Are these latest signings the last roll of the dice for TUFC

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Sorry but Southampton Gull is correct. I've been posting for ages about the atypical Torquay 'fan' who turns up at Plainmoor. Talk to most of them about what's happening and their eyes glaze over and they move on.
The current situation needs more local/national publicity but that's pretty unlikely.
In days gone by I recall many a time when Mike Bateson stood in the Directors' Box at the end of yet another home defeat and received all kinds of verbal abuse by a stream of people walking past from the Popside. I don't recall anything like that when Dave Phillips was in charge and neither does it happen now. Perhaps people feel, in these strange times, that it's 'safer' to hide behind a keyboard later.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

The problem is that many people still get their "news" from the mainstream media. They'll tell you that if any of this "rumour mongering" was true it would have been reported in the Herald Express.

They are conditioned to view anything on social media or forums as "Fake News".
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

nickbrod wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 16:38 Sorry but Southampton Gull is correct. I've been posting for ages about the atypical Torquay 'fan' who turns up at Plainmoor. Talk to most of them about what's happening and their eyes glaze over and they move on.
The current situation needs more local/national publicity but that's pretty unlikely.
In days gone by I recall many a time when Mike Bateson stood in the Directors' Box at the end of yet another home defeat and received all kinds of verbal abuse by a stream of people walking past from the Popside. I don't recall anything like that when Dave Phillips was in charge and neither does it happen now. Perhaps people feel, in these strange times, that it's 'safer' to hide behind a keyboard later.
Great point
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

Southampton Gull wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 14:42
So because I, like Merse, keep banging on about not trusting Osborne and Harrop I'm labelled a cynic?

Just how difficult do you think Osborne will find it to get his wish? He doesn't give a toss about you or I, even less about the club so long as it facilitates his ambitions to take advantage of a land deal.

What we do is stop the silly in-fighting and stay united. I warned people on here way before even Merse would have you believe BTPIR scooped the news. Harrop was opening his trap to anyone prepared to listen while employed at Yeovil and was trying to lay the foundations for when he rode into Plainmoor and took over. He's had a relatively easy time of it while overseeing a disastrous couple of seasons endeavours. He bungled the sacking of Nicholson, the extended stay of Herrera and then the appointment of Owers which has hardly been a success.

What can you do? You can carry on annoying the hell out of local politicians, you can join with others and raise the issue at every opportunity, tell other fans what is going on, most are still living in a fantasy where we come out of this with a shiny new ground. It'll never happen under Osborne, that's been proven time and time again and at bigger clubs than ours.

Ok, you can keep annoying politicians but they aren’t going to listen or do anything until CO makes an application to do it, then that will be the time to oppose it, until then it’s not a real threat.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Jerry wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 17:29 The problem is that many people still get their "news" from the mainstream media. They'll tell you that if any of this "rumour mongering" was true it would have been reported in the Herald Express.

They are conditioned to view anything on social media or forums as "Fake News".
Ok. So i'm presuming these 'heads in the sand' zombiegulls who have no idea what's going on can read? They must be able to as they buy the Herald. Quite why people are relying on garnering the support of fans that are dim enough to A) buy the Herald B) read the Herald and C) actually believe anything that is written in the Herald is beyond me but maybe there is an option open to help with this and they can rescue some dignity.

Can't Merse, Dave et al come together to produce a sort of mini leaflet thingy (don't know the correct term, sorry) that details everything that has gone and is is likely to go on if CO executes the plan and then hand a copy to everyone who walks through a turnstile at TUFC on a matchday?

Yes i know, it's a pretty ridiculous way of getting a message out there when we have social media nowadays and it will cost but at least this way everyone will be able to see the truth and then be able to make a decision based on what they have read. They may choose to do nothing or they may choose to investigate further and thus join the growing band of fans who want GO out of the club.

The cost could be met by crowdfunding or setting up donations for a separate fund to help with things such as this. I have no idea what the trust are doing currently although i appreciate they have had lots off issues with members being ill etc so not criticizing just asking.

The truth is there are people out there intent on destroying the football club. The beauty about having high functioning autism is that i'm still right even when i might be wrong. ;-)

Can't see that i'm wrong on this one though so therefore i must be right! 8-] ;-)
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Flags with anti GI messages, protests (proper ones), songs and chants about the owners. Is Bobby still doing that fanzine? Maybe he can put some stuff in there unless he doesn't want to get involved which you could understand. Just stuff. Do stuff.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by nickbrod »

I suggested a leaflet 'drop' as supporters go into Plainmoor last year but nothing happened. If it can be funded it's worth a try. Frankly anything's worth a try more than posting on here to, basically, the converted.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

notnow wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 18:21

Ok, you can keep annoying politicians but they aren’t going to listen or do anything until CO makes an application to do it, then that will be the time to oppose it, until then it’s not a real threat.
I despair. Do you really think he isn't making moves as we speak?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

nickbrod wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 18:30 I suggested a leaflet 'drop' as supporters go into Plainmoor last year but nothing happened. If it can be funded it's worth a try. Frankly anything's worth a try more than posting on here to, basically, the converted.
Sounds a great idea
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

nickbrod wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 18:30 I suggested a leaflet 'drop' as supporters go into Plainmoor last year but nothing happened. If it can be funded it's worth a try. Frankly anything's worth a try more than posting on here to, basically, the converted.
Absolutely Nick. I just had no idea that the fan apathy / lack of interest from fans as to why their club is rooted to the foot of non league and potentially going under existed. Up against it then big time.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

Southampton Gull wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 18:30 I despair. Do you really think he isn't making moves as we speak?
Maybe he is, I don't know, If I listen to you then I assume he is, It sounds as though he has done it before so there is history, but like I have said, until he actually does it all I am saying is there is nothing we can do that will be effective. Other than keep reminding people of his possible intentions, what can we do?????? except watch very closely.

I do appreciate your concern, it is reassuring that there are fans watching their every move and anticipating their agendas, it's definitly better to be ready and waiting and prepared for all eventualities. so fair play to you.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Notnow has a point. There is nothing anyone can do that will be effective. The fans have no control. All they can do is highlight the issues - continually though and not just when the sh*t hits as notnow suggests, maybe use the trust or set up a new one to put funds aside in case GI pull out or start a new phoenix club and wash their hands of the current one (which most i'd appreciate won't want to do).

Personally, as everyone knows, i'm for the third option as i believe it's the only one left available but each to their own.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

notnow wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 18:21........... until then it’s not a real threat.[/i]
This has to go down as the singularly most stupid example of naivety since Thea Bristow came out with: "The Conference is where I came in, if you like, so it’s reasonably familiar territory. We know what it takes to get out of it, and I am confident that we are going to be great in it, as we were last time"

It is this example of the total inability to recognise what's staring you in the facxe that seems to inhabit TQ1 far more than any other postcode in England.

I'll remind you of more pearls of wisdom from the club's benefactor at the time of relegation from the Football League for the second time in 2014.

"We are going to support Chris (Hargreaves) as much as we possibly can, to have a new start and build something new. We are all a lot more upbeat than you would expect, and we want to look forward to the challenge and tackle it. I do have this sort of guilt gene inside me, that says I have presided over one of the worst seasons in Torquay’s history. People tell me I shouldn’t feel like that, and I do believe that I should try and push it aside and get on with the job in hand. That’s the most important thing.”

Mrs Bristow and her three vice-chairmen ~ former chairmen Alex Rowe and Simon Baker and ex-managing director Bill Phillips ~ had met for a post-relegation planning meeting at Plainmoor. She followed that with a call to manager Hargreaves, who was starting the build-up to United’s final game of the season, at home to one-from-bottom Wycombe Wanderers. Mrs Bristow stressed: "It’s all still very raw and l know how everyone is hurting, but let’s have a great party at Plainmoor on Saturday"

Having made fools of themselves conga-ing around Field Mill the week before; these delusionists were now going to have another party to celebrate relegation. You couldn't make it up could you!

Delusion and complacency....the same toxic cocktail that had dragged the club down from where it was just two years before. Even Phillips was over egging the pudding when he said: "It's very disappointing, but we do believe that we've got the infrastructure to get ourselves back in the League as soon as possible. We haven't been playing like a relegation team for a while now, but it was lost early season. We will come back - we've got to come back."

It was if they believed they had a God given right to Football League status; that the rapid loss of it so soon after regaining it for the first time was a blip, a slip on the way; that this little non league competition would be easy pickings to string another promotion winning run in without really trying. Entrusted to a guy who had never managed before and we all know where that got the club don't we.........and today the ridiculous talk of suddenly becoming a winning force in National South still pervades in TQ1

Because we had only 'fans' on the board and not one professional; Hargreaves was not only able to bullshit his nonsense but also fool those fools into the bargain...........no wonder the club was getting into the state it was.

Then we had more fans on the board when Thea had tired of it all and another who could bullshit his nonsense ~ step forward Dean Edwards and then for a third time we had Kevin Nicholson doing it. Soft soaping them with cliche'd passages from some American Football Manual about giving the players his back; constantly referring to them by their nicknames as if he was just another member of the dressing room; and generally making a hero of himself by narrowly avoiding catastrophe for two seasons on the trot.

Yet still there are those who fondly reminisce; who demonise those who point out that the Emperor's new clothes were in fact non existent and now we are being told that here is nothing to worry about until Clarke Osborne put in his planning application..........the delusion lives on!
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

merse btpir wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 20:14 This has to go down as the singularly most stupid example of naivety since Thea Bristow came out with: "The Conference is where I came in, if you like, so it’s reasonably familiar territory. We know what it takes to get out of it, and I am confident that we are going to be great in it, as we were last time"

It is this example of the total inability to recognise what's staring you in the facxe that seems to inhabit TQ1 far more than any other postcode in England.

I'll remind you of more pearls of wisdom from the club's benefactor at the time of relegation from the Football League for the second time in 2014.

"We are going to support Chris (Hargreaves) as much as we possibly can, to have a new start and build something new. We are all a lot more upbeat than you would expect, and we want to look forward to the challenge and tackle it. I do have this sort of guilt gene inside me, that says I have presided over one of the worst seasons in Torquay’s history. People tell me I shouldn’t feel like that, and I do believe that I should try and push it aside and get on with the job in hand. That’s the most important thing.”

Mrs Bristow and her three vice-chairmen ~ former chairmen Alex Rowe and Simon Baker and ex-managing director Bill Phillips ~ had met for a post-relegation planning meeting at Plainmoor. She followed that with a call to manager Hargreaves, who was starting the build-up to United’s final game of the season, at home to one-from-bottom Wycombe Wanderers. Mrs Bristow stressed: "It’s all still very raw and l know how everyone is hurting, but let’s have a great party at Plainmoor on Saturday"

Having made fools of themselves conga-ing around Field Mill the week before; these delusionists were now going to have another party to celebrate relegation. You couldn't make it up could you!

Delusion and complacency....the same toxic cocktail that had dragged the club down from where it was just two years before. Even Phillips was over egging the pudding when he said: "It's very disappointing, but we do believe that we've got the infrastructure to get ourselves back in the League as soon as possible. We haven't been playing like a relegation team for a while now, but it was lost early season. We will come back - we've got to come back."

It was if they believed they had a God given right to Football League status; that the rapid loss of it so soon after regaining it for the first time was a blip, a slip on the way; that this little non league competition would be easy pickings to string another promotion winning run in without really trying. Entrusted to a guy who had never managed before and we all know where that got the club don't we.........and today the ridiculous talk of suddenly becoming a winning force in National South still pervades in TQ1

Because we had only 'fans' on the board and not one professional; Hargreaves was not only able to bullshit his nonsense but also fool those fools into the bargain...........no wonder the club was getting into the state it was.

Then we had more fans on the board when Thea had tired of it all and another who could bullshit his nonsense ~ step forward Dean Edwards and then for a third time we had Kevin Nicholson doing it. Soft soaping them with cliche'd passages from some American Football Manual about giving the players his back; constantly referring to them by their nicknames as if he was just another member of the dressing room; and generally making a hero of himself by narrowly avoiding catastrophe for two seasons on the trot.

Yet still there are those who fondly reminisce; who demonise those who point out that the Emperor's new clothes were in fact non existent and now we are being told that here is nothing to worry about until Clarke Osborne put in his planning application..........the delusion lives on!

Complete Drivel and missing the point, I give up! :na:
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by nickbrod »

People might not like the messenger but Merse has a message which can't be ignored.