Are these latest signings the last roll of the dice for TUFC

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Are these latest signings the last roll of the dice for TUFC

Post by notnow »

If these latest signings fail like previous signings is there time to try others? I guess it’s never too late but surely we have to get positives now or face up to what will be the inevitable if it isn’t already in some fans eyes!
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

No experience. Not good enough.

Ok Plymouth lad has potential but if I'm honest It just feels a smack in the teeth how we are producing players like this.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Its pretty much all over already but it may not stop the dice being rolled.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

Obviously the club has tried, but if the finances are limited and the players aren’t out there We clearly have to accept that unless something doesn’t click now at this stage which it did under nicho then, well, we just have to accept lower league footy! All or nothing right here right now!
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

Post by aggrey_25 »

so another article today from owers stating he is looking for that focal point uptop.

last week he stated or herald stated that 2 strikers were coming and he had calls with players who were going to be joining and surprise surprise nothing has come of it.

why do they even bother making these promises? just tell the fans once its done, or simply say the search continues. false hope false promises means we are left with an 18 year old to save us!! no experience being bought in, i understand players will look at our league position and not fancy it but thats fine, dont promise us that we will have 3/4 new players of "football league" quality when it wont happen!!

why are they not tapping into their reading contacts, really starting to question their worth and appointment.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Just where did you read Owers promising that?

I scan the media pretty extensively and don't remember that; if you're quoting the Herald Express then don't ~ what a discredited rag that is!

Anyone with any knowledge of football would realise that if a player has more than one option then a side at the bottom of the league facing regional football next season is going to be the last in the queue so don't kid yourself that the task is not as difficult as it is for the management who came into a mess with a squad of unfit, injury prone 'sicknotes'. The manager has been remarkably loyal to some of those characters and persevered with most of the players that were here when he arrived...now is the time for wholesale change because most of that lot clearly have no appetite for the fight!
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

merse btpir wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 11:05 ..now is the time for [highlight=yellow]wholesale change[/highlight] because most of that lot clearly have no appetite for the fight!
Wholesale change?? they've brought in an 18-year-old kid, who has started 2 games and come on as a sub in 7, and a lad who wasn't getting a game at Colchester. The players that have left, Davey, Bobb, Mcquoid, Murphy were all the managements signing, on short loans. why put themselves in a situation where all the loans run out at the same time, its pathetic management. I'm, not a Nicholson fan, by any stretch but you have to ask why he wasn't given the funds at the start of the season these two mugs have wasted.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Owers and Kuhl aren't up to a job of this magnitude. We know that now. We know they've had limited funds but i assumed they knew that before accepting their positions.

It isn't their fault that the club are bottom.

Just say a week after Nico was sacked with the club still in a good position and other clubs all around on similar points tallies, GI appointed Martin Allen and gave him sufficent funds to go out and source a core group of players. Does anybody think that the club would now be bottom of the entire league?

Exactly.

If GI meant business and wanted a successful football club then they wouldn't have taken so long to appoint somebody. Then they wouldn't have appointed a pair of nobodies (with all due respect and meant purely in footballing terms) from the lower echelons of non league football. They also would have supported the new appointments significantly in the transfer market to enable the club to just go on that run to get clear of trouble in ample time.

All the decisions made by GI were deliberate and done with one goal in mind (IMO although it's so obvious it's like being hit in the face with a wet fish).

Yes Owers and Kuhl are clueless but GI put them there and continue to hang them out to dry. Owers and Kuhl are just the epitome of the Sandi Shaw Eurovision song title back in the 60's.
Last edited by Yorkieandy on 05 Jan 2018, 12:15, edited 3 times in total.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

goody2449 wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 11:51 Wholesale change?? they've brought in an 18-year-old kid, who has started 2 games and come on as a sub in 7, and a lad who wasn't getting a game at Colchester. The players that have left, Davey, Bobb, Mcquoid, Murphy were all the managements signing, on short loans. why put themselves in a situation where all the loans run out at the same time, its pathetic management. I'm, not a Nicholson fan, by any stretch but you have to ask why he wasn't given the funds at the start of the season these two mugs have wasted.
I don’t think that the squad Nico put together at the start of the season resembles cheap though. They are all experienced, 30+ year olds who have had decent reputations, and would likely have families, mortgages etc to deal with that you wouldn’t get with a younger player. I just don’t think Nico used his money wisely.

My concern at the start of the season was that Nico effectively put together a side of players who he played against and rated. It almost resembled a League 2 Select XI from 2011/12. If they’d all been able to replicate their form from that era we’d have been laughing. But as it was, they were all well past their sell-by date and injury prone.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

This continuing disrespect and rubbishing of a management who have had to come in and stabalise a dreadful situation is just ignoring the facts.......so many players were clearly unfit and either injured or hiding they had to get more bodies in. That loans finish together is more to do with them starting together; nothing more, nothing less it is the loaning club that is in the driving seat not the borrowing one.

Look how many unfit for purpose players on the books have contracts to the end of next season.........Clarke, Gowling, Pittman, Kuklowski ~ players that came in unfit and went missing almost straight away; and there are more. Owers can only get them out if they choose to go and I wouldn't be too confident of that. That is not his management that brought this situation about is it?

Nicholson wasn't 'given the funds' because the owner had no confidence in him, obviously.
Last edited by merse btpir on 05 Jan 2018, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Am I wrong in thinking Nicholson did have a decent budget but didn't spend it wisely?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Jeff wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 12:10 I don’t think that the squad Nico put together at the start of the season resembles cheap though. They are all experienced, 30+ year olds who have had decent reputations, and would likely have families, mortgages etc to deal with that you wouldn’t get with a younger player. I just don’t think Nico used his money wisely. My concern at the start of the season was that Nico effectively put together a side of players who he played against and rated. It almost resembled a League 2 Select XI from 2011/12. If they’d all been able to replicate their form from that era we’d have been laughing. But as it was, they were all well past their sell-by date and injury prone.
You've hit the nail on the head. Theyr're all on north of £750 pw which is ruddy good in this league and on two year contracts too which means they get paid right through the summer which many don't in this league.

....and you're right; it was a 'Dads' Army' shopping list drawn from what he remembered rather than what he should have known. The National League is no comfort zone for declining players, no classroom for learning management and is tougher to get out of (at the right end) than ever League 2 is.

Failure to grasp the very basics and facts of life of football at this level is what has done for the club; from the boardroom, through the previous L plate management to the comfort zone sicknotes easing out their careers on the English Riviera.
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by goody2449 »

merse btpir wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 12:13 [highlight=yellow]This continuing disrespect and rubbishing of a management who have had to come in and stabilise a dreadful situation is just ignoring the facts......[/highlight].
In your opinion that is Merse.....

They've had pretty much all season to sort it out and get in who they want. Nicho was gone after 4 games. They've had the option to loan in who THEY want and THEY choose!! This is as much their fault as anyone elses. They were heralded as experienced with loads of contacts, have we seen any of these contacts pay off? Have we seen any of their experience when the team goes one nil down and all the player's heads drop? is it not their job as managers, leaders of men to galvanise the team and push them on, encourage and give some belief, some fight???

As for the loans, they are a mutual agreement between the two clubs, Torquay taking on a player that isn't getting a game (cos we're not going to pluck anyone from a starting lineup!) is helping the parent club out as much as Torquay. Therefore, the negotiations are pretty even. And if we are only getting them for a month, that is down to our management teams incompetence.

more incompetence this week. We've 'lost' 2 defenders and brought in a 'number 10' and an attacking midfielder!! Brilliant management that!!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

It was yesterday's HE podcast in which DT told us the key players are on £3000 a month and just how many games have Clarke, Gowling, Pittman, Klukowski started in total? Answer: 39. Not exactly value for money.
Also interestingly DT also told us Blissett went to Plymouth for £30000. That's more than we were led to believe when he went for an "undisclosed fee"!
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by goody2449 »

nickbrod wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 12:37 It was yesterday's HE podcast in which DT told us the key players are on £3000 a month and just how many games have Clarke, Gowling, Pittman, Klukowski started in total? Answer: 39. Not exactly value for money.
Also interestingly DT also told us Blissett went to Plymouth for £30000. That's more than we were led to believe when he went for an "undisclosed fee"!
I completely agree Nicho, nor his signings were good enough. (injuries cant be helped though, doesn't matter what league you're in).

But with the games, time on the training pitch, the financial backing the current management team has had, should we not expect more than 4 wins all season and all our hopes pinned on an 18-year-old lad on another single months loan from Plymouth???

It cant always Nichos fault??