Are these latest signings the last roll of the dice for TUFC

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

It's like when Hargreaves took over from Knill. Yes there were some bloody awful players in that squad but also players that should have been able to get the club away from the drop. They weren't all stiffs.

Hargreaves continued to add loanee after loanee, most of which were terrible and contributed nothing other than maybe Coulthirst.

Hargreaves wasn't able to motivate anybody already at the football club to give more. Hargreaves wasn't able to identify anybody from the loan market who could come in and do a job. Hargreaves wasn't able to apply tactics appropriately in order to win games of football. Hargreaves wasn't able to do anything other than look like a tw*t and wear clothing smartly.

Owers and Kuhl don't look like tw*ts or wear smart clothing but the other similarities are mirrored.

I don't understand why there are still attitude and application issues with players at the club when Owers and Kuhl are supposed to be this no nonsense pairing. That's what i'm saying about appointing a manager like Martin Allen who the players initially would respect and maybe fear a little and respond to. The Cowley brothers at Lincoln are a different mould as they were also relatively inexperienced when they got the Lincoln job but they are such great blokes, they get down to the players level almost like mates but still managing to command that healthy respect. Owers and Kuhl would maybe come in and attempt to shake things up a bit but there are players who just won't respond because they don't respect them as they haven't done anything in the game and aren't on their level personality wise.

It's all a bit complex really. Modern footballers eh? There's some lazy, arrogant ****. You get paid so play, produce or sod off!!
Last edited by Yorkieandy on 05 Jan 2018, 13:07, edited 3 times in total.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

BTPIR was telling you it was 'worth' £30K at the time Nick!
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

nickbrod wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 12:37 Also interestingly DT also told us Blissett went to Plymouth for £30000. That's more than we were led to believe when he went for an "undisclosed fee"!
Nick, from memory it was an initial fee of £15k but with a further £15k to be paid if PAFC secured promotion .... which they duly did of course.
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

We’ve had it!!
After winning the Sutton and Maidenhead matches that should have been the turning point and confidence needed to put a run together instead it’s gone backwards big time.
We won’t get out of it this year. Only so many times you can do it and we’ve been lucky to escape it twice, unfortunately won’t be a third. I sincerely hope I’m proved wrong but I can’t see it. No points against Wrexham or Eastleigh and that’s it. Expect even out League crowds to go below 1000.
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

Agreed. Sadly I don’t think we’ll make much of a fist of it (escaping relegation) this year either. In fact with Mark Yates at the helm at Solihull achieving a couple of wins recently and looking to strengthen his squad (linked with Danny Wright and Kyle Storer at Cheltenham) together with Paul Cox at Guiseley seemingly being given some money to strengthen (and just brought in a decent centre half from Nottingham Forest) I am fully expecting us to fight it out with Chester for bottom spot. Realistically I cannot see us securing 40 points never mind 50 - which in itself may well not be enough this season anyhow.
Cruisinho
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Cruisinho »

I think we are passed the last roll of the dice to be honest. Too much to do, and I wouldn’t be surprised if we fall even further behind at the weekend.

Will Owers be here next season? Do you think he could put a good team together?
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

Cruisinho wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 14:03 I think we are passed the last roll of the dice to be honest. Too much to do, and I wouldn’t be surprised if we fall even further behind at the weekend.

Will Owers be here next season? Do you think he could put a good team together?
Yeah in division 5 of the South Devon league maybe...
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

When Owers and Kuhl were appointed I was not expecting miracles and for us to shoot up the table but
expected a gradual improvement in results.We have not had that, when they arrived we had 3 points from 10
games and were 8 points from safety, now we are 10 points away, they have managed a point a game and after
bringing in a series of mostly failed loanees we are back to square one. 9 of the team that started v Boreham
Wood were here when they arrived, only Davey and Andresson were not. Back to the same players and no progress
in 17 games and 3 and a half months. Simply not good enough !
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

desperado wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 14:31 When Owers and Kuhl were appointed I was not expecting miracles and for us to shoot up the table but
expected a gradual improvement in results.We have not had that, when they arrived we had 3 points from 10
games and were 8 points from safety, now we are 10 points away, they have managed a point a game and after
bringing in a series of mostly failed loanees we are back to square one. 9 of the team that started v Boreham
Wood were here when they arrived, only Davey and Andresson were not. Back to the same players and no progress
in 17 games and 3 and a half months. Simply not good enough !
Difficult to argue that
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

I'm with CP Gull. I predict it will be either us or Chester at the bottom of the league at the end of the season. Not because two relatively inexperienced players have been brought in (remember Kevin Nicholson brought in Jason Rees, Danny Racchi and Toby Ajala the season before last - inexperienced players who did a hell of a job for us), but because Gary Owers doesn't seem to know how to organise a team that plays attacking football.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

Whilst there is still hope there is the will to keep fighting, clubs like ours need to have people at the top that do it for the love of the club and obviously have the finances to throw at it, sadly it is clear that we have neither of those, it is run and financed with maximum profit being the priority and limited risk, that will be achieved at either success on the field or otherwise, being real estate/development whichever comes easiest. Phillips had the club at heart but no funds. We all know this and it’s just a fact of life.
The club will at some point be taken over by the fans, just not in this league.
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

You could argue that some eighty years ago the board of Torquay United should have been a lot more wise and business like and bought Plainmoor instead of just renting from the council,bit like buying your own house and not throwing dead money away each month, why all the board members from way back never thought of this is bewildering as all were so called business men.Even right up to the Bristows, better to spend their money on buying the ground than just wasting it away
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

frenchgull wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 13:57 You could argue that some eighty years ago the board of Torquay United should have been a lot more wise and business like and bought Plainmoor instead of just renting from the council,bit like buying your own house and not throwing dead money away each month, why all the board members from way back never thought of this is bewildering as all were so called business men.Even right up to the Bristows, better to spend their money on buying the ground than just wasting it away
Absolutely right, The ground should be owned by the club and it must be enshrined in the deeds that it must stay a sporting venue! The council should have an obligation to allow this as it serves the people/community in which they bleed council tax from directly, It would be a far superior place if it were owned and not rented.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Clarke Osborne IS Torquay Utd as things stand. What would he have done if we already owned the land?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 14:17 Clarke Osborne IS Torquay Utd as things stand. What would he have done if we already owned the land?
Spent NO money at all to hasten the demise !!! :'(