements look better by the day.
Sadly for all of us the rest is history
:goodpost:
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

I have respect for O&K there is no doubt they know their stuff, what they don’t have is a magic wand, Decisions were made to change the manager due to increasing pressure, you can’t blame CO for trying something different, at least they tried, a shakeup might have worked, but it hasn’t and now with the benefit of hindsight it might have been better to have left everything as it was, it wouldn’t have been any worse that’s for sure. We are on a long road and hard work and determination will achieve results in the end, it has to. I’m fed up reading the cynics on here keep going on about the ground being built on, if that happens then it happens but it won’t be easy for them. Nobody is looking forward to relegation, whoever they bring in there is no guarantee it would click.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Therein lies your problem. Take our eyes off the ball and the club will be gone.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Relegation v plainmoor bulldozed ....if club survives period then I'd rather play in western league at plainmoor than the other optuon.
I may not have the best business skills , but I have common sense and it's like someone coming in and buying a street of councils houses and building a block of flats under control of a private landlord.

No way
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

Southampton Gull wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 09:07 Therein lies your problem. Take our eyes off the ball and the club will be gone.
I wouldn’t say anyone’s taking their eye of the ball, but what the hell do we do? CO is the man in charge of the finances as the club doesn’t seem to be financing itself, if the club can’t get the players and equally as important can’t get the “team” to click and the magic wand has stopped working then what? We definitely need another lottery winner then just maybe? I am buying more tickets now than I ever had! With just that in mind! Although I would be completely anon as you get no thanks from some🤞
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

notnow wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 11:12 I wouldn’t say anyone’s taking their eye of the ball, but what the hell do we do? CO is the man in charge of the finances as the club doesn’t seem to be financing itself, if the club can’t get the players and equally as important can’t get the “team” to click and the magic wand has stopped working then what? We definitely need another lottery winner then just maybe? I am buying more tickets now than I ever had! With just that in mind! Although I would be completely anon as you get no thanks from some🤞
:goodpost: :goodpost:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

notnow wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 09:03 I’m fed up reading the cynics on here keep going on about the ground being built on, if that happens then it happens but it won’t be easy for them.

So because I, like Merse, keep banging on about not trusting Osborne and Harrop I'm labelled a cynic?

Just how difficult do you think Osborne will find it to get his wish? He doesn't give a toss about you or I, even less about the club so long as it facilitates his ambitions to take advantage of a land deal.

What we do is stop the silly in-fighting and stay united. I warned people on here way before even Merse would have you believe BTPIR scooped the news. Harrop was opening his trap to anyone prepared to listen while employed at Yeovil and was trying to lay the foundations for when he rode into Plainmoor and took over. He's had a relatively easy time of it while overseeing a disastrous couple of seasons endeavours. He bungled the sacking of Nicholson, the extended stay of Herrera and then the appointment of Owers which has hardly been a success.

What can you do? You can carry on annoying the hell out of local politicians, you can join with others and raise the issue at every opportunity, tell other fans what is going on, most are still living in a fantasy where we come out of this with a shiny new ground. It'll never happen under Osborne, that's been proven time and time again and at bigger clubs than ours.
Dave

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Or you could hide his crisps and Mars Bars.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Southampton Gull wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 14:42

What can you do? tell other fans what is going on, most are still living in a fantasy where we come out of this with a shiny new ground. It'll never happen under Osborne, that's been proven time and time again and at bigger clubs than ours.
This is the simplest way any fan can try to make a difference. As Dave says, so many fans are still in the dark about the situation due to the disgraceful behavior of the "local" paper.

Tell any fan you meet what the score is and keep telling them until it sinks in!

Also, join the trust! They will be the only people able to pick up the pieces if and when our club ceases to exist. If you don't agree with how they are proceeding or think they should be doing more then let them know. I can guarantee that the trust board would be delighted to have your input and any offers of help would be gratefully received. Remember it's YOUR trust so get involved and make a difference before it's too late.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

I'm sorry but i'm finding it difficult to believe or in fact comprehend that there are still fans out there that haven't yet twigged that there's some serious sh*t wrong with the ownership / structure / running of club and where it's heading?

If this is the case then they don't need to wake up and smell the coffee that Merse is very kindly offering but more they need to get down to the local psychiatric unit sharpish.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

The percentage that are frequenting social media is a fairly small section of the fanbase, Andy. You'd be surprised, there's a big world out there where people do other things than bitch online :)
Dave

Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Southampton Gull wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 15:36 The percentage that are frequenting social media is a fairly small section of the fanbase, Andy. You'd be surprised, there's a big world out there where people do other things than bitch online :)
I know that Dave but surely if you are going to games every week and trudging down to Plainmoor then you must have a sort of innate feeling inside that there's something seriously amiss here and there has maybe been something seriously amiss for a good number of years?

Is it really simply a case of fans rocking up to Plainmoor, watching another crud loanee contribute nothing in another drubbing, glancing at the Herald to see the club marooned at the foot of the NL table, shrugging their shoulders and saying, "oh well, better luck next week" and then forgetting about it until the next game comes around?

I know not everyone uses social media but even so, you'd have to be pretty dim to not know that the club is going one way and that there must be serious underlying reasons for this.